Hello Rotary People

abhiv0508

Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Abhi. I live in Brooksville, Florida (close to KBKV). I've wanted to fly since I was a young kid in India and have lived in the US for over 38 years. I started to take flying lessons in 2017 and got past my solo cross-country part, then had to put it aside due to family medical reasons. But here I am 7 years later, unable to shake the bug! recently went to Sun n Fun in Lakeland, FL and the bug really bit me! I was especially interested in powered parachutes and gyrocopters. After some research, I am more interested in gyrocopters. Very very early in this journey, but at 48 almost 49, I hope I am not too late to start. Looking forward to learning from everybody here and growing.

Should I continue my Private Pilot license or should I pivot and get some other more suitable license to fly a Gyrocopter? Unsure if I am even asking the question the right way. I want to be able to fly with my wife and visit places in FL.

Hi Abhi, it is quite possible you may have visited the Gyro Technic stand at Sun n Fun but as you specify that you want to be able to go places with your wife then you will be looking at a two seater.

These can be quite expensive but second hand ones do come onto the market and this forum would be a good place to keep and eye out. The fact that you have gone solo and done solo cross-country will not have been wasted as it has been a good introduction to flying.

I would suggest finding a gyro instructor and doing an introductory flight or two to sample it and see how you feel. Powered parachutes are very much cheaper but also pretty limited by wind conditions and generally fly in the calm early mornings. Also not too certain about taking your wife on one of those.

Greg Spicola is a gyro CFI who operates out of Tampa North Airpark and one I can recommend but there are others on this link here:-

I understand Abh. I've own 3 fixed wings, 3 PPC's & 3 Gyros. Today, I choose the Gyro as my favorite to fly. (I just bought another PPC to fly on these very calm, beautiful evenings). But, my advice to you, is get your Sport Pilot License for Gyros, then enjoy life. You will have the most fun aircraft to fly!

Abhi, I got my license at the age of 65 (1½ years ago) and I wish, I'd done it in my 40s....
And even having soloed earlier - you'll have no problems at all....
Best wishes,
Erik

I have my gyro for sale here and on Barnstormers, it is a single place Dominator gyro and would make a very good first time gyro to learn on and build some experience before moving onto a two place gyro.

Thank you guys! This is a slow journey for me. I plan on moving into my new house in Brooksville in a month or so. Then get my flight sim hooked up again. Its a full motion flight sim. Once I get that in place. I want to start to get some practice at home with all the procedures, from takeoff to landing, pattern work, navigating, etc. Once I have about 3-4 months of good repetition on the sim. I'll go back to the school after that and see if I can wrap this up.

one concern I always had was my motion sickness. I am still concerned about it After about 45 minutes of flying, I'd usually have a mild case of motion sickness. Hoped it would slowly go away, but I probably didn't give it enough time. Still concerned, but open to suggestions.

one concern I always had was my motion sickness. I am still concerned about it After about 45 minutes of flying, I'd usually have a mild case of motion sickness. Hoped it would slowly go away, but I probably didn't give it enough time. Still concerned, but open to suggestions
Rotorcraft don't respond to air movement with the same motions or rhythms as fixed wing, and are usually less likely to induce sickness.

I have some accupressure wrist bands that I give to glider passengers and they seem to help (an elastic cuff with a litle knob that pushes in on a point between the tendons inside the wrist). Mine are old but you can probably find them online.

When Bob Hoover was learning to fly, he suffered greatly from motion sickness. He eventually overcame that temporary physiological deficit by shear determination, and the rest is history.

Now a days, one can consult with an Ears, Nose and Throat physician (Otolaryngologist) to see if their perpencity to motion sickness is an acute or chronic medical condition.

Before submitting an application for a FAA medical with a FAA designated Aviation Merdical Examiner (AME). If one is a member of Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assocation (AOPA), one can receive Medical Resources assistance from the association before applying for a FAA Medical.

Wayne

Abhi:
We are in Zephyrhills and make AR-1 gyroplane and also a light sport airplane.
I am originally from Pakistan but moved here 35 years ago as a teenager.
I fly and have worked with trikes, airplanes and gyroplanes. Gyroplanes have less issues with wind and thermals so your mild motion sickness symptoms may not come about in them as much. However, you should get it checked out in case you have certain inner ear issues that can be corrected.
Check https://www.silverlightaviation.com

I too suffer from severe motion sickness so bad that when I’m riding in a car with someone else, I have to be in the front seat and I have to have the window open. I’m driving I’m fine. I can’t go on any boats that are small I have never experienced motion, sickness, flying a Gyro in my life I have experience motion sickness in it airplane while pulling G’s if I was not at the controls.

Gyros will not sustain g’s like a fixed wing. It’s a momentary pull and then the blades speed up and goes back to normal.

Abhi, I hear ya about motion sickness. I can get sick in just about any type of conveyance -- car, boat, bus, carnival ride, plane, you name it. Yet I've been flying gyros for over 50 years, and am a licensed commercial boat captain and sailing instructor.

One theory of motion sickness is that it's an adaptive mechanism that most of us inherit. It's "adaptive" in that our bodies seek to get rid of our stomach's contents when our brains sense symptoms of poisoning. Seeing the horizon tipping, or feeling the "solid ground" rocking and rolling, are interpreted by our brains as symptoms of ingestion of nightshade or some other toxic substance. So the brain orders us to throw up. In theory.

The good news is that motion sickness rarely occurs in a craft that you are driving. When you're at the controls, you're more in tune with the apparent movements of the horizon. You anticipate those maneuvers that make your stomach feel light. A standard cure for seasickness on a sailboat is simply to take the wheel. It seems to work in aircraft and cars, too.

Also, gradual acclimation works. I take meclizine (brand name Bonine) if I plan to sail into rough stuff on the open ocean. A full dose makes me just about bullet- (barf-) proof. However, over the years I've acclimated to most sea conditions to the extent that I usually don't need the stuff anymore. And, since this drug and Dramamine have various side effects, it's just as well to wean off them as soon as you can.

Abhi, I hear ya about motion sickness. I can get sick in just about any type of conveyance -- car, boat, bus, carnival ride, plane, you name it. Yet I've been flying gyros for over 50 years, and am a licensed commercial boat captain and sailing instructor.

One theory of motion sickness is that it's an adaptive mechanism that most of us inherit. It's "adaptive" in that our bodies seek to get rid of our stomach's contents when our brains sense symptoms of poisoning. Seeing the horizon tipping, or feeling the "solid ground" rocking and rolling, are interpreted by our brains as symptoms of ingestion of nightshade or some other toxic substance. So the brain orders us to throw up. In theory.

The good news is that motion sickness rarely occurs in a craft that you are driving. When you're at the controls, you're more in tune with the apparent movements of the horizon. You anticipate those maneuvers that make your stomach feel light. A standard cure for seasickness on a sailboat is simply to take the wheel. It seems to work in aircraft and cars, too.

Also, gradual acclimation works. I take meclizine (brand name Bonine) if I plan to sail into rough stuff on the open ocean. A full dose makes me just about bullet- (barf-) proof. However, over the years I've acclimated to most sea conditions to the extent that I usually don't need the stuff anymore. And, since this drug and Dramamine have various side effects, it's just as well to wean off them as soon as you can.
I am in the same boat! (Pun Intended) I use to sail a lot, but not consistently and before any serious off shore adventure (Or race)
I would take Bonine a day before and taper off the dose for 3 days. If i was hitting the big seas somewhat regularly, I wouldn't need to repeat it, but after more than 6 months without sailing, I would do it as a preventative.
Bonine doesn't make you tired like dramamine...
I have always heard that the issue is you brain not dealing with the inner ear's motion perception conflicting with what your are seeing. On boats it is definitely worse if you go below deck and can't see the horizon...
I did get woozy once in a 172 with a friend practicing wing overs, but have not had any issues in open gyros....

You definitely can train yourself out of motion sickness, a retired AF colonel I worked with would say:
"All you need to do to be a fighter pilot is to go to Disney land and ride the roller coasters every day for a month while practicing doing calculations on a calculator"

His contention is the only qualifications needed is to be able to take orders and press buttons while not getting sick!!

Abhi:
We are in Zephyrhills and make AR-1 gyroplane and also a light sport airplane.
I am originally from Pakistan but moved here 35 years ago as a teenager.
I fly and have worked with trikes, airplanes and gyroplanes. Gyroplanes have less issues with wind and thermals so your mild motion sickness symptoms may not come about in them as much. However, you should get it checked out in case you have certain inner ear issues that can be corrected.
Check https://www.silverlightaviation.com
Hi Abid, I sent you an email yesterday. Hope you got it. Would love to connect and learn from you. Happy to run to Zephyrhills its not too far away. I have been looking at your website and watching your videos on Youtube. Learning as much as I can right now.

Hello guys… I am making an RC heli and thinking of making use of dewalt cordless drill machine planetary gear but I am stuck with the very thought of fixed pitch tail rotor using electric motor or through actuator and take drive from the main motor . And is there any calculator/ software avail for this rpm weight and torque calculations or everything to be made and then tested . Have seen so experienced ppl here but I wonder how to approach them the queries I confront on daily basis .!! Plus what about making the gear ? Do the ABS 3D printed gears WORK ?

Last edited:
Hello guys… I am making an ex heli and thinking of making use of dewalt cordless drill machine planetary gear but I am stuck with the very thought of fixed pitch tail rotor using electric motor or through actuator and take drive from the main motor . And is there any calculator/ software avail for this rpm weight and torque calculations or everything to be made and then tested . Have seen so experienced ppl here but I wonder how to approach them the queries I confront on daily basis .!! Plus what about making the gear ? Do the ABS 3D printed gears WORK ?
😳