Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings

Cool as always. Now today I'll give you some time off to fix that camera mount and make it work better. You can make that today's goal LOL. Hell with gluing up...... :)

That camera mount is disgusting the way it shakes. The cabin feels like I ams sitting on the ground...and with my headphones on...I can barely hear the turbine whine.

I have to get to a big glueup....see ya later.

Stan

Stan, I'm a little disappointed you can't figure out a way to make a solid camera mount. We've been watching you helicycle build thread for who knows how long and we've seen all the photos of your spiral stairways and yet you haven't figured out how to make a tiny sturdy, solid camera mount platform. What's the deal? ;)

Stan, I'm a little disappointed you can't figure out a way to make a solid camera mount. We've been watching you helicycle build thread for who knows how long and we've seen all the photos of your spiral stairways and yet you haven't figured out how to make a tiny sturdy, solid camera mount platform. What's the deal? ;)

Ya know what really gets me Tim .... He is out in his yard digging up a broken waterline with his backhoe and pretending he is a plumber digging for kerosene for a helicopter. That I can understand.

But what really gets me ........ HE HAS HIS OWN BACKHOE !!!!!!! Sheesh !!!!

https://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27335

Tim- Thanks for the motivation that your post #123 gave me! My videos are still evolving, but my last bunch of videos have come across a camera angle that I feel captures some of the feel of flying a helicopter. Being able to see the collective and cyclic movements as well as peaking outside the cabin gives a good perspective. Ok, I have the "position" of the camera nailed, I just need to replace the single bolt attachment point the camera has with extra support to stop it from buffeting out in the wind. You have to give me a little time figuring this out Tim...............I am not retarded, just s--l--o--w--! Ha. I will take your challenge and give up some flying time and make a solid camera mount you will be proud of. Just give me" 2 weeks" is all I ask! Stan

Tim- Thanks for the motivation that your post #123 gave me! My videos are still evolving, but my last bunch of videos have come across a camera angle that I feel captures some of the feel of flying a helicopter. Being able to see the collective and cyclic movements as well as peaking outside the cabin gives a good perspective. Ok, I have the "position" of the camera nailed, I just need to replace the single bolt attachment point the camera has with extra support to stop it from buffeting out in the wind. You have to give me a little time figuring this out Tim...............I am not retarded, just s--l--o--w--! Ha. I will take your challenge and give up some flying time and make a solid camera mount you will be proud of. Just give me" 2 weeks" is all I ask! Stan

Well it is about time! ;) You did good Tim….when he sounds this way he is serious and we know it will end up being a really neat mount. It won't surprise me if later on he has the camera on remote-control…..with a view screen inside that shows what the camera sees….

I went to a friends house this morning.......and landed instead of just flying over like I have for years. He has a bunch of horses....so I was cautious about spooking them. Their ears stood up is about all. I landed and took off a few times showing my friend some quick stops.

Stan

Attachments

• Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings
    September18 001.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
    September18 003.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1
    September18 005.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1
    September18 007.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1
    September18 009.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
The Paxton Firedepartment is putting on a big benefit to help raise money for a young man who has brain and spinal cancer. The fire chief had asked me a year ago about getting a picture of their new firehouse someday from my helicopter. When I heard about this benefit and all the fire equipment being put on display......I asked if I could have the honor of hovering and taking a shot of the whole display. They were ecstatic to say the least.

I learned in helicopter training to minimize flying in the grey area of the HV curve....and for this occasion.....and the way that turbine and the rest of my helicopter is feeling.....I put my machine and self at risk for a photo. I took several...heres one of them.

I am going to their next Firehouse meeting and present them with a large blown up framed picture for their wall.

The fire chief is insisting to pay me....and I just said "I have never helped on one fire call in all these years....let me help just a little now. It was my honor to do it anyway"

Man,,,,what a fun mission.

Stan

Attachments

September19 002.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Monte- Yes...I had the collective frictioned up...and was just flying with the cyclic. It was a rush being able to do this......but I was full aware I was depending on that turbine for several moments. This was a rare opportuniity and very rare for me to operate out of the HV curve....

Stan

This is a hand held video....as you can see its not shaky like my external camera mount is. I have retired that mount and am trying something else. I want to keep the collectitve, cyclic, and pedal shots in the video giving the feel of flying this thing. For now...its hand held.

YouTube - September18 019

Stan

The high rotor rpm helps but this is one of the smoothest two-bladed choppers I've seen…..acts more like a well balanced four-bladed rotor. Thanks Stan for these fun to watch videos!

Ed- Thanks. It is by far the smoothest rotorcraft I have been in. I sure am glad I decided to polish the blades instead of paint them. Its no problem at all using Purple on the blades to take the bugs off and keeping them like mirrors. It makes me want to keep every bug spec off! When I am flying, my headset is on and I barely hear the turbine whine. Its hardly heard on the videos. Stan

Your high standard of workmanship and good design would seem to have been rewarded with some excellent handling qualities.

Certainly showed the difference by taking it off the mount, and yes that stick is not vibrating at all with what looks to be a light grip. Good job Stan.

Look forward to seeing the mount you will be rigging up.