Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings

Congrats on finally finishing the Helicycle and getting it flying. When you get more comfortable with the bird, is there any chance you could post a video showing was an autorotation looks like in it?

One thing that amazes me, is from what I could tell there has been little or no adjustments made to the flight controls and it still handles wonderfully. That means not only has the factory done an outstanding engineering and instruction job, Stan the builder has also had to follow them using precision and workmanship skills that are above and beyond the norm.

Looking at the pictures and seeing quality workmanship is one thing…..but watching this machine fly in the videos is quite another and more telling of both the man and the machine…..

Last edited:
Most of my videos will be inside the cabin from now on.
Stan

I know it is more stable in the cabin, but please help us non chopper pilots with more video of the collective. I have watched your hand on the collective as if I were the pilot. Never been in a helicopter, I can't seem to predict what your are about to do. A narration would be nice.

I thought you just threw in a little pitch and go. Obviously not! I guess I have watch too much Magnum PI, TJ's Helicopter Service "Island Hoppers" dodging bullets.

Ed- I can't take credit for how easy and stable this helicopter is to fly. That must go to B.J. Schramm who designed it, and. Doug Schwocherts ingenuity that made the turbine the engine we use. Doug also is the one who masterfully balanced my blades and set the reflex right on. Doug also saw to it that I had a smooth running turbine, on the numbers and no surging. I have flown it a lot now and it has never surged once.
My contributions were I believe I caused Doug to have an enjoyable and easy checkout, but I will let him say. I am really loving this experience, and it has exceeded my expectations quite a lot. I am just savoring the flights right now and probably won't fly for a few days. I have looked it over several times, and it is such an amazingly simple machine to maintain, I actually think it will be very minimal. Stan

Remember When

Remember When

I was looking back through Stan's build thread today after watching the videos in this this current thread and thought, hey, we don't have a good picture yet of Stan's smile while flying the Helicycle. But, I bet it looks something like this:

Attachments

• Ahelicycle 038.jpg
    Ahelicycle 038.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
Stan,

Can you run off road diesel in the turbine or does it have to be jet A? What is the difference between jet A and Kerosene?

that is too cool stan, I just glanced through the thread. thats awesome your flying something you built! I bet helicycle will get a sales boost! :lol:

Grant- It will burn diesel but only occasionally is recommended. It gets the inside more sootier. JetA has anti microbial additives and is more refined. Its the fuel of choice. K1 is a close 2nd and is what I am burning now. JetA also stays drier for high altitudes. If I need fuel in a pinch, I would land on a farm and buy diesel. Stan

I can't see where you've mentioned this yet.....have you done any collective down practice descents to get a feel for a possible needed autorotation? Also how many flying hours will you log before you practice a real autorotation?

Rotorplane- I have been practicing autos with a power recovery. It is necessary practicem. Agressive quick stops are necessary practice also. Most Helicycle pilots do just the power recovery practice, like the R22 does. There isn't much difference with a full down auto, except there is greater risk of damaging the skids. I will settle for now with power recovery. Stan

Ed- I am very aware how important a successful auto will be to the rest of my life, and my Helicycle is to me. I am drilling them into me, but its a very enjoyable drill. I was told to practice them first with no power removal, but just dropping the collective and letting the rotor rpm pull away from the engines normal flight rpm. Its still an auto with instant power awaiting to engage the rotors should I have the rotor rpm's drop below flight rpm. Its like doing autos with training wheels. If I screw up, my engine is there automatically to keep me from going into low rotor rpm mode. Don't forget, I have no instructor to save my botch ups like I did in the R22! This reminds me of going back to my gyro self training days. Doug told me after abiut 25 autos with no throttle cuts, then I could back off the throttle about 1/8th, and that's all that would be necessary. Then I will be getting used to rotor rpm's above and below flight speed. This rotor is much easier to keep control of than the R22..................................................................This is fun but a very very important part to my experience. I have the quick stops down nicely as I can stand it on its tail, decelerate, level the skids , stop all forward movement, and apply collective if it were a real auto to the ground. I have learned a lot, but have a lot more to learn. Stan

Good practice. Always have an eye on you rotor rpm. How high inertia would you say your blades are?

Here are some custom markings I put on my rotor tach for rpm ranges. I bought a multi color pack of electrical tape...and used the different colors to mark my gauges. I need to use an exacto knife just to neaten them up a little bit. The rotor stays locked in just into the lower part of the green. When I practice autos....I keep the rotor rpms in the upper green...and just into the yellow.

When I start backing off turbine rpm's....then I will be exploring the lower rpm's but will not go out of the lower green if I can help it! Theres room for error if I let the rotor rpm's get into the lower red, just so I am aware of it and take action.

The airspeed indicator is marked for the preferred 65 mph auto speed...so I like to keep it in the green....once you have the speed locked in...and the rotor speed locked in....its a fun ride down to the quickstop at the end....level to a hovering auto at zero groundspeed.....and then if its a real one....let it start sinking....then p-u-l-l- collective . or do a power recovery......

Stan

Attachments

• September6 003.jpg
    September6 003.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
looks good Stan,I got curved marker tapes from aircraft spruce,but have yet to put them on yet since I still don't know the ranges on my tachs on the Commuter.

Tim- I had bought some of those curved tapes for my SparrowHawk, and couldnt find any left over. You know how impatient I get...so I just grabbed what I had....I wanted it marked now! ha

Stan

I bought a multi color pack of electrical tape...and used the different colors to mark my gauges.

Careful what you clean your panel with. Any liquid cleaner with time will soften the adhesive on the tape. Then the tape will slide around and/or come off.

The electrical tape is good for a short term fix. But for a permanent fix the adhesive on the electrical tape doesn't hold up well on glass or plastic.

Chuck- I just take a microfibre towel with nothing on it and do the panel.

Stan

I'm so happy for you Stan! However I can't watch anymore of your video's. It just hurts too much! Cuz I'm not flying! I'm nearly in tears with happiness for you and a second later green with envy! Too much of an emotional roller coaster!

LOL

Kandace

Kandace- Thanks. You touched on something that is starting to bother me a little. Sure, I am having the experience of my life, and want to share it, but I know some would rather me put a sock in my mouth...and I can understand. I wont post near as aggresively from now on. The news is out...and I am just going to enjoy this thing to the max.

Whenever you want to fly down to my chopper channel...come on in....and I will demonstrate it.

Stan