Helicopter basics...my experiences

Running takeoffs in CH-47's look pretty funny - you get rolling on only the forward tires, aft are up in the air :)

Yes - like a 12-ton turbine-powered wheelbarrow.

I was at Linden NJ a few times when they staged the Marine One helicopters there in anticipation of the Prez flying into Kennedy for a NY visit. They would do formation rolling take-offs with three ships.

I was taught ... "Pedal, Settle, Pull."

Deathgrip on the Collective

Deathgrip on the Collective

I have had a few students that have had a "deathgrip" on the collective in the R22. The R22 has a governor that will keep the rotor rpms in the green range (if you let it!). For the governor to work properly, the throttle has to be allowed to rotate within the pilots hand, both increasing and decreasing as needed. The problem usually occurs when the relatively low time student is shooting an approach and the governor will slightly roll down as the collective is lowered early in the approach sequence, but as the approach continues and the ground starts coming up at them, the "deathgrip on the collective" occurs. Now when the start raising the collective to arrest their descent at the termination of the approach, they are preventing the governor from rolling the throttle on (with the deathgrip). This results in a loss of rotor rpm and the low rpm horn and light come on. The first time this happened, I immediately took the controls over, lowered the collective and rolled on throttle. Which nearly instantly cured the problem. I then landed the aircraft normally. The aircraft, and particularly the governor seemed to operate normally while picking it up to a hover. It took me a minute or two to finally figure out what the problem was, the key was that there was still throttle left to roll on. Had the student not been holding the throttle so tight, the governor would have rolled on throttle and rotor rpm would have been maintained.
I try to point out to students early on in their training that the throttle has to be allowed to rotate in their hand so that they don't make the same mistake.

On the R22, Had someone push themselves up onto the seat using the collective. Had someone manage to get the rim of their leather shoes between the pedals. Had a student refit the collective with the seat belt wrapped around it.

Had a student try to pull the mixture instead of the carb heat (even removed the plastic guard!) Always LOOK at what they are at!

Put the fuel cap on the pilots seat when you are refuelling, saves you losing it.

Stan I have found it a fact that when a hovering auto is being pulled on even the most talented pilot, it will turn out to be ugly. Period. The count down method takes away the ability to pull it off in real life. But it does prepare you for the check ride. I always taught to just keep the pedals up so we don't turn and even if you forget to pull pitch at the end but just settled into it, it was acceptable to the examiner. I found that keeping the nose straight and not moving the collective at all was easier than accidentally dropping the collective and smashing the heli. Automatic reaction after practicing autos to drop the collective alongside kicking the right pedal and pulling a slight aft! Big NO NO! Landing on the back of the skid will send a shock wave right through the frame. And it's not good on your spinal either. The examiner actually totally agreed on my teaching method and was amazed how well it worked and eliminated the bumping problems. When we go out and take a check ride we all expect the engine cut over a flat surface while the examiner sets it up (ever so transparently that it's soooo obvious) to play it safe knowing how dangerous it can be. So they won't pull a fast one on you. It happens more often on a CFI check ride. I had 3 of them. One right after he told me to take off and I started initial climbing to I tipped the heli forward ready to start moving forward was when he cut the engine. It was ugly!!!! But within 15 degrees from the original heading so it was a pass. He said he was just making a point so I don't get too cocky. It had worked! I am always ready..... :) Thanks to examiners who teach and not just critique. They are blessing to the industry so let me acknowledge them and thank them :)

Last edited:
Bell 47's can make you look good during unannounced throttle chops, things happen a lot slower than in the R22 or H269.

But in the R22 or Bell 47 don't think I'd really care to feel one without a collective pull unless you're starting from a 1' hover, the gear isn't nearly as forgiving as the 269's.

Here's a good one I witnessed from the ground during a CFI checkride - FAA examiner simulating stuck pedals in a Bell 47 does so with full left pedal applied. You can probably guess how that turned out, no way it was going to stop spinning before ground contact no matter how low the rpm got. The CFI applicant was sharp enough to abort the maneuver, FAA guy looked like he needed new shorts - he learned something there for sure!

I agree Stan, the sound the blades make on approach is Music to my ears. that and the slap of the blades when ya load them in a turn.

If this rain and crappy weather will ever go away, I might can pull my bird out and see if it will make some blade noises... :)

Right now my yard is all muddy and I am just not going to pull my nice clean baby thru the mud to the landing pad.