DeWalt Top 17 Contest

Hi Stan
Just looking at your pics and the way you explain things on the DeWalt site I think people can see your passion for your work, I think you are ahead of the posse!
Best of Luck!
Paddy

Stan, it's really cool to see the whole process of putting together a curved staircase. Good luck with the project.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

The DeWalt website is working great...however many are having problems loading pictures. I have a good hard running start...and have a stairway section completed...except for the bullnose starting step. Next will be all the curved handrailing that will be serpentining from the basement to the main foyer ...and on up to the second floor. I freakin am loving this challenge.:whoo:

The site is at www.dewalt.com/Top17

Thanks again for the support....and when the voting begins Dec 1st thru Dec. 15th....I will be asking you all to view the site and vote for what project that you feel deserves to win.

Stan

Stan,

You mentioned a bit about the pocket screwing.

Just wondering, what kind of screws are you using for the stairs.

I have found that when I'm building a project that envolves a lot of screwing it's better to purchase the screws that have the square drive heads instead of philips head screws.

Also found that a screw with a split notched type tip really helps with avoiding splitting of the wood.

That jig that you have for making the pockets for the screws is on my Christmas list now.

So what kinda screws are you using there?

Thanks and as always, wonderful job there!!!!!

Mark: That pocket hole jig is a Kreg tool. Its funny you noticed that. Flash back years ago...I was in Indianapolis at a huge woodworking show. Kreg was putting on a demonstration of this pocket screw tool. My jaw dropped open as I had a light go on inside my head. Here is a tool that I could now assemble stairways in a shop...like I had always dreamed of. There was a long line to buy one of these tools after each demonstration was given. I was in the next line buying one.

After using that tool....I can say without a doubt...that purchase was the SINGLE most important addition to my collection of key tools. It completely changed my life as I use it to internally attach many parts on my stairways.

The next year I came back to that same woodworking show....and was talking to the Kreg tool guy himself....and telling him what a superb tool it was for attaching risers to treads....tread returns to the treads....newels...etc. I showed him some pictures. I was offered a job to travel the country putting on demonstrations with this tool. I politely declined the offer....as I am too independant to get pigeon holed every weekend in a different city.

I use square drive screws exclusively. They have as you mentioned a slotted auger tip that screws right into the wood without splitting. Also the head of the screw has nibs that self countersink. You can drive 3 inch screws into solid oak or maple blocks all day long without drilling any pilot hole.

Stay tuned to www.dewalt.com/Top17 :drum:

Stan

Stan, I looked at some of the other guys stuff............You are doing a fantastic job with everything!

When do they choose the winner ?

How much longer till yours is finished/ installed ?

Chris: We will keep posting our pictures until Nov. 24th. the project completion deadline. Then the public will be directed how to vote once a day until the winner is picked on or near Dec, 15th.

Thanks for the comment...and you can keep checking in at

www.dewalt.com/Top17

Stan

What are the basic differences between the "freestanding" that you are doing & the "regular" supported version ?

You still have another set to make .....Right ?

StanFoster

StanFoster

Chris- Freestanding is having no support under the inside stringer. Totally freestanding is having both inside and outside stringers with no support to the floor. I will have another section made before I am done. I am getting ready to make the curved railings for both stairs. Stan

Just 17 days left to complete my stairways! Yikes....!!!:eek:

I am on track. Next week I am setting 3 stairways....two of which are the DeWalt competition stairways. I have the curved handrails glued up....have been working 5:30 a.m till 5 p.m. No.....I dont ever keep this kind of schedule...but the adrenalin of this contest is fun to burn off.

I MUST have these stairways set next week...I MUST have all the curved inclined rails installed...the curved foyer rails fabricated and installed the next week. These all have to be drilled out for the iron balusters. Then the stairways are being turned over to my stainman/painter for his part of the project. I do not apply the finish to my stairways.

Then I have to have the iron balusters installed and final pictures posted on Monday night the 24th.

You can check the progress of everyone at www.dewalt.com/Top17

I will be asking everyone to vote for whatever their favorite project is starting on Nov. 25th thru Dec. 15th. One vote per person per day. You can have as many as you want registered to vote per computer.

Let me put on my campaign hat and make some promises I cant keep.

I will buy everyone a new gyro or helicopter of their choice if they vote for me!!! just kidding....Its a campaign promise that will as typical not be kept.

Stan

I set the DeWalt stairways today. I have been fighting rain...and today at 4:30 a.m. I checked my Pilot-My-Cast and estimated I had 4 hours to drive a two hour commute with two stairways in tow...and get them inside the house. I arrived and it was a muddy sloped entrance I had to back into. My four wheel drive lost its push in the greasy mud...and I had to commodere a track hoe...and he pulled me on in. I then drafted 10 guys ....all were paid very well...and we got these behemuths inside. Later we lowered the one into the basement...then set the upper one. They both fit like pistons and I was reminded again why I love my profession. I thrive on a challenge...and setting a dual stacked curved stairway is about as challenging as it gets for me.

Just 12 days left....yikes!:eek:

Check out www.dewalt.com/Top17

Stan

Attachments

• aaaaadewalt17 528.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 528.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 529.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 529.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 530.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 530.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 531.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 531.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 533.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 533.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 540.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 540.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
Great job Stan. When you win this Helicycle will sure owe you for the endorsements. What does Tiger Woods get for an endorsement? Maybe your next project should be a Dewalt themed Helicycle.

It is a sad fact that real tradsmen are a dying race, being replaced by ignorant computers and dumb machines (more often than not operated by unskilled labourers).

Stan your posts like this one are a breath of fresh air and your creations are a credit to you, and your pride in your work is justified.

McEagle: Thanks. I am just about done with the stairways.

Here are some pictures of the handrail all set in place and joined together. The handrail of a curved stairway is the hardest to make as you have to blend a twisting and turning shape into straight transition fittings, then back to twisting and turning again. It takes a lot of handwork with chisels, scrapers, sanders, etc. Its tough to explain all the finesse that goes into just making a serpentine handrail flow nice, look pleasing to the eye...and pass International Stair Code !

Only 8 days left and I will leave this thread alone. Thanks for all the interest through comments here...and more so by e-mail.

Stan

Attachments

• aaaaadewalt17 549.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 549.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 551.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 551.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 552.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 552.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My deadline is next Monday for completion of my stairwork. I will then quit campaigning for votes! Please check in at www.dewalt.com/Top17 on Tuesday the 25th, and vote for what you feel is your favorite project.

I have all the stairway built now except for installing the iron balusters. A crew of 5 painters are finishing this stairway the rest of the week and will turn it back over to me next Monday...my deadline day so I can install the iron balusters. They have a lot of work....the treads and railing have to be stained and varnished. Then all this has to be taped off so the risers and stringers can have their spray finish applied. I never finish my stairways, and these guys are going to put in some big days to get this done in time for me on my deadline day next Monday.

Here are some pictures of the stairway getting its steel studs in their bellies awaiting the plaster crew. These studs automatically twist from the steeper pitched inside stringer to the shallower pitched outside stringer. Just like a propeller! This will be the foundation for a very pleasing to the eye helical shape. I love how the word "helical" kind of sounds familiar.

The one disadvantage my competition entry has is that even though my stairway will be done...the surrounding foyer, wall, floor, light fixtures,,painting, and just home cleanup will not even be started. Its kind of like taking a picture of someone all dressed up standing out in a mudhole.

Stan

Attachments

• aaaaadewalt17 571.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 571.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 568.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 568.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 577.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 577.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • aaaaadewalt17 570.jpg
    aaaaadewalt17 570.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
Thom: Thanks....I would appreciate your vote and anyone elses that feels my project is worthy of voting for.

I will be glad when this contest is over...and I am getting a little sheepish about posting so much on stairways here,,,even though its in the off topic section.

You all know I have a strong passion for building these things...and I will do my best to keep this topic off the forum from now on.

Voting next week at www.dewalt.com/Top17

Stan