CALIDUS: Rotax 912ULS or 914 ?

Alessandro

Hello to all Gyro Pilots from Italy!

I'm Alessandro, I have an ELA 07S 914.
It's a fantastic gyrocopter but I'm looking for "something enclosed" , better for the winter season...

I've seen that Calidus usually is equipped with Rotax 912ULS and Ivoprop variable pitch propeller.

Here in Italy the most of gyros are 914 (Magni, Ela) with fixed propeller; we have some 912ULS but are "longer" in take-off.. Especially in summer with 2 people.

Do you think that the solution used by Auto-Gyro is the best compromise?
Take-off? Cruise? Consumption?

I know that the main problem of 914 is buy it.....

Is there anyone who has tried both solutions?

Thanks for answers!!

Alessandro.

Hello,

bad weather in Italy? You gotta be kidding.
I have flown the Calidus only with the 912. My impression is that it is comparable to the MT03 (which in turn should be similar to the ELA) with a 914.

The Ivoprop is a must for the Calidus, as it flies faster than the open models and then there is a risk of overspeeding the motor.

Flight performance in hot weather I cannot tell, it is probably worth a try.

Kai.

We have a MTO Sport with the IVO Adjustable Pitch Prop and the 912 and a Calidus with the 912 and fixed pitch prop. This weekend we have had temps in the upper 90's f/34 C (100 f/35C on the airport ramp) and the take off distances have been greater and the climb outs a little sluggish. I would think that the 914 and adjustable pitch prop on the Calidus would be the solution to our really hot weather here in Maryland, USA. Also the time you close the canopy prior to take off is hot but once you are in the air there is enough air movement to make flight comfortable.

Mike

Thanks for the answers!

I remember my experiences in fixed wing and the performance of my plane with Rotax 912 UL 80hp and adjustable pitch propeller were the same of 912ULS 100 hp fixed propeller.

I posted this question because here in Italy all gyro pilots say: gyrocopter need power! The only solution is 914 fixed propeller! Stop!

But I've seen that in the world the are other interesting and cheap solutions..... :)

About the rotor in MT you use 27ft or 28ft ?

In my ELA I have 27 but some pilot test the 28 and they find more cruising speed, more climbing speed, less "ready" on the roll (a little harder stick), lower approach speed.

They do not return to 27....

What do you think about??

Thank you!

Alessandro.

Alessandro,

I fly planes and gyros with both versions and find that the 914 is not worth the extra if you really do not deperately need it (pressure density). Just the cool-off period is a pain. Then, extra weight, expense and another failure-bound component for 15 HP of extra power for a few minutes. A variable prop gives more benefit, in my eyes.

Cari saluti

As far as I know ELA will come out with an enclosed model. Why don't you ask the factory?

As far as I know ELA will come out with an enclosed model. Why don't you ask the factory?

Ciao Walter!

Thank's for the reply.

I have heard something about but do you know if Ela enclosed will be tandem or side by side?

Anyway I'll ask them...

Ciao.
Alessandro.