Auto Makers Get 13.4 Billion even with Bankrupsy talks.

m3tt5,

Hey here is an update for you, it's not 13.4 B anymore.

They seem to be getting 17.4 B now and Ford says they don't need any of it.

My next new vehicle will be a Ford because I don't run with loosers.

It will be a while before I buy a newer vehicle because I now don't have to be in a brand new vehicle to feel comfortable.

All I can say is they better not let the people of our country get too darn comfortable owning older material things.

The money mill is slowing down because the people with money are getting smarter and are now more conservative when buying.

Chrysler and GM need the money because their sales are in the dump.

Reason number 1 = Consumer Confidence.

My confidence as a consumer in their company is almost Zero now.

I used to be a ford man. I don't really care what I drive as long as it get's me their. I hope I am set for now I have two nice used trucks both have over 100,000 miles but I think they have a lot of life left in them. My wife has a nice car and I guess it has over 100,000 miles. But it is getting kindof small now that we have two kids. That's great I hope Ford can hold their own. It just seem's unfair that GM and other are getting money for being careless. I thought it was sink or swim and the guy that can swim win's. If GM would go under that would be great for ford I would think. So ford is thinking man this suck's. Is that not the name of the game stay ahead of the other guy and hope he fall's back. I don't know anything I can hardly spell.:help:

It seems all wrong, but so did the financial bail-out of the banks. Letting one like Lehman Bros sink, really made things bad, so maybe supporting the big car makers is good in the long run.

If you look at how wisely AIG spent their bail-out money by celebrating parties and flying everyone to London for the event, it makes you wonder, however. The German bail-out plan includes, that the general managers of the bank get their salary reduced to the brink of poverty: 500 000 Euros. So many are still hesitant.:eek:

But, if you think your government is crazy, consider this: GM has to sites in Germany (brandname Opel) and the German local and federal governments have seriously considered financially supporting them, as they were not getting the payment out of the mother company they had earned (Opel is doing a lot of R&D work for GM). Now that is what I call money down the drain.

Kai.

Check Consumer Reports to see who builds good cars. GM and Chrysler share honors for the worst-built cars. Ford has improved a bunch, and deserve our business. Chrysler builds the cutest cars, but they don't hold up. GM's big wheels are inbred, and sent Ross Perot packing years ago when he invested $850 million and starting GM how to do it right. If GM had listened to Ross, it would be solvent today.

Nevertheless, we have to help these companies survive; millions of jobs depend on them. At the same time, maybe we need to force Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda and the other foreign owners pay their people a little better and give them better benefits, while limiting the number of no-benefit temporary workers they can use. Make a bunch of those temps into regular workers and level the playing field.

...maybe we need to force Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda and the other foreign owners pay their people a little better and give them better benefits, while limiting the number of no-benefit temporary workers they can use. Make a bunch of those temps into regular workers and level the playing field.

Roger, what right do we have to "force" these companies into the same poor decisions that are killing off GM and Chrysler?

If you force Toyota to take on a couple thousand dollars more per car in expenses, and they start getting beaten by imports, why wouldn't they just move all their production back to Japan, and close their US plant? American consumers have already demonstrated they'll buy cars made overseas.

And what happens to all the people who needed those part-time and temp jobs?

If you want to support inflated paychecks, you already have a choice - buy GM or Chrysler.

My next new vehicle will be a Ford

I guess I'll keep Ford on my list for my next little work truck. The current Ranger is OK, and the new one gets even better mileage than mine which is great for a truck. I've been borrowing a Lincoln Aviator which is the same chassis but gets less that half the miles to a gallon! (25 to 11!) Of course, it has every gadget going, not that I can find the damn switches.

I'm gonna miss having a Corvette but I'm not going to buy from welfare queens. I'm sure the greens in government will make GM discontinue it anyway. Here comes cars designed by Congress!

Chrysler and GM need the money because their sales are in the dump.

Reason number 1 = Consumer Confidence

Everybody's sales are hosed because of the credit crunch (the guys who qualified for the zero percent deals now get a ten percent deal, the guys who got a ten percent deal don't get financing). And because of that confidence thing ("Will my job be there?"). Honda and Toyota are both down a third, and killed dead in their high-profit SUVs. Like I said, Mercedes idled their SUV plant (they can, because they're not UAW).

By the way, Congress is really proud of what they've done to the country. They just gave themselves a raise of about $5k each. Nice work if you can get it -- meaning, I guess, that your father or uncle was in the seat before.

A Christmas gift suggestion for the nation: 1 better-government kit, comprising: rope, lamppost, Congressman. We can figure out how they go together.

cheers

-=K=-

You people had better brace yourself for whats yet to come. unfortunately

It is not surprising what is happening when we all have a negative attitude. The mind(attitude) has a wonderful way of writing history. In other words ,why does the markets go up or down? Our emotions or perceptions often dictate.
Kym.

I only buy used cars, that way it does not make any difference.
Retailers hate people like me. I'll buy used before I buy new on many things, let someone else take the hit on depreciation. Besides, once the newness wears off, it will be used the rest of it's life. :)

I heard a Chrysler worker on the wireless yesterday shouting his mouth off and asking why he should take one dollar reduction in pay.

Reminded me of the car workers we had holding the country to ransom in the seventies here in the UK. Those fools killed our auto industry off and the attitudes of the American workers will kill yours off too.

Thank god we won't have to suffer any more carbuncles like the classic PT Cruiser on our roads.

Remember Eastern Airlines!
Their workers would not take a pay reduction, wanted a raise, well the company locked the doors, They killed the goose that layed the golden egg.
Auto makers exactly the same, the Union mentality will take them down.

Exec's are way over paid as are union higher ups.Most production workers are not worth what they are paid.Being a former big 3 contractor they beat vendors down for 1/2 pennies or you did not give the buyer's a large enough Christmas present or the right free game tickets.But it will devastate the country because of the millions connected to them.Dealers, mechanic's,smaller shops,robotics industry and other manufacturer's.By the same token it can not be business as usual.Need major change and not by the politicians.
Just an old mans opinion

from 1980

from 1980

Attached is an interesting look at the auto industry written in 1980.

Attachments

• 1980reduced.jpg
    1980reduced.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
The winner and the loser

The winner and the loser

Since when do you ever reward the loser with the 'prize?'

I think Toyota and Honda should get the 17.4B!!

I understand that everyone is upset. Remember you always have ballots in your pocket to vote with. It's called dollars. I vote with mine all the time.

For those of you that know,..
If you want to bring in a new system, you must first make the old one look real bad!!

Also,
The banking execs just gave themselves a huge bonus last week. For what?

Jk.

How long it took Toyota to realise it was going to loose 4 billion?
How much they make in one year?
Where was this money lost?
Is the stock still there?
Did they play russian roulette with the market and lost that money in bad papers?
Ford has been living off the good trucks, never could make a decent 4 banger that Joe Shmoe would be proud of it.
The last 10 years have shown them the path, they just kept forcing bad products down your throats with the Made in USA label as sugar coat.
It is your money they are playing with, be more carefull, the money tree needs some caring.
Heron

I wonder when the oil companies are going to get a bailout? Oil was $39 a bbl this morning, before long all the American oil companies will be hurting, I hope the Gov can step in and save them too............. :)

scottessex,

Well for sure they gonna need bailing out.

Only problem is it looks like they are the ones stepping in and helping but in reallity it's us that pays.

We have oil so cheap now why?

Because we are importing it that's why.

We are getting it so cheap from over seas that it is gonna hurt our own oil companies.

And guess who you will be bailing out?

The Bush family and the Caney family.

They are saving the best for last and you know what?

We will be the suckers again and bail them out too.

These guys are not stupid and they think differently than the every day business man.

Oh they know how to line things up and you won't know you have been suckered untill they are long gone.

I read the other day that George Bush's doughter is buying up South America land as fast as she can.

They are gonna move over there after they have sold us all out.

They make it to ware they make money comming and going and they don't care who pays the bills.

At one time they called it Treason!!!!!!!!

I told you so . . .
Five years ago I told you that . . .they are grooming Brazil to move over!
Don´t know who they are!
But I know it is your money they are using . . .
Heron

Heron,

What the problem here is the plan is so bizare that 90% of Americans would say "NO WAY" this can't happen in the USA.

The Bush family has an agenda unlike anything every day Americans would ever believe.

I met a Girl in the early eighties and I'll just mention her last name, Marceleis
or something spelled like that.

I think some here might know the family name Carlos Marceleis from New Orleans.

She worked for the Bush owned Pogee fish processing plant down here in Cameron, La.

Told me quite a bit about her employer.

One of the main ferilizers that corn grows with/on is a product of this company.

Connection = Biofuels = Ethanol.

In South America they burn ethanol a whole lot more than here and the land down there is good for growing CORN.

I once worked on an oil rig Savage Ponca in the Gulf of Mexico.

Savage Ponca owned by Ponca Drilling = Bush family.

So if you burn any kind of gassoline in your auto, Ethanol or the regular grude oil fuels your paying the bush family in one way or the other.

Another thing they grow down in south America well, Sugar Caine.

They are experimenting with making fuel with sugar caine now.

So either way you look at it the Bush's get paid.

A little history about back in the Kennedy days when we were involved with Cuba back in the (Bay Of Pigs).

I read that military operations were conducted from oil platforms in the Gulf from none other than owned by Ponca Drilling = Bush's.

And something you will never hear other than right here from me, at the Port of Lake Charles, during the Bay of Pigs, military weapons were loaded onto boats destined for Cuba by non-military labor.

I'll never say by who, I forgot a long time ago.

The Bush's have been in it for a long time and they expect you to pay.

Bush Family = ethanol fuels + petrolium fuels = Pogee Fish based fertilizer, Zapata Hainey = Crude oil drilling company, Ponca .

After this country is spent, why not start on South America.

I'll go hide for a while now.

Last edited: