Another perfect summer day in November!

Absolutely beautiful photos and great reporting on the flight Vance. Thank you for sharing with us. Looking forward to more of your postings.

Thank you Edward, we are glad to have you along.

Thank you, Vance

Thank you Stan,

I am glad you like them. We will keep them coming.

I miss your posts.

Thank you, Vance

Thank you for the encouragement Tim.

Our camera is dying and we are not clear on what to do.

Thank you, Vance

A Warm summer night in November!

A Warm summer night in November!

We are a little late with the rest of the story because we went flying tonight.

It is still 59 degrees at 8:00 pm and the lights of the airport and the City were stunning.

I found it a challenge to manage distance and I tended to flair a little too high. I got better with more practice.

All the ways I use to manage depth perception with one eye are very different at night.

The warm clear night made up for my lack of skill.

I actually found the blackness of the fields more intimidating than the city lights.

I now have 20 more night landings in my log book. When I was up solo I practiced lots of different engine outs. The tower was very helpful. They wouldn’t let me land on the unlighted crosswind runway. I thought it would be good practice.

As soon as Ed gets done with the pictures I will post the rest of the story of yesterdays adventure.

Thank you, Vance

I ran her up to 70 miles per hour as we descended toward Atascadero. We had already made eight frequency changes. SMX ATIS, SMX ground, SMX tower, Oceano weather, Oceano CTAF, San Luis Obispo ATIS, San Luis Obispo tower, Paso Robles weather and Paso Robles CTAF.

There were a lot of oak trees, power lines and dry rivers as we made our way north.

They do take their soccer and baseball seriously.

More to come, Vance

Attachments

• 11 16 08 553.JPG
    11 16 08 553.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 562.JPG
    11 16 08 562.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 571.JPG
    11 16 08 571.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 551.JPG
    11 16 08 551.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 574.JPG
    11 16 08 574.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 575.JPG
    11 16 08 575.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 579.JPG
    11 16 08 579.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 588.JPG
    11 16 08 588.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
We could see The Estrella Warbird Museum as we approached the Paso Robles airport.

Radio communications seemed effortless until I read the layout of PRB wrong and announced the wrong position and intentions. No one commented when I corrected myself as I read the numbers on the runway.

After a long taxi we arrived at the pumps and filled up. We headed for transient parking and were warned about three Cobras that would be flying in around noon.

We settled in for our hundred dollar hamburgers outside with a good view of the entire facility. The Predator, as always, looked out of place amongst the fixed wing aircraft. Lunch was great with some homemade bread and some very special cheese.

We then taxied three miles to the Estrella War Bird Museum. We parked off the taxiway by the compass rose.

As soon as we walked in the door the lady behind the counter, an air force vet, recognized Edna’s costume as a genuine Vietnam era flight suit and my helmet as a Vietnam era helicopter helmet.

We spent a great afternoon welcomed like old friends in spite of making it clear that we were never in the service.

We met Tailwind, the hanger kitty.

At 3:00 the wind started to shift around and it was time to head for home. As I listened to my flight briefer I watched Marion’s drift string drift around favoring different runways at around 12kts.

As we taxied toward runway 1 the wind shifted and was favoring 13 so we continued our taxi to 13. There was evidence of strange wind shifts everywhere.

More to come! Vance

Attachments

• 11 16 08 591.JPG
    11 16 08 591.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 595.JPG
    11 16 08 595.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 598.JPG
    11 16 08 598.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 610.JPG
    11 16 08 610.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 810.JPG
    11 16 08 810.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 858.JPG
    11 16 08 858.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 855.JPG
    11 16 08 855.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 853.JPG
    11 16 08 853.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
As we began our takeoff roll the blades came up to speed quickly and we lifted off a little prematurely. Suddenly the wind sock shifted straight out in a direct tail wind and my speed dropped below 40 miles per hour indicated air speed and she began to sink. I started to abort and then decided to keep going. The ground dropped off and there were open fields beyond the end of the runway. We cleared the end of the runway at 100 feet AGL and 50 miles per hour indicated air speed, 66 miles per hour ground speed.

There were the usual hazards but I caught some ridge lift and was at 2,400 feet when I called San Luis Obispo Tower. ATC said my transmission was garbled and asked me to call in at 7 miles. When we were about half way down the Questa Grade I called in and ATC thought I said Grumman rather than “experimental gyroplane.” They were very busy and after warning three different aircraft of the Grumman and telling me to remain at or above 2,500 feet he inquired how I was going so slowly. I corrected his misunderstanding and it clearly amused him. He said “I will try to get you down from there as soon as you cross the centerline.”

Once he gave me permission to descend I showed off a little by running her up to 95 miles per hour ground speed as we descended toward Dinosaur Caves Park.

Ocean was even busier than on the way up and there was a lot of talking on the radio to do. Because I was descending I reported my altitude and position with landmarks every half mile. I was able to find most of the traffic and was relieved to pass by the centerline. We continued down the beach at 75 miles per hour ground speed.

I called in over Guadalupe with Romeo and was to report left downwind for 30. The landing felt great after my troubled takeoff. It felt good to back in familiar territory.

As Edna filled her up some life time residents of the Santa Maria Valley stopped by and spoke of all the times they had seen me fly. They marveled at the ingenuity displayed by Mark Givans in the creation of the Predator. I explained the thoughts to the best of my ability. The sun had set and they hoped to see us fly and I felt that two and one half hours of flying was not enough so we taxied to 30 and requested a left closed traffic. After several very nice stop and goes I called “left downwind for 30 to land, simulated engine out.” We could hear the trepidation in ATC’s voice as he approved the request. I started from almost a half mile out at 800 feet and made very gentle turns, working to conserve energy. We touched down at the taxiway in front of the tower. He sounded relieved as he called “2 Mike Golf, taxi to parking, monitor ground point niner, have a great evening.”

It was just short of 3 hours of shirt sleeve flying with my sweetheart and some great in betweens.

Thank you, Vance

Attachments

• 11 16 08 864.JPG
    11 16 08 864.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 874.JPG
    11 16 08 874.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 887.JPG
    11 16 08 887.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 888.JPG
    11 16 08 888.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 889.JPG
    11 16 08 889.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 891.JPG
    11 16 08 891.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 892.JPG
    11 16 08 892.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 11 16 08 893.JPG
    11 16 08 893.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well…this is my second time writing this and I need to go to bed. Had wrote nearly a whole page when it was blown out of the water. Oh well, that’s the way the cookie crumbles I guess. It probably would have bored you all anyway. I guess I just like to complicate things…so here goes me just keeping it simple.

I had a wonderful time on Sunday after a very stressful Saturday.The flight was incredible a lifted some of the pain I was feeling in my heart.

This is the engagement Party Picture taken out at the Porter Ranch in Huasna California.
Good night all...
Ed

Ryan & Katie are just behind me (I'm in the pink shirt kneeling on the ground with my Grand Niece Shawna) Aren't they a fabulous couple. Their engagement picture is just spectacular. When I get it I will share it with everyone I'm a very Proud Momma!

3040638942_952f176323.jpg

QUOTED By:Vance

We are a little late with the rest of the story because we went flying tonight.

Sgurl~This is our Airport Lounge
3039802283_0aa389801f.jpg

It is still 59 degrees at 8:00 pm and the lights of the airport and the City were stunning.
3040641670_bd3bc9d5c6.jpg

Sgurl~Down the runway we go!!
3040642824_5588e3ca91.jpg

Sgurl~The Lights were like Dancing Jewels on the ground below us...
3039805679_62ddf20603.jpg

I found it a challenge to manage distance and I tended to flair a little too high.
I got better with more practice.
3039806679_611f725332.jpg

All the ways I use to manage depth perception with one eye are very different at night.

Sgurl~But Folks...believe me when I tell you everyone of his landing were perfect!!
3039807579_74c44245c5.jpg

The warm clear night made up for my lack of skill.
Sgurl~Ok...lack of skill huh! He has incredible skill... };->
3040646628_d47230f5b1.jpg

I actually found the blackness of the fields more intimidating than the city lights.
Sgurl~He never showed that he was intimated...at all. I was very confidant in his ability to navigate!
Although how he did it amazes me because the lights of the town can be confusing when they
run in different lines like in this picture
3040647620_00d0cd80f3.jpg

I now have 20 more night landings in my log book. When I was up solo I practiced lots of
different engine outs. The tower was very helpful. They wouldn’t let me land on the
unlighted crosswind runway. I thought it would be good practice.
Sgurl~ >>>----->> Great Job Sweetheart! <<------<<<

Sgurl~I just thought I'd share the night flying pictures...they're not great night flying pictures,
but taking them at night is a new challenge for me that I do hope to get better at because
I certainly enjoyed the night flying and want to share with everyone what we see!
Cheers All! Sgurl*Ed

Last edited:
Ed is amazing with her lack of fear.

I practiced eight landings before I took her up but the extra weight made it a different challenge. It was very dark and sometimes ATC would extend our upwind for clearance out over the fields and there was no apparent horizon and no way to see the wires. I found I could cut the power and drop the nose and the landing lights would illuminate the ground about 15 feet below us with limited clarity but the wires just didn’t show unless you caught them just right. They are typically about 25 feet above the ground but knowing that would not help in an engine out. There are also a lot of five foot fences and irrigation ditches that could be problematic in a forced landing.

There are trees off to the right on my left crosswind and no lights to let us know if I had made my crosswind accurately. We would have cleared them by about 20 feet if I had missed. We could see the lights of the cars on the road when they would send us on a right pattern.

Sometimes ATC would extend our downwind out over Foxenwood and as we turned base to final the lights of the airport blended in with the lights of the city and only the airport beacon made the airport location apparent.

I could not see the centerline and early on I would find myself touching down five feet left or right of centerline. Later I would make adjustments about fifteen feet up so I would touch down on the centerline.

I found it intimidating with the nose pointed down at the darkness between the lights and tended to flare early. The ground speed appeared to me much higher. I was more aggressive at the end to smooth out the landing.

We had variable 8kt gusting winds and I could not see the wind socks so I had to be more sensitive to our alignment to know which way the wind blew. I found near zero roll landings the best way to do this. The Predator would become more sensitive to the relative wind as we slowed and I could make corrections.

On the last landing I nearly blew right past the taxiway and had to flare aggressively to hit my spot.

Ed was flashing away in all directions the entire time and took well to filling up the Predator by flashlight.

I feel fortunate.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:
Wow,
It sounds like a very challenging trip and well planned and executed on your part.

I enjoy your writing and Ed's photos very much. I've always thought of flying as an "experience", if not an adventure, so I love sharing in others like yours.
As for the night flight(s), I love seeing what I'm flying over so I don't think I would enjoy the night flying as much.
Keep posting---we're touring California vicariously thru you two!
Laura

Thank you Laura, we are glad to have you along.

This flight was a repeat of my first cross solo country that I made 3/17/2008.

That thread was called “my first solo cross country!”

I was still a student pilot and required a lot of supervision.

It seemed as though the world was conspiring to prevent my success.

Just getting signed off by a CFI for the morning of the adventure was an ordeal.

This recent flight was much less problematic and more enjoyable, but less memorable.

It does take some planning and preparation and this is well outside my personality.

I work all the time at having the information, tools and skill set at the ready so when the weather window and work window align we can seize the day.

I am working toward flying to and flying in the air show at Vertical Challenge at the Hiller Air Museum in San Carlos, Ca in June. This will be a 400 mile adventure. This 130 mile trip is about 1/3 the way.

There is an antique fly in at Watsonville in May that is two thirds of the way. We hope to fly to that.

San Carlos is under class B airspace and I have not personally managed that yet. It should be part of the adventure.

I hope you will join us.

Thank you, Vance

Laura,
Vance & I are an “Odd Couple” I think that’s why we go together so well, like all great couples! ;-)
I can only imagine how much you must enjoy the type of flying that you do. There is something about the air up there...I guess we are all just addicted to pure oxygen...well a pure as it can.

I'm sure your pictures you take are quite beautiful. Do you have any you can put in Flying Photos? I’m sure everyone here on the forum would truly love to see what you see. Does your husband take pictures as well?
Thanks so much for the encouragement to continue. I do worry about boring everyone…but so far everyone has been helpful and makes wonderful suggestions. Inspirations are everywhere on this forum in the form of incredible people doing extraordinary things!
I have two Links I'll put in this thread it's through Flickr. These are the Links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94595406@N00/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28612127@N03/

I said I'd share so here it is...
My Son and soon to be Daughter-In-Law~ Ryan & Katie
Have a lovely evening I know I will... Cheers! Sgurl*Ed

3045212022_8ec3712cdd.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!!
How the Heck are Ya?
Well...I'm still here trying to figure out how to get the most out of my night shots.
I little flying elf whispered in my ear and said..."Ed use your edit button to bring out the best in your pictures...OK little Elf I'll do that! Low and behold the Little Elf was right!! I hate when he's right!! Anyway I discovered things in the picture that were actually hidden. Once I edited them you could really see so much more in the Night Pictures so I thought I'd share them...
Let me know what you all think of these..Happy times! Sgurl*Ed

3047390864_7de67ca711.jpg

3047392316_941984bc22.jpg

3046553955_98ed4d3200.jpg

3046552407_3603352bd8.jpg

3046551135_18edab6789.jpg

3047384454_24b319c435.jpg

3047381826_43ebded8b7.jpg

3046544777_586acaf906.jpg

3047377652_a3f843d93c.jpg

3047118480_05335c2f9d_b.jpg