12,500 feet MSL over Oceano

For both of us...

For both of us...

Paul, the 914 has a mongo turbocharger, electronic ignition, fuel injection, a large intercooler, fuel-air ratio controller and an in-flight adjustable prop.

Me? Just some oxygen under some pressure.

Chris is right. The FAA is usually quite cooperative as long as you call them ahead of time and get permission to go into Class A, even without an IFR rating or aircraft instruments. They will likely insist on a transponder and you must have radio communication with them.

PS: check your finger nails for color change from white to blue.
John
Isn't this for Carbon monoxide poisoning which can lead to hypoxia?

John
Isn't this for Carbon monoxide poisoning which can lead to hypoxia?

Hi Roger!

I was taught that any change in oxygen level will be seen in the fingernails. Blood will change from red oxygenated to blue no matter what gas you have inhaled or while inhaling low oxygenated air at high altitudes.

I was taught to test by pressing on the fingernail and look at them at a low altitude just prior to ascending above 12,500 so you know what the normal color should be for comparison.

Paul, the 914 has a mongo turbocharger, electronic ignition, fuel injection, a large intercooler, fuel-air ratio controller and an in-flight adjustable prop.

Bill, this is all correct except the 914 doesn't have fuel injection and also no intercooler.

-- Chris.

I tried that last time...

I tried that last time...

the battery froze at 22,000 ft. Next time I'll have heaters.

.... By the way, the FBO gives you an actual certificate to frame for posterity. ...

I have 2 of them on the wall in my office. One for my first mountian check out flight in 1976, and one in my Wren Bush plane in 1981.

Next summer, my goal is to add a third for the Xenon.

Mark

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John,

I think you might be confusing two different methods into one to observe one of the classic signs of hypoxia

The pressing the fingernail test also known as Capillary Refill Test is to be used for a quick assessment for shock, dehydration, peripheral vascular disease, or hypothermia. This test is not really for hypoxia. Normally our fingernail beds have a red or blush color. Pressing down on the fingernails push the blood out of the capillary bed underneath, making it look whitish or blanched. This is done to measure how fast the blood returns to the capillary bed. With normal circulation the change from blanch to blush should be less than 2 seconds. Shock, dehydration, peripheral vascular disease, or hypothermia will cause a greater than 2 second return of blood into the capillary bed.

The bluing of the fingernail bed and lips is one of the early signs of hypoxia. This is called cyanosis. Generally, this means that the brain is becoming deficient of oxygen and blood is being removed from the extremities to help increase the supply to the brain to maintain an optimum level of oxygenation.

Want to know the difference between signs and symptoms? Signs are visual indicators or the physical manifestation of injury, illness or disease, symptoms can be described as what a patient experiences about the injury, illness or disease.

So the common signs for altitude induced Hypoxia are:

Poor coordination
Rapid breathing
Cyanosis
Lassitude/ Lethargy

Symptoms of Hypoxia

mental fatigue
Headache
Air Hunger - deeper breathing or gasping for breath
Nausea
Dizziness
Euphoria - drunk feeling
Tingling of the extremities
Visual Impairment - tunnel vision, loss of color vision

My previous military Physiological Training cycles were two day affairs that covered all the aerospace medical issues, and several "chamber rides" under daylight conditions to learn your specific signs and symptoms, and to high altitude to learn pressure demand breathing ,under night conditions (to experience visual color changes), and rapid decompression training.

Like I said perviously, the best way to know your own specific individual signs and symptoms of hypoxia, sign up for Physiological Training through the FAA. It's great training to have and experience.

Wayne

The answer man!

The answer man!

Thank you Wayne,

That is very useful information.

It may save a life.

It expands my knowledge base.

Thank you, Vance

@Wayne
Thank you so much for the detailed information!!! I love to learn and this is very helpful!

Also I am signed up with the FAA and their wings program taken just about everything and haven't seen the Physiological Training offered.
I'll do some research I would like to take the course, thank you Buddy!!!

Thank you Wayne!
You Rock, I love this site!!!