Sending off the tank for treatment

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
Off goes the fuel tank for fluoro-seal treatment!

Tank $875
UPS Shipping from Canada $160
UPS Shipping to Atlanta for Treatment $140
Walking out with my finger in the air...priceless...

but wait!

USPS Priority Shipping to Atlanta for Treatment including $1000 insurance: $23.00!

I don't know what's gotten into UPS but my God...how is it only 20 dollars less from an international shipment to just send it up the road six hours?! Won't be stepping foot in UPS again.

So here is the tank, saran wrapped in about half a roll of free priority mail tape. And who would have guessed...USPS is going to get it there faster. Yay.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
...what's gotten into UPS but my God...how is it only 20 dollars less from an international shipment to just send it up the road six hours?! Won't be stepping foot in UPS again...

UPS is not government owned and makes a profit.

USPS is government owned and operates at a lost.

The tank got back to me damaged from shipping. One of the bottom fuel ports was pushed in causing it to crack around the sides of the port. I'm so mad I could spit nails. Luckily the shipment was fully insured. Now to file a claim and pray I don't get screwed. It was packaged well. The thing that bugs me the most is now I have to go through the entire process over again by ordering a tank from RAFSA and having another one made by their manufacturer. What a patience tester! I'll post a pic later. Wish they would find a way to allow pic uploads to forums from an iPad.

I hope they agree it was packaged well. I still think it would be worth it to have one made out of aluminum. No more worries.

I hope they agree it was packaged well. I still think it would be worth it to have one made out of aluminum. No more worries.

There is a guy that will make one from aluminum for less than a new one from RAF. Something to think about. Probably quicker.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_1.JPG
    photo_1.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_3.JPG
    photo_3.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
There is a guy that will make one from aluminum for less than a new one from RAF. Something to think about. Probably quicker.

Please PM me with any information. My patience is wearing and I would like something more durable/repairable anyways. Adjustable bucket seats. Mmm.

Brian,

That sucks.

If you need a fix, come over to Crustal Village!

Tommy

I made a post elsewhere about the update but I'll paraphrase with some latest news. Basically, RAFSA worked with the manufacturer and they sent me a new one, shipping and retreatment covered. Somehow UPS picked up the tank from the supplier and it sat in a depot for over a week before it was even put in the system. Eventually, the tank started its journey to the USA. It's LONG GROUND JOURNEY. This was just before the new year. It made it to Fluoroseal last Friday. Getting treated this week. Neal from Fluoroseal said that the manufacturer wrapped this thing like it was ancient Chinese pottery. I'm half concerned about the shipping, more so concerned with the quality of the mold. I'm sure they got it right this time. I've spoken with them on the phone numerous times and they are real nice. So...soon I'll have my new tank. Which is good because I'm getting mighty tired flying around on a half tank of gas.

I just got the word that my tank is on the final leg! Just was shipped from Fluoroseal this afternoon! Just in time for project week. :)

Good news buddy, soon you will be increasing your range!!!
Post pictures please!

Finally! Now THIS is some beefy packaging. So far, everything looks good. I'll do a pressure and liquid test tomorrow. There's been a party in my mailbox this week. Tank, Genesis plans, jackshaft, W2s, Netflix (Dexter season 4!)...busy busy.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1972.jpg
    IMG_1972.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 0