Helicycle-- Hoverings & Happenings

Greg Gremminger took Roy Beisswinger up in his Magni, and then did a photo shoot of my Helicycle flying over some nice wooded terrain. Roy has a superb camera and they flew alond side me, and crossed over above me. Roy must have taken 100 shots. He said he is going to put one on the front cover of the Powered Sport magazine. I would like to blow up a few to about 20 X 40. Inches and hang them on my hanger walls.......I will post some pictures from today and a couple start up/take off videos tomorrow. Stan

Stan didn't I hear there was no film in the camera on that photo shoot!!

I heard there was film, but the processing facility he uses has about a two week back log!

Mike- I missed your earlier question aboiut adjusting my CG with Doug flying it. Doug had me hanging in the helicopter and checked hang angle. Then he climbed in and put some ballast on the floor of the cabin. He flew with that ballast then. Stan

I am feeling more and more in tune with this helicopter. I can really tell that my much more frequent flights are hard wiring the reflexes in me. It is very easy to fly and each flight I do quickstops and enter into autos with power recovery. Entering autos from various speeds is a must and I have a lot of "feel" yet to develop in my reflexes. Each flight finds me challenging my reflexes , analyzing what I did right, and most importantly what I did incorrectly. .......................................................Back to some high speed cruising comments. Slower flight around 70 or so , the pedals are basically neutral, the cyclic can be unattended for short periods of time like my video showed, and the collective can be frictioned slightly to allow the left hand to be free within reason. At high speed cruising 90 to 110. , the collective has to be frictioned up more, but my hand pretty well stays there just in case. At these high cruising speeds, lots of collective is being used, and that means quicker rotor rpm decay should the engine go silent. My feet are on the pedals but I just let the pedals float and just basically keep my yaw string straight and let it go from there. The cyclic needs a little constant forward pressure at these higher speeds. I could imagine rigging up a slight elastic device to allow less constant attention to the cyclic. In other words, if you are wanting to get there fast, more hands on attention is required than flying at lower speeds. Its very easy to fly at 100 mph, hands off control is just not done for very long. I friction up my collective at higher speeds, allowing it to hold the pressure, but still allowing me to drop collective should I have to. When I return to slower flight I just release friction so its smoother to operate. So far each flight is making me more and more appreciative to B.J. Schramms excellent design that was the culmination of his lifelong experiences with helicopters. I am totally convinced this is one of the simplest and easiest helicopters to fly, and will fall into a category I call a "tractor". The fleet of Helicycles are for the most part all behaving like tractors. They are readyy to go to the "field" and work for their owner. ......................................................................................I had a very interested Helicycle buyer drive 3 hours yesterday to come and see my Helicycle fly and have a personal pre-flight demonstration, and also to show him how simple this machine is to keep lubed and adjusted. He commented he had no idea how simple this machine actually is to operate mechanically. I believe he will be buying a kit very soon as he was told there are just 6 slots left in the next builders group. Just like gyros are the biggest kept secret in aviation, I believe the Helicycle is another kept secret. I hope to change that a little by just simply posting honestly what I experience. Stan

Last edited:
Great showing Stan!

Attachments

• IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
Stan,

You may look up Urs Medazzins post on the pilots web on filler cushions in the cabin( near your head on left and right side) which he claims significantly reduce cabin rumble.
avk

avk- Thanks...I will check into it. Its not that loud....and at 100...its the quietest. I am thinking that with my full doors on...it will go away....

Heres a short video I took yesteday of approaching my woods...and flying through the chopper channel and landing at my shop. I love the view...but my camera sitting out in the wind gets all buffeted. I will probably someday put a small bullet cam where it wont shake. That cabin is as smooth as glass and I almost hesitate posting videos like this...but it gives a good idea what its like to fly into my woods and land. The corn is picker around the perimeter of the woods now...and I no longer have to do a steep approach over the corn and into the channel.....which by the way was a blast to do.

You can make out my orange paint can lids I have buried marking the centerline of the chopper channel. Then when I appproach and set down...you can see my torched grass from my angled down too far exhaust pipe. My new chrome pipe is almost horizontal and doesnt scortch the grass anymore.

YouTube - MOV05751

Stan

Last edited:
Chopper departing out of the chopper channel

Chopper departing out of the chopper channel

Heres a video of startup and departing out my chopper channel. I depart aggressively and maintain 10 feet minimum skid height so I dont hook into a jumping deer!

YouTube - MOV05750

Stan

The only thing that could possibly make it better, Stan is if it were a 2 place. All those people around town you gave rides to in the Sparrowhawk are probably wondering when they'll be getting a ride in this one.

I never get tired of watching your videos. Gotta see each one at least twice.

You got that right. I was surprised at the amount of collective needed to first start off. Stan, your chopper channel looks very narrow to me.

Larry- The channel is 70 feet wide. I have buried orange 5 gallon bucket lids marking the centerline of the channel. It is very easy to fly within 2 feet of the centerline. I would have to be over 25 feet off centerline before my rotorblades start trimming! On windy days, its always calm in the channel and that 200 X 200 square hole by my shop. If it were very windy, I would approach the ooening of the channel slowly as I enter into its calmness. There is a lot of turbulence around the perimeter of my woods, and can be felt downwind easily 1/4 mile. Stan

Your having too much fun!:D 70 ft wide path, Good for a sikorsky or Huey!:eek: Looking good,reminds me of the mouse......:wacko:

Just a video turning back towards the chopper channel and landing. The collective lovers like to see some collective action. You can see as I roll out of the turn...the collective is dropped a tad. It had some extra collective holding altitude while doing the turn.

I just high speed hover taxi down through the channel with my skids above deer height.

YouTube - MOV05756

Stan

Really enjoying these Stan, just keep them coming.

Great seeing those lids flicking under you.