Welcome Mat

Hi,

My name is Joe Pires. I now fly a powered parachute and my home runway is Southerland Strip in Geneva Florida.

I am a wannabee gyroguy and a new member of PRA and Sunstate Rotor Club. I think I have settled on a single place 582 Dominator as the object of my lust. I am taking my first lesson with Dave Seace this weekend.

Joe

Howdy

Howdy

I started reading the forum about a year ago and just signed up . Ihave some strange Ideas that I've seen in general avaition but not on gyros.
Like round tubeing instead of square, it is stronger and lighter....?,and I wonder if you can weld instead of bolt the frames together ? and is there an advantage of haveing 6 blades instead of 2 or 3 or 4 for the prop. ?
Thank You

Darkwing

To some degree yes on the fan cooled two strokes, liquid is just more efficient at cooling an engine and it cools the engine more evenly this also applies to four stroke engines. Free air two strokes are the hardest to cool but not bad if they are two cylinder opposed where each cylinder is totally open and not in the way of another cylinder.

Tony

Hi Grasshopper

If you are talking about welding a frame up using 4130 in a triangulated structure like airdraft fuselages, sure , no problem but if you are talking about welding large round tubing together, then you are going to have trouble eventually cause the welds wont give and the large diameter welds are subject to harmonic vibrations and will develope cracks,not good.

As for the large number of blades , only when used in confined housings like turbines or ducted fans does this work well, when many blades are used ,the following blade is always working in the disturbed vortex and wake of the previous blade and efficiency goes down. They use more than two blades on larger engines because ther is usually a length problem envolved and with the installation and more blades is the only way to soak up or utilize the engine power.

Tony

Greetings

Greetings

Hi. My name is Jim Goldstein. I've just started taking gyro lessons from Chris Burgess (patient instructor and expert pilot) in Frederick, Maryland in his Snobird Adventurer and am excited by the prospect of flying a gyro of my own. I'm taking it slow and am slightly overwhelmed by how much there is to learn. I got interested after seeing an article about Larry Neal's Super Sky Cycle, a combination gyro and street legal trike. I'm going to his place in Texas next month to try flying a two place with him. I'd like to hear from someone who has flown a Butterfly Monarch, Sky Cycle or Golden Butterfly and also from anyone who has had any experience with the Shadow two-place gyro as sold by Vortech. I'd also like to know if anyone has found a simulator software that was helpful between lessons. Thanks for the welcome mat. I've learned a lot of do's and don'ts already from people sharing their gyro experiences on this forum. Glad to be aboard. -Jim

Jim

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot experienced pilot and educators on this forum. The experience runs the spectrum from zero to thousands of hours in a Gyro. If you have questions, as you seem to, feel free to ask. Then wait. Someone will give you the correct answer.

Thom

Jim, Welcome to the World of GyroNut's!

Yes Chris Is A Great CFI, a Wealth of Knowledge. Glad to Read that you are taking your time, that is not always the case with newbies.

Brad King could help you out with experience with the Butterfly. Maybe he will jump in here and read your post.

Hope to run into you and meet you at a Fly-In Soon. Best of Luck MJ :)

Hi, My name is jamie I am from ontario,canada.I own a small farm which I plan to build a runway on someday.My education tends toward civil engineering.I've been bumming rides on fw's for 17 years but am positively obsessed with gyros
My tendency to overthink everything is making it hard to decide which one,fast and light,or two seater etc etc .many thanks to the senior guys for teaching the same basics again and again when a new guy shows up.

Yes welcome Jamie.

Some of us old codjers have short manners. But for the most part they are long suffering even tho they have to repeat themselves. It is the renewal everyfew months keeps it new for the old timers. There are some that don't fly anymore but they have a wealth of knowledge to pass on.

Once again welcome

Thom

[SI:wave:

Hello All:wave: :wave: :wave:

RAF2000 N538GW. Where do I start? I have 26 hours dfi total. It's been 2 1/2 years since I've flown. Almost that long since studying. Was traveling 500 miles one-way for instruction. Was told by CFI to pick up aircraft because he lost where to store it. Now stored 60 miles from my residence for 1 year. When storing with this "friend" (a fixed wing, heli & gyro flyer), I learned of the sparrowhawk, and have been very concerned about h-stab controversy.

In short, I think I got "skeered" about the instability of the raf. :painkiller:

I also realized I had no "prerotator cable" that had been promised, nor a few other essential items that were to be mailed.

I can get more flying time off the books with this friend where stored, but am unsure of how to get my aircraft an airworthiness certificate (former CFI occilated whether or how to test fly the aircraft, get inspected, etc, etc, etc.)

I haven't even broken in the engine yet (1/2 hour run found manifold leak, & we fixed it...runs well).

And then I found this forum. I read for hours yesterday...learned a lot. My (grown) kids want me to sell the raf. I don't want to. Wife was very supportive (especially after her demo ride), but "common sense" and my lack of dedication have discouraged her.

I dream (almost?) nightly of flying. There is no flight like gyro flight.

Any great advice from my new friends out there?

G Williams

You may be close to Steve Osborne a member of this form. He is in Maryland. Look him up in the members list and PM him. He can help you more since he is a CFI and probably closest to you. Welcome.

Thom, Thom. I am not a CFI. where did you here that? Wow I wish I had that Rating. Did you mean Chris Burgess he is in Maryland also. I can offer tech info if needed.

Sorry Steve. I know you know RAFs. I guess I did mix you and Chris up. You are the man tho for RAFs.

Sorry G Williams
I guess I ment Chris Burgess. He also is a member. Steve knows RAFs and might even help you straighten out your prerotator problem. Call RAF and ask for Julie or Mariann The RAF phone number is 306-463-6030. If they owe you a prerotator they will make it right. I have had nothing but good support with them. If you need to know how to stabilize you RAF talk to Paul B(Aussie Paul) or LarryeBoyer. Both of these guys can help you with the peace of mind you need. Steve can also.

Hello Gaylan;

I think you tried to get too much info about yourself, into a small post.

We need to know more detail as to...yourself eg. total flight time, last time you flew, last time you had instruction, etc. Who was your instuctor?

Your RAF...when did you buy, the complete kit or partials, did you keep a build record, etc.

How long has your machine been stored, was it protected, any visible corrosion, were parts anodized, etc.

Don't try to answer all this in one post, take your time. We will try to help you.

How far are you from Maryland?

Cheers :)

Unfamiliar With this Kind of Media (Too)

Unfamiliar With this Kind of Media (Too)

Hello Again:

Thanks for your many responses. One suggestion was succinctness, yet detail. I'll try to comply.:sorry: :sorry:

From Maryland, I'm @ least 6 hours. Regarding the sparrowhawk site, I've studied the RAF2000 conversion kit ($6000+).

Aircraft always "sheltered", but not climatically controlled. Anodized, yes. Excellent condition, considering, e.g., like new.

I'd rather not (now) reveal my CFI's name or location. I have mixed feelings about his ethics (not his abilities-excellent instructor). I guess my major concerns are: Can I get my aircraft certificated and can I get my Private Pilot's License. I know I MAY, but at what cost, both pecunilarily and time investment?

Someone querried about my training...that was addressed in my 1st posting, I thought. 26 hours DFI and 2 1/2 years since last lesson. The last 16 hours (approximately) were touch & go only.

Thanks for the phone # for parts @ RAF in Canada. Very helpful. Need to measure (accurately) the housing for the prerotator to determine the length needed for the internal cable. Isn't the internal cable roughly around $100? I saw a post about a place in Illinois that charged $322????? Or, was that for the entire setup? He was addressing a shorter prerotator cable and was getting faster spin-up...mine is shorter than any other setups I've seen (no comments from the peanut gallery, please). :whip: :whip: :whip:

Gotta' have some fun, don't we?

Instead of the "Panic" button, I'm pushing the :help: :help: :help: :help: button.

See Ya'.

gww

Gaylan

The post you were looking at was from Harry S. That I believe is the entire setup cost. Harry will know more about that. Please call RAF. If they owe you a prerotator cable they will have a record of it. Don't panic for sure. You are more than 90% there. Just a little brush up and the mods and you will be there.