EA-81 Engine Performance Figures

Re:EA-81 Engine Performance Figures

I have set up quite a few multipoint EFI EA81's but I have never seen a single point EFI system on an EA81. I would be curious to know more about it if anyone has any info. It should be a lot easier to set up than a multipoint.
We have not yet recorded any iceing problems with fuel injection.

Re:EA-81 Engine Performance Figures

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, I will see what I do when I get that far...

Agree, Bangkok is one hot, humid, shitty place, outside Bangkok it doesn't get that humid though, you'd be surprised what a difference it is.

All the best,

Hasse

EA-81 Size and Weight

EA-81 Size and Weight

Hello Folks,

I'm new to gyros and the site. So please be gentle with my lack of knowledge.

I would like to build a Little Wing Autogyro. I'd also like to use an EA-81 or comparable engine equiped with an electric 5psi boost supercharger. I live in the California High Desert and the summer DA can easily approach 10,000' in the winter we see temps in the teens and a bit of snow. I would not need a turbo charger running all of the time but could see a valid use for a supercharger when the DA required it.

Right now I'd really like to get a line drawing of the EA-81 or equivalent so that I can see whether it will fit or not. Weight of the engine would also be much appreciated.

Regards,

Glen

Hi Glen

I am a real Subaru fan, BUT!, at those altitudes you really need about 25% more power that the guys down at SL. To get a EA-81 to do what you need can, and will, cost more that a used 0-200 Continental. Think about a 0-200 !

Tony

...I would like to build a Little Wing Autogyro. I'd also like to use an EA-81 or comparable engine equiped with an electric 5psi boost supercharger...

Glen, welcome to the forum!

Be wary of the electric superchargers. They often advertise a PSI rating which can only be maintained at low airflow rates. A dead giveaway that you're reading a scam is if they claim to improve miles per gallon.

If you do find one that will make 5 PSI at 300 CFM, make sure you know the current required. It's likely to exceed the capability of a light aircraft electrical system.

The concept of a supercharger driven by an electric motor is appealing, in part because it would lend itself to experiments with electronic regulation. But it's not efficient. By the time you generate the required power with a belt-driven alternator and incur two sets of loss in the alternator and motor, you might as well just drive the supercharger with the belt in the first place, and save the added weight.

A properly sized and gated turbocharger will be more efficient, since much of the force to turn the turbine comes from expansion of hot exhaust gas, which is normally wasted. It also makes a great muffler!

The best strategy for dealing with a DA of 10K' might be to just choose an engine with 30% more displacement than what you'd need at sea level, and keep the external systems more simple and reliable.

Last edited:
Go to www.autoflight.co.nz, contact Neil Hintz. This is one of their specialties.
They have a long term running example, I think Neil said it has crossed 500 hours of a boosted 2 place Dominator run by his mate Grant.

Paul,

Thanks for the information. I'm building the Little Wing Autogyro, and it would seem that too much wieght up front will change the nature of the beast. The Turbocharger is a posibility. I'll find the electric supercharger information that I found and post it for review.

We are 15 miles north of Palm Springs, California and the summer temperatures even at 3,800 MSL can get to 100+ in the late summer. On the other side of things we had snow on April 9th.

Glen

Glen,

I too am building a little wing, LW5 single place to be exact. I started about 2 1/2 years ago and started down the Subaru path but when i learned about Todd Reick and his Yamaha conversion i took note and followed his path. I now am 90% complete with my build and have a Yamaha Genesis 120hp up front for power. Here in the Denver area we routinely get DA days at above 9,000' so extra HP and long rotorblades are the rule here.

I purchased Todd's Rotax gearbox adapter kit to mount a "c" box and will use a clutch to dispell blade shake at idle and low RPM. The only down side i have encountered using this engine is to keep the thrust line were Ron Herron designed it (on Datum "A") the engine sticks up over the top of my 26" tall firewall and boot cowl by 2.5 more inches so i have this pregnant looking nose but that is that big of a problem. I just built a scoop facing backwards to accommodate the engine height.

All up my firewall forward package will weigh in at about 150LBS which is fantastic for 120HP! and a very realistic flying weight will be 780 to 800 so that is about 6.66LBS per HP at full throttle and at 75% power the Yamaha dyno's at 100hp so even at 8lbs per HP that is very very good! You wont get that out of a Subaru! I cannot post pictures here as i used "reply" so here is my email if you would like to see any pics just send me a message and i will send pics of my build.

[email protected]

You may want to look into using a Yamaha!
Just my 2 cents!

Tim Mercer
Westminster, CO

...We are 15 miles north of Palm Springs, California and the summer temperatures even at 3,800 MSL can get to 100+ in the late summer. On the other side of things we had snow on April 9th...

Glen, not so different here. We don't often hit 100ºF, but we get close, and our airports in the greater SLC area are between 4,200 and 4,900 MSL. Density Altitudes of 7-8,000' are common in summer.

A Rotax 503 on even a light single-place wouldn't get most guys off the ground in the middle of a hot summer day in Utah.

i have got EA81 subaru engine with me , that needs rebuilding ,meaning rebuilding it need money , the appearance is very appealing compared to Ej 20 ,which is currently installed in my single sit gyro , EA81 engine weighs less compared to ej 20, i think this will cut my gyro weight , isn't it ?

ALL ADVICE IS WELCOME ... THANKS IN ADVANCE

Samuel

Uganda