Bill Piper's built-up gyro structure

Two books you may want to consider:

Practical Stress Analysis for Design Engineers by Jean-Claude Flabel

Flying On Your Own Wings by Chris Heintz

Flabel deals a lot with the analysis of fittings that tie sheet metal aircraft structures together.

Heintz is a book on light sheet metal aircraft design, much of which is technical structural information.

Both books are well illustrated.

Super! This is exactly the kind of lead I was hoping for. Thank you very much.
<later> Flabel is too much for my purse right now, but there's a cheap Kindle edition of Heintz available on Amazon...or rather, NOT available on Amazon. This item is not currently for sale (in any form) because of unspecified "issues."

Last edited:
Super! This is exactly the kind of lead I was hoping for. Thank you very much.
<later> Flabel is too much for my purse right now, but there's a cheap Kindle edition of Heintz available on Amazon...or rather, NOT available on Amazon. This item is not currently for sale (in any form) because of unspecified "issues."

Interesting. The Heintz book is in it's third edition now and errors in the first two have been corrected. The blue covered one on Amazon is the third edition, that is were I ordered mine from.

The Kindle Edition is the one that shows not available:
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Your-Own-Wings-Understanding-ebook/dp/B00EB210XY

but the printed edition looks to be available:
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Your-O...sr=8-1&keywords=flying+on+your+own+wings+book

The Heintz book has many, many illustrations, I HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra money and get the printed version as the Kindle version will suffer much loss and likely why it's not available. Here is one review of the Kindle version from Amazon:

"I'm sure this would be a great book if you could actually read it! The Kindle format is awful! No way to change font and blurry when you pinch zoom. All pages appear to be badly scanned in images, so many of the features you normally expect in a Kindle version are unavailable. I wish I could get my money back."

How about just replace bolts for Rivets on a KB 2 frame? save some weight? I guess were going for a real Ultralight gyro.