United Boeing 737-800 with the new Spli

scandtours

scandtours
Aircraft
Bensen,Brock, Parsons Tandem
A United Boeing 737-800 was the first commercial aircraft with the new Split Scimitar Winglets reducing drag, fuel consumption and lower carbon emissions.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
Wow!

Wow!

That looks so amazing! ..... i'd like to see the pattern of air currents in a windtunnel ... (coloured air?) depiction of how they work!!!

Yep, instead of buying a refinery we instead decided to concentrate on airplanes that save gas.

I am not an engineer, just thinking out loud here.

Does the addition of winglets delay the formation of wingtip vortices; thus decreasing the induced drag signature?
Any reduction in drag will increase performance and reduce power (fuel burn) for a given "V".

In the early 1990's, I owned a Cessna 150-J; there was a set of droop tips (elephant ears) on the aircraft. The stall characteristics were changed by this addition. These tips created an air dam stopping the higher pressure air under the outboard area of the wing from spilling over the tip to the lesser pressure top side. The wing become more efficient, because you had the use of all the wing area for lift. As a result the ailerons become more efficient also.

Nothing wrong with saving gas....we just decided to brew it and save even more $$$$

I am not an engineer, just thinking out loud here.

Does the addition of winglets delay the formation of wingtip vortices; thus decreasing the induced drag signature?
Any reduction in drag will increase performance and reduce power (fuel burn) for a given "V".

In the early 1990's, I owned a Cessna 150-J; there was a set of droop tips (elephant ears) on the aircraft. The stall characteristics were changed by this addition. These tips created an air dam stopping the higher pressure air under the outboard area of the wing from spilling over the tip to the lesser pressure top side. The wing become more efficient, because you had the use of all the wing area for lift. As a result the ailerons become more efficient also.

More or less.

In a normal wing air escapes around the tip, that is air moves from the bottom of the wing to the top which is a circular motion at the wing tip which creates the vortices.

The winglets controls this air movement reducing the amount of air spilling around the tips in a circular motion and therefore reducing the strength of the vortices. Not sure what the twin winglet does, maybe the second winglet disrupts the remaining air that is circulating further reducing the strength of the subsequent vortice.

Last edited: