Utah Gyroplaners....

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
I have flown my gyro upto 5200 ft before, and didn't notice any engine problems,but it was suggested that if I want to fly at the ROTR that I get some new jets.
Can anyone save me the trouble of looking up the jets you guys are using up there?
I'm flying a Rotax 503 DCDI and I'm running short of time to order them.
Thanks
Ben S

Ben, Brigham City is 4,229 MSL, and a typical daytime high for June is low 80s.

Try the chart here, shows how to use a correction factor for altitude on all the Rotax two-strokes. (Scroll down a little.)

Dave Bacon flew a Sport Copter with a 582 here two years ago, although 700' higher and hotter at our old location. He might also be a good source of ways to estimate.

Paul...

Paul...

I am coming up with Dave. We have talked about it already, But I figured someone might already know what works best.
To be honest your altitude is something I already fly at just for kicks. I never noticed a rough running engine at alttitude.
Ben

Sorry we can't be of more help.

Sorry we can't be of more help.

Ben,

Sorry we're not able to give you more advise on this subject but you have to remember we are a pretty new group and don't have that many Gyros flying here yet. We have several flying Subarus and Macs and a Rotax 912 but none that I am aware of flying 503's yet. We have several being worked on that will use that engine but no one with any experience that will help you. You may have to be the guy letting us know the best way to set up a 503 for our altitude.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you and watching you show us how it's done. See you soon.

Hi Ben see you there!!!

Thanks Paul, I realized looking at the chart that I had almost ordered new jets for the SC model. I have the 503 DC engine as well. I would need a 148 main jet to fly in your neck of the woods according to the chart, as I'm currently at sea level.
Russ

Thanks guys...

Thanks guys...

I count the crew at Sportcopter as my friends and will call Evan tomorrow.
Russ I come up with the same number so that should be it. I just can't say at this point that I really need these, I know it s cheap insurance but I fly my machine at altitudes up to and including 5000 ft regularly and have not noticed a problem yet. I just hate the idea of messing with an engine that is running perfectly fine.
Can't wait to see you Jon, I have much to talk with you about your new business venture!
Ben S

Ben, the Bing carbs do a partial compensation for changes in altitude, so you may be OK. If it gets unusually hot, you might want another set of jets. If it gets to 90ºF, the density altitude at Brigham City will top 7,000'. If you've flown at 5,000' when it's hot, you're probably fine.

Paul...

Paul...

I fly at those altitudes BECAUSE it is cool up there! It's so friggin hot on the deck when I come down from even 2000 feet, I have to psych myself up for the last few hundred to the ground!
It can be kinda like flying right into a hair dryer!
I think I will be OK also.
Ben S

Chuck...

Chuck...

That is neat, but the chances of me using these jets after the fly-in are pretty slim. The Jets are like 3 bucks each so it seems in this case that it is cheaper and easier to buy the jets.
If I was traveling man I might look at the hac harder.
Thanks
Ben S

@See ya soon at the party!

@Chuck
I'm bookmarking this one, I did not know about these.
Thank you for posting that,
John