What type of Camera

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
Anyone :
What type of camera do you use to make your videos with?

I like the way Gyroron's looks when you hit the sun. It doesn't glare out so to speak. But in the same words I dislike the way it has the wide angle and make everything round looking......
But I wanted on small enough I could mount it anywhere.

Got any pictures and model # to go by?

Chris I use a Canon FS 100 with 2000x zoom and records to an SD card. I use Kingston 16 GB class 4 in it. On the highest quality setting it gives you 4 hours. I used it inside the cockpit of the 269 clamped to the back frame by a simple spring clamp. The shake is reduced and the wide angle doesn't distort the horizon. This is what it looks like (note the heli is a shaker much more so than a Gyro) https://www.vimeo.com/7686649
Or this is from the outside without wide angle lens https://www.vimeo.com/8547854
I have tried several panasonics with not much luck. I prefer the Canon over those. Just my .02 penny.

You can use a decent point and shoot camera and record the video onto the sd card.
I have a small canon A570 and it does 640x480 video at 30fps, will record until the card fills up. (4gb SDhd) some cameras do not like vibration.
I did most of my flying vids on youtube with a cheapo HP 3megapixel camera.
the video was 320x240 OK quality for youtube, but I never had any vibration issues with it.

Forget about a video camera with a CD, or hard drive, it will shut itself off from the vibration.

I have a sony Handycam hybrid. I dont know the model off the top of my head but the hard drive will not work in my airplane. The engine/ prop noise is loud enough to shut down the hardrive. I have no idea why it does that. I have to record to a SD card for it to work in the plane.

I use a sony dcw-55 camera with a sd card and a ram mount. I tried my camcorder but the hard disk didnt like the vibes and shut it down

I use my Kodak 10MP digital camera. Its main use would be taking pictures, but It also takes 1080P video. It will store 2 hours on my 8gb sd card. It has stabilization built in for taking video. While this works good for shooting on the ground, it needs some more help in the air. I an thinking about building a mount for it, that may dampen it for better video. Any ideas guys?
Brad

I have a sony Handycam hybrid. I dont know the model off the top of my head but the hard drive will not work in my airplane. The engine/ prop noise is loud enough to shut down the hardrive. I have no idea why it does that. I have to record to a SD card for it to work in the plane.

Grant, it's not the noise it's the vibrations.

I hear these are nice.
They are a bit pricey
cost $200.00 plus shipping

Attachments

• What type of Camera
    CAM1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
I have the contour HD and it is a nice one. I got nime for 170 but it is not 1080dp it is 720 still more than I need.

I tried my camcorder but the hard disk didnt like the vibes and shut it down

Does the camcorder have a memory stick option? My Sony's do. That way the HD shutting down wont have any affect on your vid.

Everyone :
Went looking around at this contour HD price just at a few places $249.00 :flame:
I like the looks of it mounting on the helmet with all the brackets too!

Dog
Like I said $200.0 plus shipping from CA to SC maybe $10.00 shipping
If you are interested in the Contour HD ( PM me )

The only thing I don't like about some of those cameras like the contour is the wide angle lenses. I don't like it when they give you the fish bowl effect watching the videos. The wide angle lens may work out OK riding a motorcycle through the woods but when you're flying it makes the Earth look pretty small and far away. They look like they do an excellent job though and the price is decent.

HBlearn2fly :
I still shoppin

I have not made my mind up yet.

Dennis D :
OUCH ! that is a lot to lug around and might drop it......OUCH

Dennis D.

Nice flick....I enjoyed the sunsets. Onboard stuff was good quality.

G'Day Dog,

I'm using a $240 AUD Aiptek Z 600 1080 HD with a card.

Here is a link to the latest and most stable video shot with it yet.

I duct tape it to my right outer knee/leg area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Fap4BYTfw

Mitch.

Greg Mitchell :
Great duct tape job. I think it did a great job!

Chris, mine is a " Go Pro Hero WIDE " if you like it, but don't like the fisheye effect, get the regular " Go Pro Hero " it is the same camera without the wide angle lens. Most of all the other reccomendations here are for cameras not meant for this kind of application, where the Go Pro and Contour are.... The Go pro is also much easier to mount and is smaller as well. not to mention cheaper by half

GyroRon :
What company carries them to where I could go by and look at them. Some of the other ones I have seen at major store chains. I would like to see both kinds of lens " Go Pro Hero " and the wide you had.