Interestiing New Energy Source - Bloom Box

Thank you Heather! Very, very interesting…..
Gee….I could see how a Bloom Box and a small tank of propane could easily power an electric powered two place gyro....even an UL!

The value in spin-offs in the reach for the stars is sometimes greatly underestimated. This certainly sounds a very exciting one.

Thanks for posting Heather. How is your gyro doing? Is it flying now? Sorry if I missed it getting airborne.

Interesting. Can someone calculate the cost of natural gas for 100 kw of electricity? Energy cost 2007

Built with our patented solid oxide fuel cell technology, Bloom's Energy Server™ is a new class of distributed power generator, producing clean, reliable, affordable electricity at the customer site.

Fuel cells are devices that convert fuel into electricity through a clean electro-chemical process rather than dirty combustion. They are like batteries except that they always run. Our particular type of fuel cell technology is different than legacy "hydrogen" fuel cells in four main ways:

1. Low cost materials – our cells use a common sand-like powder instead of precious metals like platinum or corrosive materials like acids.
2. High electrical efficiency – we can convert fuel into electricity at nearly twice the rate of some legacy technologies
3. Fuel flexibility – our systems are capable of using either renewable or fossil fuels
4. Reversible – our technology is capable of both energy generation and storage

Each Bloom Energy Server provides 100kW of power, enough to meet the baseload needs of 100 average homes or a small office building... day and night, in roughly the footprint of a standard parking space. For more power simply add more energy servers.

Input:
Fuel required @ rated power 0.661 MMBtu/hr of natural gas
Output:
Rated power output (AC) 100 kW
Is this correct?
100 kw hr = $10.65 current power grid price.
100 kw hr = $8.05 using fuel cell & natural gas.

I hate to gush, but if this is real it may be the most important technological advance...well since aviation.

Thank you Heather! Very, very interesting…..
Gee….I could see how a Bloom Box and a small tank of propane could easily power an electric powered two place gyro....even an UL!
It might be a while, Ed; 100 kW for a 10 ton unit equals 13.4 hp/ton.

Power/weight ratio for a stationary power unit isn’t a high priority and the 60 Hz inverter no doubt adds a bit of heft.

The quoted efficiency, if true, is excellent. .661MMBtu/hour at rated power of 100 kW equals a thermal efficiency of nearly 52%.

A natural gas 100KW standby generator uses $15.03 per hr, and has moving parts. Question is how much heat is release as it requires 800 F to run. If it can be captured, it would run a radiant heat system for hot water or heat homes. Gas supplies are very seldom interrupted.

Chuck,

Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason we run AC is we can push electrcity father distances with smaller wire. DC motors are more efficient and the major appliances could use DC if the generator is sitting outside your back door. The inverter would only be needed for small electronics. Actually that is only partially correct as most electronics are DC.

Last edited:
Yeah but Chuck, he held a pack in his hand and said this one pack can power a house…..did I misunderstand.....me Edwin C.?
The standard figure for home power is 1 kW* or 1.34 hp., averaged over 24 hours. And the unit he held in his hand was most likely just the fuel cell core without necessary ancillaries.

*1 kw = 720 kWh/month with an electric power bill of $72 before taxes, etc.

Last edited:
A natural gas 100KW standby generator uses $15.03 per hr, and has moving parts. Question is how much heat is release as it requires 800 F to run. If it can be captured, it would run a radiant heat system for hot water or heat homes. Gas supplies are very seldom interrupted.

Chuck,

Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason we run AC is we can push electrcity father distances with smaller wire. DC motors are more efficient and the major appliances could use DC if the generator is sitting outside your back door. The inverter would only be needed for small electronics. Actually that is only partially correct as most electronics are DC.

We use AC for a number of reasons, Larry.

It is necessary to use high voltage for long distance transmission of power to keep conductor size within reasonable bounds. Transformers are an easy and inexpensive method of going up and down in voltage.

But all isn’t peachy. AC radiates part of its energy on long distance power lines; just like a radio station. It is difficult to keep voltage and current in phase over long distances (power factor).

Because of the drawbacks of AC, there is a trend to DC for long distance power transmission. Modern semiconductors are becoming competitive with transformers for stepping voltage up and down and converting back to AC.

Both DC and AC motors have about equal efficiencies in larger sizes; 90% or more but an AC induction motor is hard to beat for simplicity and durability. The induction motor in your refrigerator will out last door seals and other wear and tear items. Or your kids will stab a hole in the evaporator before the motor dies.

Brush type DC motors such as you have in your vacuum cleaner are typically rated for 300-500 hours.

BloomBox

BloomBox

I think we have enough brain power on this forum to build a knockOff and sell it for ............ say ........................ $500,000. How's that sound? Or sell it at cost for ............ $200.

Hi Heather

Thanks for the post on the Bloom Box Energy, if this turns out to be even close to the facts it will be about a 12.0 on the reichter scale in the would of energy. The ripple effect and the spins offs are beyond comprehension. As a side note I think I remember a news announcement that Obama just approved some new Nuk plants!!!!!!!

Is this going to ruffle some feathers in the special interest sector ?????????????

Tony

My brain hurts.

My brain hurts.

I think we have enough brain power on this forum to build a knockOff and sell it for ............ say ........................ $500,000. How's that sound? Or sell it at cost for ............ $200.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Fuel cells were invented in 1838 and have been in commercial/military operation since the 1950s.

Here’s a comprehensive article on how they work if anyone is interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

It’s interesting how a rosy press release can lead to the belief that the Philosophers’ Stone has just been discovered. Change lead into gold, etc.

Last edited:
I believe the size and costs are being mis-quoted.
While back a read a report on the pilot plant which has been evaluated at a southern California university for about a year.
Size was more like a filing cabinet and cost was nowhere near the number quoted.
Would be nice though to be wrong.
avk