Flying my Xenon "TurboCopter" in the Florida Keys.

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
Video LINK> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGByeK5hHSA

My eight year old grandson Cody and I went flying from KMTH (Marathon Florida Keys Airport) this week.

We took off on runway 07 and climbed to our cruise altitude of 700 agl before reaching mid field.

Turning downwind over the Gulf, after less than a minute, we turned left again, and we crossed the numbers heading south towards the Atlantic ocean side, and flew the short distance to Sombrero beach.

After a vertical decent to 400 agl, we criused down the beach, then climbed back to 700 and crossed Boot Key harbor.

On the gulf side again, we cruised up the shore, turned and entered a left base for 07 and touchdown back at MTH.

Photos don't begin to describe the vivid colors and outstanding view in the Xenon.

Another great day in paradise.

...Mark...

Last edited:
That was great Mark.

Ticks a lot of boxes.

Lovely day, down in the Keys, flying with a grandson, nice gyro.

Yup I'd agree. Pretty close to a day in Paradise.

Used to love flying down that direction when the rays came in to breed. That was spectacular.

Leigh

We vacation here each spring between March 15 and April 15. But this year with one of the coldest winters of the last several years, it is really EXTRA nice to be here.

And with a new gyro, my grandson, and my family.

It just doesn't get any better than this unless your throw Sun N Fun and Bensen days at the end of it. And that is just what I plan.

...Mark...

ms80831 :
Kind of surprising the camera man did so good and is young too. Lots of water under you......:twitch: Great flight!

Cody has flown with me in my Cessna 210 on several occasions, but this was only his second flight in a gyro. He "loved it".

Also was his first time as a photographer, as I just bought a new video camera for this vacation.

Mark

Very nice! I hope to get to fly down there someday!

Hay Mark, are you coming to BD? If not, you need to swing by the hanger at Wauchula before you head back. We are always there.

Mark, do you make any stops in the FL panhandle on your route? We have an EAA chapter here that could offer assistance if you need anything.

Thanks Tim

No, I am flying to Port St Lucie from Marathon, basing there for some day trips to Sun N Fun and Bensen Days, and then trailering my gyro and a new set of 8.8 meter blades home to Colorado in Phil Dunn's trailer.

But thanks for the offer. Maybe next year.

JR- I plan to come to BD's. See you there...

Mark

Tim

I didn't trailer it. I kept it in Port St Lucie over the winter.

Mark

Man,
that is a congested place to fly!, I kept looking for a place to land and there did not appear to be very many. I need to get out more I guess.
Thanks for the video!!

Man,
that is a congested place to fly!, I kept looking for a place to land and there did not appear to be very many. I need to get out more I guess.
Thanks for the video!!

You are right. Aim for the beach and hope for the best.

Mark

Mark:

Thanks for sharing that wonderful flight with us. It sure got my juices flowing to get my gyro up and flying again!!!

Mark:

Thanks for sharing that wonderful flight with us. It sure got my juices flowing to get my gyro up and flying again!!!

You are welcome. You inspired me to edit another one of yesterdays afternoon flight. Thanks...
Mark

Video LINK> Flying my Xenon "TurboCopter" in the Florida Keys - YouTube

My eight year old grandson Cody and I went flying from KMTH (Marathon Florida Keys Airport) this week.

We took off on runway 07 and climbed to our cruise altitude of 700 agl before reaching mid field.

Turning downwind over the Gulf, after less than a minute, we turned left again, and we crossed the numbers heading south towards the Atlantic ocean side, and flew the short distance to Sombrero beach.

After a vertical decent to 400 agl, we criused down the beach, then climbed back to 700 and crossed Boot Key harbor.

On the gulf side again, we cruised up the shore, turned and entered a left base for 07 and touchdown back at MTH.

Photos don't begin to describe the vivid colors and outstanding view in the Xenon.

Another great day in paradise.

...Mark...

I miss these videos !!....... Mark, please post more !!