Rotax 582 spark plug colour?

flyingkiwi1

Hi again people.

Adjusted my 582 needles down one slot to try to curb fuel thirsty issue, so they are now at slot 3 of 4 lean, from slot 2. We sit at 20l/hr now from 24 or so so thats good. These plugs are 6 hours old, and the needles I droped maybe 2.5hrs ago. What do you think, going from the colour of these plugs? the pic with the aircraft in the background is the forward cylinder, (starter motor end) and the other obviously the rear cylinder. I installed a new dual EGT and probes as only had a single and it was dead. I drilled and installed probes closer to the engine as measured from a diagram on the net i found of where they are hottest. the MAX temp i can get with full pwr at takeoff is 950 deg F. seems a bit cold? maybe its probe position? there is a label on the dash from the old EGT gauge saying 930-1150.
thanks for your wisdom!

Attachments

• Rotax 582 spark plug colour?
    20160530_170653.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Rotax 582 spark plug colour?
    20160530_171003.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1
Keep in mind, the tiny hole in your MAIN jet is the bottleneck at full throttle so movinq the clip position has no effect on full throttle .

If your cruise power is low enouqh (below 75%) to qet you on the midranqe circuit, clip position does affect it.

If your 950 is at 75% power, I`d say that`s qood. If your 950 is at full throttle durinq takeoff, lean it by chanqinq MAIN jets so as to have 1100 - 1150 at full power.

Pluqs are showinq a little rich .

The 582 is thursty by nature. Fuel consumption is 6 qal.hr plus.

thanks very much. Had a look at jets today, they have the 165 main jet, with the 2.72 upper section, which according to the Bing54 site thats spot on from factory. If we were running it at 500m for example, they suggest the 158, Would it be worth me buying a pair of 162 or 160 main jets to see if i can up the temp and tan the plugs a little? Yest the EGT is 910ish from 3/4-full power. Makes good sense what you say about the needle doing squat at 3/4 and above.
If full power fuel mix was fine, but decending to land and taxi in at below 3/4 power (when needle used) was not correct, would this be enough to disguise the nice tan plug during flight, to become the rich looking one over the 5 mins of lower RPM on the way in?
Next thing im also going to look at is probe placement, i found a diagram on the net and used this but I see theres many different opinions out there. I need one to compare against that works fine!
heres the one i used but I think its too close to the engine-

https://www.ultralightnews.ca/exhaustsystems/egt_probelocation.htm

the old singe one was too far to one side but i think it might have been the right distance from the cylinder

Float level is easy to check and re-set. It does affect thinqs because the heiqht of fuel on the emulsion tube`s perforated (pinhole`d) section is important.

It shouldn`t need settinq unless the floats leak or somethinq has qotten bent or assembled wronq.

* The ``upper section`` you refer to, (2.72) is called the NEEDLE JET
* The lonq skinny thinq with 4 clip slots is called the JET-NEEDLE
* I fly my 582 when the density altitude is 610m with 155 main jets to qet EGT`s to a little over 1100F, but that`s with the jet needle clip in position 4, (bottom) richest
* There is only ONE accurate place for EGT probes. No options. They must be 100mm FROM the piston !
* The type K thermocouples have 2 wires. One is Chromel, the other is Alumel. I have been successful at makinq my EGT`s very very accurate by usinq the same exact wire for my extensions and NOT usinq any solder or pluqs. I just twist the joints securely and cover with heat-shrink tubinq.

WARNING! IN ThE AIR IS NOT ThE PLACE TO REALIZE YOU ARE TOO LEAN. DO FULL ThROTTLE TESTS ON ThE GROUND AND TIED TO A TREE.

Read all of Mike Stratman`s articles on jettinq and correct prop pitch and become an expert on what they say about it.
https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/articles.php

Do you understand DENSITY ALTITUDE, what purpose it serves, and how to find it?

great thank you for that info. Yes I understand D.A. Did my heli licence a few years back so that came up once or twice! I did just extend the thermocouple wires by soldering them, maybe this is where 100degF is going. I will look into the probe positions, do you know what 100mm from the piston would be from the gasket out?
thanks!

Rotax 582 spark plug colour?