wind tunnel test on model gyro blades

GrantR

Aircraft
Kolb MarkIII and a "Jake" Gyroplane
Total Flight Time
About 85 fixed wing 3 gyro
http://www.autogyro.com/technic/tun_test.htm

The above link has some information on wind tunnel tests done on model gyro rotor blades. I am using some SG6042 rotor blades on my model now and the performance has improved a great bit over the homemade foam blades I was using.

GrantR,
I have been told the SG 6042 airfoil was developed for wind mind applications. The testing was done at very low speeds of around 40 mph and no data that I have found indicates testing above that speed... some food for thought.

Brings up a good point. We now have gyros flying over 100 mph; Magni, Sportcopter, and Barnett. It would be interesting to compare, as I know the Magni guys pre-rotate and then full throttle where as the Sportcopter blades on the RAF/Sparrowhawk gradually increase throttle & blade speed.

It would be interesting to see if Sportcopter changed their blades for the higher speeds and shorter takeoffs.

What do you mean Larry?

"increase throttle & blade speed" As far as I know, everyone pre-rotates, then accelerates. With the exception of no pre-rotator.

There really isn't anything to change in our blades. Unless you have a suggestion.

Just spoke with Jon by phone. The new Sportcopter II pre-rotates high and gets off the ground quick. Training for the RAF or Sparrowhawk is different for TO.

It was good to talk to you Larry, thanks for calling!

I think your instructor is trying to keep you from getting off the ground "too" quickly. Let me know what he says, I'm interested.

The purpose would be to avoid "ballooning" etc.