YouTube video series on how helicopters fly….

As far as gyroscopic procession, retreating blade stall and cyclic pitch….yes.

They also talk about a swashplate and using a collective stick to change both blades pitch at the same time on some of these videos….this of course does not apply to gyros.

I don't think precession applies, because my joystick inputs are in phase with the direction I wanna go in. This has always bothered me.

Yeah, that is what I thought, but like the video showed, it is a very large disk spinning like a gyro. Funny that it doesn't...

Last edited:
Tinman- gyroscopic precession is a very small amount of force in our rotors, , but aerodynamic precession causes the same effect and is the main reason why when the pitch is max at 3 o'clock, the rotor aerodynamically precesses to its highest point at 12 o'clock. Stan

Yep…90° gyroscopic precession is a rule in physics.
There is more on this in the video that talks about dissimilar lift and I believe retreating blade stall….

I don't think precession applies, because my joystick inputs are in phase with the direction I wanna go in. This has always bothered me.

Next time you are setting on your gyro Lee, place the blades at 3:00 and 9:00...then watching the blade at 3:00, move your cyclic stick aft.

You will see that advancing blade increase in pitch. When rotating, that blade will climb to its highest point 90° later at 12:00....and the gyro will climb.

Good video it explains it very well!!!
Thanks for posting!

Tinman- gyroscopic precession is a very small amount of force in our rotors, , but aerodynamic precession causes the same effect and is the main reason why when the pitch is max at 3 o'clock, the rotor aerodynamically precesses to its highest point at 12 o'clock. Stan

Stan's right - for most helicopters in the U. S. where the main rotor blades turn counter-clockwise (when viewed from the top).

I agree that the videos are informative and entertaining, but when illustrating rotor concepts with the model helicopters, their blades are rotating clockwise.

I know - picky, picky.