Yamaha Genesis 120hp engine

Except for the rain, I would call that a dry run.

Sounds as smooth as a sewing machine. Glad you getting to fly and not have to just make parts. That is my kind of flying. How far did you go Todd?

Anyone

Anyone

Good day fellas..Been poking around the internet looking for a new motor to run a plane. Somewhat a powerful and modern engine. I want a motor that would weigh not over 200 and would produce at least 100hp. Anyone who knows where to find it, And I want the cheaper ones.

Been poking around the internet looking for a new motor to run a plane. Somewhat a powerful and modern engine. I want a motor that would weigh not over 200 and would produce at least 100hp. Anyone who knows where to find it, And I want the cheaper ones.
You and everyone else! :)

"are there any websites or links to people who have used these for fixed-wing applications?"
The rotary forum shows pictures of some that were used on Zenyth aitcraft. Google and you will also find some that were installed in ultralights long before the gyro crowd discovered them

Jim

Yamaha performance

Yamaha performance

Was that overkill on the kolb? How did it perform?

Many people put the Rotax 912S on Kolbs and the Yamaha is right in that range.

With 460# of people and fuel it would still climb between 600 and 700 feet/min. I think it is a great engine with lots of potential.

Many people put the Rotax 912S on Kolbs and the Yamaha is right in that range.

With 460# of people and fuel it would still climb between 600 and 700 feet/min. I think it is a great engine with lots of potential.

Doesnt the yamaha have around 40 more HP than the rotax? could you feel the extra HP or was performance similar. I watched more of your videos on youtube and it seems to be a good performer.

I live in Snow Machine country and there are those things zipping all around in the winter, I leave the gates open on the farm to let the snowmobile club come through as they like, and I have personally seen as many as 100 machines up at the barn, its a pit stop for those people, I don't mind as long as they smoke over near the river, and not in or around the barn.
But yeah, here is an idea for you guys in the "deep" south, try this link, there is always lots of machines for sale, http://www.kijiji.ca/ and then just pick a city, remember they are not many machine in the city of Toronto, try Orangeville or Barrie just look on a map you will get the idea.

Yamaha snowmobile engines are geting a good workout in the world's toughest race, the Dakar, mounted in the back of the McRae buggys

Ken

if you use kijiji and go to Barrie I live 25 minutes from barrie and so could help,especially with making sure its real not a scam.

Todd,
Has the clutch problem been resolved to your satisfaction with the Yamaha and has anyone had any problems with the Cbox handling that much horsepower?

Last edited:
The clutch problem has been resolved for a long time now. a positive centering adaptor that centers the output shaft of the motor exactly to the gearbox input shaft was the major fix. everybody who has ever bought a motor from me has recieved this upgrade free of charge.
New clutch drives will also be hardned like a gear so they should last forever.

Clutch problems solved?

Clutch problems solved?

In my opinion, I believe it is yet to be seen if the clutch problems are solved. My first (unimproved) clutch failed at about 40 hours and the 2nd clutch had about 40 hours on it when I sold the aircraft. I believe Rons clutch failed at around 80 hours. He has now replaced it and has very low time on the new installation. I could be wrong, but i do not believe any clutch has made it to 100 hours (just because most have not been flow many hours yet). The good news is that the failure mode is very noticable and slow so it is not a failure that will cause you to loose power in flight. I think the Yamaha is a great engine and it is one of the best conversions out there. I also believe what someone wrote in another thread about if an engine (driving a prop) makes it to 200 hours, you are over the hump with that engine/redrive/propeller combination. I would absolutly put another Yamaha 3 cylinder 4 stroke in an aircraft, and I think it is way further down the road than many conversions people are talking about but I think it is a little optimistic to state "The clutch problem has been resolved for a long time now". I also could be wrong and there is an engine out there with well over 100 hours on it, Todd could help us out with that statistic.

Jason

The clutch problem has been resolved for a long time now. a positive centering adaptor that centers the output shaft of the motor exactly to the gearbox input shaft was the major fix. everybody who has ever bought a motor from me has recieved this upgrade free of charge.
New clutch drives will also be hardned like a gear so they should last forever.

All the low time failures you mentioned did not have the centering adaptor, Jason you know for a fact that if the two shafts are not in exact alignment the clutch friction pads oscillate in the drive body constantly which creates much friction and wear.

True nobody has a ton of hours on one of the true centered and hardened drive yet but a few of us are working on that, it just takes time

Todd and Jason
I thank both of you for your candid and open response.

Todd, I have no doubt that you made the enhancements to your redrive available for no charge to those early customers. My interest in asking is I am about ready to try a redrive out and I want to know if there are any known boogie mans in the redrives.

I did center my redrive on the Weber with the crank.

As you say it does take time to build up hours. I just want to take advantage of what you guys have learned and hopefully apply it to my Weber engine where possible.

Jason,
you would be a good "review writer". I like your descriptive analysis of products.

Last edited: