Yamaha Genesis 120hp engine

Yep Todd I was hoping you had pics for the mount on the Dominator, Guess Ill have to wait! I hope everything slots into place easy and am looking forward to seeing the progress.
Paddy

Somebody should take that front suspension and put it on a gyro!

Sweet engines, I like.

Scott, Get out of my head!
The suspensions are built very strong but very narrow. The shocks have too soft of springs on them to be practical for a gyro application but I still see some potential there, possibly.

Russ Hobbs brought down the sweetest shocks I have ever seen made by Walker Evans Racing. They are only 2lbs 4oz each, these are by far the lightest shocks I have ever had in my hands and they are very strong, I will do some R&D with these baby's and post results.

Attachments

• Shock #9.jpg
    Shock #9.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
I believe the genesis 120hp engine can handle both AV gas or pump gas no problem, I do not think it would know the difference since it is carberated and has no oxygen sensor.
I will check for you on the fuel injected version and find out if they even care, I believe that some of the sled heads run AV gas in there sleds and have no problem with them either but let me verify that for you.

By the way there will be one of these engines on a Dominator frame in your part of the country soon so you can check it out in person.

Have a good day, Todd

What do you use?

Why do the sled drivers use AV gas?

Does that mean they travel to a nearby airport to fill up their cans for sledding?

Last edited:
Some of the sled guys have increased the compression on there engines to increase the horsepower so they run AV gas because of the higher octane rating.
I run basic auto fuel, same as you put in your car. I cannot see any reason to spend the extra $$$

Paddy I assure you it will be worth the wait, I spent a week with Todd making chips, Ok we played a little, but we made a lot of chips as well. Hang in there it's in the works.

Here is a sneak peek of what I will be sending those who order plans on the engine re drive frame. I believe they will be very good quality and easy to understand. I made the designs where you do not need a CNC mill to make any of the parts, a manual machine will work just fine. I will even give X and Y coordinates for all the bolt hole circles and locations so you do not even have to do the math.
I am not ready to release the plans quite yet because I need to build a complete setup off the plans to make sure all the numbers are exact and that I did not overlook anything. Thanks to all of you who have been waiting patiently.
Todd

Attachments

• Computor Left Frame Rail #1.jpg
    Computor Left Frame Rail #1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Computor Left Frame Rail #2.jpg
    Computor Left Frame Rail #2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Computor Right Frame Rail #1.jpg
    Computor Right Frame Rail #1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
  • Computer Flywheel #1.jpg
    Computer Flywheel #1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
Racer,
The new design looks sharp my friend, looking good.

PS, 2 hours in the air yesterday, fog lifted to a brilliant sunny fall day. The deciduous trees are all yellow and red this time of year, absolutely beautiful.

This is the engine I want to put on my little wing or pitbull tractor design gyro. I live at 5,900 feet with the mountains around me reaching 8,500 feet and in the summer the temps can reach mid 90's.. :hail: Thanks for all the work and posting you have done about the Yamaha 120hp engine

This man with name Martin Schanche (picture Yamaha1) is a guru in engine and transmission.

He have constructed a aircraft engine with the tree cylinder 1050ccm Yamaha engine as basis.
The ECU is from MoTeC
http://www.motec.com.au/aboutecu/ecuoverview/

Girbox is ratio 3.21:1 and is constructed to handle up to 500hp and with a TBO at least 10 000 hour.
The shaft fit Rotax propeller and a huge other standard.

The engine with this turbo is rated from 160 hp to 225 hp.
Torque from 150 to 200 nm.
You can download the dynometer test here
http://www.flyboat.no/Yamaha/Yamaha.pdf.

Short sumary:
60% trottle 4000 rpm 82 hp 146 nm 0,28 kg (4.06 PSI) turbo pressure.
60% trottle 7800 rpm 128 hp 118 nm 0,36 kg (5.22 PSI) turbo pressure.
75% trottle 4000 rpm 84 hp 150 nm 0,32 kg (4.64 PSI) turbo pressure.
75% trottle 7800 rpm 179 hp 165 nm 0,54 kg (7.83 PSI) turbo pressure.
100% trottle 4000 rpm 85 hp 153 nm 0,34 kg (4.93 PSI) turbo pressure.
100% trottle 7800 rpm 224 hp 205 nm 0,71 kg (10.30 PSI) turbo pressure.

Martin Schanche sell complete gearbox to the Yamaha, and ECU programmed to this engine.

Those who have serious question can send a mail to him regards delivery and prices.
[email protected]
Home page http://www.schanche.com/

High res. picture:
http://www.flyboat.no/Yamaha/Yamaha1.jpg

http://www.flyboat.no/Yamaha/Yamaha2.jpg

http://www.flyboat.no/Yamaha/Yamaha3.jpg

http://www.flyboat.no/Yamaha/Yamaha4.jpg

Regards
Erik
Norway

Attachments

• Yamaha4.jpg
    Yamaha4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Yamaha1.jpg
    Yamaha1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Yamaha2.jpg
    Yamaha2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Yamaha3.jpg
    Yamaha3.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yes I know there are some guys who do amazing things with these little power plants, I enjoy hearing how there tests results come out not because I want to hotrod my engine out, (the thing flies great stock) but because I see they are holding up under these extreme conditions, that just reaffirms how bullet proof these motors are.

I must say racking up hours on my motor has taken more time than I thought it would because I usually fly for an hour or less then come down to refuel. I have now logged over 40 hours total time on my motor as of this weekend and it has performed flawlessly the entire time. I will let you know when I pass the 50 hour mark.
Todd

I still need to mark off my tank gallon per gallon so I can see exactly but when I fly for an hour I use about 3.3 gallons, could be as much as 3.5 gallons per hour.

I still need to mark off my tank gallon per gallon so I can see exactly but when I fly for an hour I use about 3.3 gallons, could be as much as 3.5 gallons per hour.

It sounds like the fuel savings over a two-cycle would pay for the engine acquisition costs, and one would have MORE POWER on demand!

I was out flying my gyro around last Saturday just enjoying the ride but I must admit I was getting pretty cold up there. I was thinking that I need to start dressing warmer and definitely wear some heavier gloves when I glanced at my dash and noticed the flashing
"18" which is a trouble code that means the handlebar heaters are inoperative.
That got me re thinking about the idea of taking the handlebar heaters off the sled and making one of them the grip on my cyclic stick and the other one the throttle control handle, that way I could have a heated cyclic and throttle control for the cold days.

I was looking at the sleds in my garage when the speedometer pickup caught my eye, It is a tooth gap reader just like how my rotor tach works then I got to thinking... I could read my ring gear on my rotor head with that and it would read on my speedometer, all I would need to do is see how many miles per hour my rotor turns in flight and that could be my rotor tach right there in my digital dash.

That idea even gets better, I could see how many miles it would register on the odometer in an hour and that number of miles would be exactly one hour of flying. It would only register when the rotor blades are turning, when they stop the odometer stops as well, it would always keep an accurate tally of all my flying time.

So with this system my speedometer now becomes my rotor tach and my odometer now becomes my hour meter, plus I have a trip odometer that I could reset at anytime for any reason I want.

Man if I go this far than I should also modify the fuel sending unit as well and install it in my seat tank so that I will have an accurate digital gas gage as well.

There is so much stuff off these sleds I can use to build some very sweet gyros, I am sure I will find more uses for other things off these sleds. It just keeps getting better and better.

Todd, started on the flywheel today, looks great. Thanks for all your help. I want heated grips too, I'm the worlds biggest wimp when it comes to being cold. I'm in the air again tomorrow. Yippee

Yes Russ, You can have heated grips as well, as long as I am in the adding accessories mode could I interest you in a good used 8 track tape player?

My tapes are getting old, like me. Thanks and about that rotor tach idea?

What might be even cooler, as far as a use for the speedo out of the sled, it to make it a true speedo.

Chuck Beaty has converted old style motorcycle speedos to register airspeed, by making a small propeller attach to the cable that drives the internals of the instrument, therefore when you fly, the prop turns and the speedo registers....

I would think there would be a way to do the same and have the prop turn a small gear with the right number of teeth to register a fairly accurate indication of the gyros true airspeed.

Setting up the sleds speedo to show airspeed would then have the odometer showing miles traveled. It would be a interesting way to gauge use of the gyro by how many miles you have flown with it.....

What say you Todd, I think it might just work. Is the snowmobile system done by impulse or by a gear cog?