Yamaha Genesis 120hp engine

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
Dad ended up having to use a tiny tach for his Yamanator. The EIS would not read above 8K. The tiny tach works great.

Racer

Aircraft
Air Command CLT N7512X
Just touching base
I am still here doing well and still building Yamaha Engine Kits,
I am not on the forum as much as I used to be but I can be contacted at anytime by phone. (719) 499-2378
Give me a call or shoot me a text
Todd, (aka) Racer

PuddlePirate

Question for you that have installed the 3 cylinder yamaha.
What gear ratio and gearbox are you using, what prop are you using and what is the distance from your mast to the prop flange.
I am looking to install one in a RAF2000 and would love to chat with someone that has done this mod in their RAF.

Thanks
Alan

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Question for you that have installed the 3 cylinder yamaha.
What gear ratio and gearbox are you using, what prop are you using and what is the distance from your mast to the prop flange.
I am looking to install one in a RAF2000 and would love to chat with someone that has done this mod in their RAF.

Thanks
Alan

The Sport Copter I have the Yamaha three banger on uses the Rotax "C" gear box @ a 3:1 GB ratio. It is the standard "Todd Rieck" conversion running the RK-400 clutch improved upon by Todd.

Currently using a 68" Sport Prop (plan on replacing that w/ a Warp Drive that would be tougher for those little rocks/runway debris that get sucked up into the leading edges).

Sorry, but don't know the mast to prop flange distance until the next time I venture out too the hangar.

Haven't heard of anyone changing over to the Yamaha snowmobile engine on their RAFs...The props have to usually be shorter to fit under the rotorblades, and still clear the keel. I would think the mast would have to be raised up quite a bit to allow a bigger prop diameter to handle the horses of the Yamaha. Wait...same size prop as used with the Subaru, but more blades would also work, like the New Mexico fella said he went to.

Alan: It was nice meeting you @ the last chapter meeting over @ the NWAAC clubhouse on the east side of Scappoose airport. It's good to see more builders/fliers joining Chapter 73!

Last edited:

PuddlePirate

spare motor

spare motor

Hello Kevin,
Great to have met you also. Are you the person with the spare yamaha laying around?

Alan

The Sport Copter I have the Yamaha three banger on uses the Rotax "C" gear box @ a 3:1 GB ratio. It is the standard "Todd Rieck" conversion running the RK-400 clutch improved upon by Todd.

Currently using a 68" Sport Prop (plan on replacing that w/ a Warp Drive that would be tougher for those little rocks/runway debris that get sucked up into the leading edges).

Sorry, but don't know the mast to prop flange distance until the next time I venture out too the hangar.

Haven't heard of anyone changing over to the Yamaha snowmobile engine on their RAFs...The props have to usually be shorter to fit under the rotorblades, and still clear the keel. I would think the mast would have to be raised up quite a bit to allow a bigger prop diameter to handle the horses of the Yamaha. Wait...same size prop as used with the Subaru, but more blades would also work, like the New Mexico fella said he went to.

Alan: It was nice meeting you @ the last chapter meeting over @ the NWAAC clubhouse on the east side of Scappoose airport. It's good to see more builders/fliers joining Chapter 73!

Kevin_Richey

Spare motor?

Spare motor?

Yup. two, in fact. still in the sleds. One @ the hanger in Battle Ground, and the other here in Portland. Both w/ extremely low mileage on them. 400 and 600.

The one I'm flying on had 5,200 miles on it when it became an insurance salvage sled that Todd Risk picked up.

I decided to put both sleds up for sale to build up my impending retirement war chest!

Kevin_Richey

One gone, one left.

One gone, one left.

Pete: Sold one to a guy who called me up w/out advertising them. The other I still have since haven't placed an ad for it. I see Yamaha Venture/Venture sleds around my fairly local area on Craigslist having these gems of powerplants going for USD $3,600 to $4,000, having several K mileage.

I pulled the plug on working shortly after I posted that last Feb. Right now posting from the Alvord desert dry labeled in SE Oregon, where Gilbert & I are camped out w/our Sport Copter gyros. He flying on Austrian 912 power & I on Japanese 973cc.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
Hey Grom Thief take some pics old friend.:boink::)
Come on down to the Illinois, would love to have ya.

Last edited: