Yamaha 120-150 HP Conversion Kits For Sale

Hasn't Ernie got a four cylinder Yamaha running with a gearbox? I think he fly's it every other day for rotor test flying.
We have a three cylinder Yamaha engine here ( NZ ) that's been waiting a while for a gearbox. At last we have the time ( if not the money ) to finish this project. This is a gear drive bolted directly to the engine, not some sort of adaption.
Like our EA and EJ series gearboxes they look as part of the engine. These will not be " project managed " to be sold before we are happy with long term tests.

Do you have any drawings for the Arrow gearbox? I would like to adapt one to a BMW oilhead.

Yes, send me an email in a PM where I can send it.

I just purchased one of the 140 hp 4 cylinder engines from Hibshman... I need to get in line to get your kit for a redrive. This application will be a tractor configuration.

Gary Buster
East Texas

Send me your email in a PM, I can get you an adapter immediately - for use with either an AutoFlight gearbox, or the one from the guy in Canada, can't think of his company name right now...Jon Carleton has one of his units he's putting on a Soobie.

If you want to wait a bit I'm developing chain drive PSRUs, which will be both purpose-built as a bolt-on for the YG4 engines I am using exclusively, as well as available for use on any other engine. Big improvements for clearance at 1/3 the length of a traditional gear box, plus 1/2 the vibration, 1/2 the power loss through the transmission, integrated internal clutch for smooth starts and harmonic damping, and greatly reduced weight.

Hasn't Ernie got a four cylinder Yamaha running with a gearbox? I think he fly's it every other day for rotor test flying.
We have a three cylinder Yamaha engine here ( NZ ) that's been waiting a while for a gearbox. At last we have the time ( if not the money ) to finish this project. This is a gear drive bolted directly to the engine, not some sort of adaption.
Like our EA and EJ series gearboxes they look as part of the engine. These will not be " project managed " to be sold before we are happy with long term tests.

I saw Ernie's Blue Tandem Dominator at Mentone. It appeared to me that he had replaced the Yamaha 4, 150 HP EFI, with a Viking 100-110 HP EFI, which uses their Viking gear box on the end of it. Unless he now has two blue tandems, I don't think he has the Yamaha 4 mounted on a gyro anymore. He did seem pretty much fed up with it last time we talked about it, as he never got the electrical system sorted out on the EFI and engine would suddenly quit and go to idle forno apparent reason every now and then in flight.

(I went a slightly different route, using carbs heated both electrically and engine coolant (liquid). I am really happy with it, and the engine simply won't quit if you have an electrical problem. You can lose the ECU, the regulator, even the battery, and it will continue to fly just fine - unlike any other conversion EFI engine in use today, including Yamaha, Soobie, Honda, Viking, whatever.)

I called Ernie up, seems like he is really only interested in those Florida-built Vikings...that already have a gearbox mounted up to it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW: The output shaft end of the YG3 crankcase is blank. There is no place to fabricate, alter, nor install an adapter or a gearbox. I take it you are using the magneto end of the engine to bolt up one of your PSRUs?

You should contact me with price and availability of your PSRU, as right now I have two other customers who may be interested in your unit perhaps in place of the Canadien one I have been selling with the conversion kits to date. Send me a PM, I'll give you my phone number and email if you don't have it handy.

Did you do any calculations for the torsional vibration or are you hopping the sprag clutch will handle it all? If so what is your cyclical fatigue time on the sprag clutch?

I've seen and read an awful lot of hooey concerning why sprags wont' work, but the theories are all garbage. It works fine. You need to keep them well lubed. The problem that some folks get all hung up on is rate of decoupling. It doesn't matter. Amplified constructive wave formation is what you need to worry about, and that is nowhere near every wave crest. One in 10 is a very conservative concern. Fully half of the rest of the harmonic waves are actually self-cancelling, and there is LESS destructive vibration than the single component of the engine output in and of itself.

Yaminator still running good. The Vikinator you saw at Mentone is a new machine. They are painted the same color. It runs great and is for sale.

Yaminator still running good. The Vikinator you saw at Mentone is a new machine. They are painted the same color. It runs great and is for sale.

Yep, I noticed he had put the Yaminator up for sale recently.

Have you come up with your website yet? Interested in new redrive if it will work in a tractor application.

Tractor is a great installation. Working on the website, I'll post a link here soon.

This is unbelievable. The original threads for Todd Reick, Ron Awad, and Greg Mills for the FIRST EVER SUCCESSFUL Yamaha YG3 and YG4 engine conversions are GONE. Ron's had some 300k+ hits, mine had nearly 300k hits. I can't recall how many Todd had. Even find the Yamanator thread is somehow missing.

THEY NO LONGER EXIST???

I have scoured the build threads and the engine threads, having used the search functions here, and Google & Yahoo...

{edited by GTM 5/28/22 1130 Zulu}

Last edited:
First result found on internet search (not using Google, but Duck Duck Go): Todd Rieck's (Racer) Yamaha engine on his Air Command gyroplane thread (37 pages).
Not gone.
Not deleted.
No action taken against him or his content, as you accuse, Greg.

Also found 25 pages of Yamaha on a gyro info re: Ron's lengthy Yamaha conversion build thread:

Greg: Your previous forum name "No Wings Attached" shows no posts by that name nor any threads started by you. Probably a result of forum username being abandoned for a new name. Loss of posts on your build are likely for that reason, not any malicious part of the forum administrators, as you accused in Post 75:

"This is unbelievable. The original threads for Todd Reick, Ron Awad, and Greg Mills for the FIRST EVER SUCCESSFUL Yamaha YG3 and YG4 engine conversions are GONE. Ron's had some 300k+ hits, mine had nearly 300k hits. I can't recall how many Todd had. Even find the Yamanator thread is somehow missing.

THEY NO LONGER EXIST. WTF???

I have scoured the build threads and the engine threads, I have used the search functions, I have tried Google...

It appears someone has been intentionally obliterated all evidence of gyrocopter pioneering of the most powerful, lightest, most successful, most reliable, and cheapest aircraft conversion engine ever.
And you call me an asshole
."

You are far too quick to jump to incorrect conclusions.

And, Mr. Mills, I don't know who called you an asshole, but I have never called you that or any other, similar name. I doubt Vance B. has & probably not Todd P., either. Maybe another forum member referred to you that way, but I don't use that type of language.

Last edited:
Post #76 updated from original post by me. Yamaha build threads have not disappeared. Were not found using the forum "Search" feature, but they turned up in a simple (Non-Google) internet search.

Post #76 updated from original post by me. Yamaha build threads have not disappeared. Were not found using the forum "Search" feature, but they turned up in a simple (Non-Google) internet search.
Perhaps I jumped to the worst conclusions after becoming frustrated running Google & Yahoo searches then quit trying. All apologies, have edited the recent post, much thanks to you for taking valuable time to research and find these. Still trying to become a better citizen.

The build thread I am still trying to find is titled something like, "Anything New With Yamaha...[etc]?" and it had some 287,000 views, among the top 5 thread hits on RF.

Last edited: