Yamaha 120-150 HP Conversion Kits For Sale

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
After completing an unprecedented, virtually flawless flight testing period, we are now ready to announce that our Yamaha GT4 aircraft engine kits and parts are available for sale.

Web site is coming soon. Introductory pricing for this forum only is listed as follows, guaranteed for 45 days from today.

1. PSRU GT4 Engine spacer, drilled and shuffled pinned: $595.00
8746922160_61355ff026_c.jpg

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
A couple more views of the GT4 PSRU spacer (patents pending).

8746921884_ae2dd3c340_z.jpg

8745799097_6cd5226515_c.jpg

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Motor mounts, complete, all hardware and framing from engine, to keel, and mast: $495.00

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
GT4 Adapter plate. This piece mounts the PSRU to the spacer, and is unique to each brand of PSRU. We can mount AutoFlight, Air Trikes, Rotax, Arrow, you name it, we'll configure the plate for you. Shown here as an example is an Arrow PSRU adapter plate. Price includes precision centering, drilling and shuffle pinning of PSRU.

Price: $695.00

8745799513_47447d8e59_c.jpg

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Complete conversion kit available for just $1775.00. This price is introductory, and is only good through July 30, 2013.

We guarantee our all-up, installed weight is lighter than any 4-stroke engine producing 80 - 150 HP.

80 - 150HP, you decide how much power you want. This package can be tuned to your needs.

If you can mount a Viking, a Rotax 912, a Yamaha Genesis 3 on a single place gyro, you can mount this setup on it and be 10-20 pounds lighter, at the same HP! Then dial it up for more power later on if you wish, when you get comfortable with extreme power on a gyrocopter or a FW.

Complete bolt-on kits with purpose-built, integrated GTX "Silent Drives" coming this summer. Estimated turnkey base price, including engine, electronics and PSRU with Warp Drive propeller: $11-12,000, pre-tuned to your flying level and needs.

Last edited:

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Congrats on your successful engine conversion, I wish you luck. :)
Does the engine adapter fit the 80hp engine also?
Anyhow very nice work, and your conversion looks good and sounds great.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
How many hours on it Gerg?

I have 130 hours on mine and although I would consider that somewhat successful, its still a shot in the dark. Who knows if it will still be together and running in 10 more hours.

I would not call anything a success till you get at least 100 hours on it.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Ron:

This is still in the relatively early phase of use, as we have completed 21 hours of flawless performance as of yesterday, and plan to do another cross country when I get finished posting here.

In all fairness, comparing apples to apples:

The only other YG4 conversion project I am aware of suffered several issues, including electrical issues resulting in sudden power loss to idle for no apparent reason while in flight, and redrive problems - all within the first 20 hours of testing. That project was abandoned for being too time-consuming, too costly, and unprofitable.

The only other Yamaha conversion popularly known here is the YG3, which suffered numerous setbacks and problems, including exhaust fractures and catastrophic clutch failures, all within the very similar stages of testing and use as we are talking about here today.

Next to these two programs, it is to our good name and fortune that we have not shared nor suffered any such stumbling blocks within the same period of testing, but rather have a perfect record to stand on at this point in time.

With hard work, attention to detail, and solid implementation of superior design features, we sincerely believe our success will continue along the trajectory we are on today. We hope that our program grows and matures to serve the flying community by providing the absolute safest, simplest, easiest to install, lightest, most cost-effective, reliable, and powerful engine conversion kits available anywhere.

Now that the basic engine installation package has been successfully proven beyond any reasonable doubt, we can begin Phase II of the GTX YG4 program: Develop a purpose-built, fully integrated redrive for our GTX YG4 conversion.

Our target to roll out the GTX PSRU is our YG4 debut at Mentone 2013. With Bensen Days behind us, and our goals there met and all expectations realized, my work has only just begun.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
A note of gratitude:

Thanks to Todd for his ground-breaking work and research on the Yamaha Genesis 3 conversion.

Thanks to Ron for his inspirational thread on his YG3 project.

Thanks to Ernie for all of his help, encouragement and moral support while I built the GTX YG4 conversion.

Thanks to all three of you for sharing your projects and your knowledge. I avoided many pitfalls thanks to you guys.

phantom

How did you test this engine, redrive system? I will not fly any of the things that I build for the first time until I run them on my test stand for at least 10 hours if it won't hurt me if it fails, if it is something that could recycle me into worm food if it failed then I give a full 50 hours on a yank stand at all power settings including several hours at full power while turning up to 90 degrees every 2 seconds, it was this test that caused my inflight adjustable prop to throw a blade in less than 20 hours last summer. This would have been a fatal crash in my gyro as it tore the engine off the mount and tossed it several yards away.
Be careful and good luck.

Norm

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Gerg, who is " WE " ? I thought this was a " YOU " project.

As far as problems with the 3 cylinder, I didn't have a single issue other than jetting, until I had something like 60 hours on it. At that point one of the two clutch return springs broke and the clutch would not fully disengage. Wasn't catastrophic by any means and would have been flyable without issue even with both return springs broken.

Other issues found were in the custom made clutch drive. Todd had mine made ( mine was the first to have a clutch ) out of a good grade of steel, but didn't have it heat treated or coated, as the orginal RK-400 part is. So over the period of the 60 hours or so of use, the " ears" that push against the clutch shoes showed some signs of wear. At the rate they were wearing, after perhaps 200 to 300 hours the drive body would be worn to the point it would not be safe to use. Todd contracted Scott Wagonner to make new replacement for me and others, and to have it properly hardened and treated. This new part has been on my engine for over 60 hours and no problems noted.

The exhaust I originally fabricated was mounted to the lower keel and the stock yamaha flex joints were used... the lower keel flexes too much and the stock flex joints started to crack. I am sure that had the exhaust been mounted to the engine itself entirely, or mounted to the drop portion of the keel as it is now, the stock pieces would have never failed.

There is no telling what will fail next or when. Thats the gamble of not buying a more known engine such as a Rotax 912 or Lycoming, etc... And even those can fail without warning.

I believe its more of a gamble to go with your conversion than mine, simply because your engine has a total fleet hour number of 20 some odd hours! The 3 cylinder conversion has several hundred fleet hours between my 130+ hours, Todd has at least that many on his, Jason O, and others ( I know of at least 2 other gyros running this engine package and both fly quite a bit )

But saying that, I would still tell someone who asked me if they should buy one for themselves, that they have to weight the options.... would a 100hp 912 work for them? If so, the 20 grand price might be worth it, knowing they should have a extremely solid engine. OR.... they can pay out about half as much and get a yamaha, that so far looks solid and promising, but ultimately who knows.... There are torsional resonance issues that could be at play and for all we know the crankshafts could crack in half at 200 hours. Hard to know what to expect till some of these engines get a bunch more hours on them

PW_Plack

...Now that the basic engine installation package has been successfully proven beyond any reasonable doubt...

Gerg, with all due respect, your hype is getting way ahead of your testing. Having 21 hours on one prototype is not "proven beyond any reasonable doubt," especially when your real competition has proven over decades that its 2,000-hour TBO is for real.

It's also bad form to exaggerate the setbacks of others at the same time you exaggerate your own achievements.

What you've done is impressive. I am personally excited that someone is finally moving in the direction of making this engine option available as an integrated package. There's no need to be so over-the-top on the self-back-patting. If this does indeed prove reliable, you'll have a waiting list.

Racer

Aircraft
Air Command CLT N7512X
Greg,
Good job on your conversion by the way, looks nice
You, Ron and Paul all have very good points.
I was the reason for the setback on the 3 cylinder version and I take full responsibility for that.
The setback that we had was the clutch.
I did not make a way to perfectly positively align the gearbox input shaft to the motor output shaft. That has now been resolved with a simple alignment ring that I provided to all of my past customers free of charge. Problem fixed.
Ron explained why his exhaust cracked, no need to cover that again.
The only other thing I can think of that caused any kind of issue was the stock vacuum fuel pumps, replacing them with electric fuel pumps solved that as well.
I am still flying with my very first proto type motor and still loving it.
Bottom line is yes it is true, we do not have the track record that Rotax has.
They build a very good power plants but many just simply cannot afford them.
You and I are both striving for the same thing,
to provide a more cost effective power plant option for our sport.
We must both do the same thing, do the very best that we can possibly do without exception.
We will do a lot of good for a lot of people, we can turn dreams into realities, now lets just do it.
Racer

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Gerg, with all due respect, your hype is getting way ahead of your testing. Having 21 hours on one prototype is not "proven beyond any reasonable doubt," especially when your real competition has proven over decades that its 2,000-hour TBO is for real.

It's also bad form to exaggerate the setbacks of others at the same time you exaggerate your own achievements.

What you've done is impressive. I am personally excited that someone is finally moving in the direction of making this engine option available as an integrated package. There's no need to be so over-the-top on the self-back-patting. If this does indeed prove reliable, you'll have a waiting list.

Paul:

Thanks for your opinions, they are taken in the spirit in which they were written.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Greg,
Good job on your conversion by the way, looks nice
You, Ron and Paul all have very good points.
I was the reason for the setback on the 3 cylinder version and I take full responsibility for that.
The setback that we had was the clutch.
I did not make a way to perfectly positively align the gearbox input shaft to the motor output shaft. That has now been resolved with a simple alignment ring that I provided to all of my past customers free of charge. Problem fixed.
Ron explained why his exhaust cracked, no need to cover that again.
The only other thing I can think of that caused any kind of issue was the stock vacuum fuel pumps, replacing them with electric fuel pumps solved that as well.
I am still flying with my very first proto type motor and still loving it.
Bottom line is yes it is true, we do not have the track record that Rotax has.
They build a very good power plants but many just simply cannot afford them.
You and I are both striving for the same thing,
to provide a more cost effective power plant option for our sport.
We must both do the same thing, do the very best that we can possibly do without exception.
We will do a lot of good for a lot of people, we can turn dreams into realities, now lets just do it.
Racer

Todd: YOU ARE MY HERO, and you say it best.

BTW: I was thinking about installing a single electric fuel pump as a back up, and using check valves to prevent backflow. You think it is better to just discard the pulse pumps? This engine uses two, each one fuels two carbs, separately. Not sure what the FI systems uses. I was also considering installing a crossover line, so that if one pulse pump failed, or one pickup line got plugged up, the other pump might be able to deliver enough fuel to all four carbs to get back to the airport in a slow cruise.

Last edited:

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
>350
Congrats on your successful engine conversion, I wish you luck. :)
Does the engine adapter fit the 80hp engine also?
Anyhow very nice work, and your conversion looks good and sounds great.

I can't find info on the 4-cycle 2-cylinder Yamaha, what was it used on?

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Aircraft
Dream-like
I can't find info on the 4-cycle 2-cylinder Yamaha, what was it used on?

Greg: From the 2009 Yamaha brochures, showing the sled models, various engines used, and hp ratings. Six photos...Click to enlarge each one.

Attachments

• 2009_engine_ line-up_1.jpg
    2009_engine_ line-up_1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2009_engine_line-up_2.jpg
    2009_engine_line-up_2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Chart_1.jpg
    Chart_1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Chart_2.jpg
    Chart_2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Chart_3.jpg
    Chart_3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Chart_4.jpg
    Chart_4.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha power
Staff member
Aircraft
Dream-like
Three more scans of the Yamaha snowmobile brochure

Three more scans of the Yamaha snowmobile brochure

My post above only allowed six photos/scans, so here are these three additional ones. These have the interesting HP curves that show how well the 120/130/150 engines are suited for our purposes!

Attachments

• 80_&_120_hp_&_oil_savings.jpg
    80_&_120_hp_&_oil_savings.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 130_hp_FI.jpg
    130_hp_FI.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 150_hp.jpg
    150_hp.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 2