XXXXX

My mother's uncle was in the assault... but he would never talk about it, except to say it was just really awful.

It's interesting that Churchill actually opposed the D-day invasion, on the grounds that it would be a bloodbath (which it was). Hitler was being worn down in any event. The sentiment of the time seems to have been "get this over with." Much the same as the thinking that led to dropping nukes on Japan instead of having another conventional D-Day in the Pacific theater.

Since then, we have fought mostly wars of attrition -- just the opposite strategy from WWII. In terms of human suffering in the war zone, it's tough to say which is worse.

From the viewpoint of morale here at home, though, there's little question that our penchant for low-grade, endless brushfire wars has crushed our national spirit. It's not much of a stretch to blame even our most awful domestic problems -- opioids, blind bigoted hatred and mass shootings --
on the "no win" perma-wars in the Middle East, Afghanistan and Vietnam.

My fathers marine unit was one of the first occupational forces in Nagasaki. They entered just one week after the bomb drop. No one left from his unit for many years and he was one of the last. His comment that as hoerrendous as the bomb was; it save millions of lives on both sides.

Doug, opium was being used in the USA long before the Vietnam war and I don't see your direct link to "perma-wars" as the blame for all of society's ills. Pretty sure the KKK and other bigoted hate groups also existed long before the war in Afghanistan.
If your premise were right, then we would ALL be using opiods and shooting each other. The more rational recognize that our leaders generally make the best decisions at the time with the information that they have.
Is war a bad thing? Generally yes, but w/o a war we wouldn't be the USA either. Happy Independence Day.
Brian

Bonjour, Petite vidéo de la cote Normande, ou nos sauveurs ont débarqué. vidéo faite à partir de mon Autogire Magni M 18.
Un séjour sans faille

Last edited: