Xenon/Zen 100 hp

Tweety

hi all,

does anybody of you have any experience with 100 hp version of xenon? If so, what is your engine RPM for let's say cruise speed 100 km/h with two people on board? Thanks a lot for your info.

Welcome to the forum Tweety, the 100hp cruises nicley at 63 knots (116 km/h) at about 5200- 5300rpm burning about 18 lt/hr. That is at 1000 to 2000' AMSL. With about 180 kg of PAX and 40 liters of fuel. Temps around 27 - 30'C.

Like all aircraft, performance is dependent on density altitude, wing loading and payload. I have the 8.6 mt (28ft) Rotors.

For the record I now have 300 trouble free hours on my Xenon in 3 years. And I love it! I have done some long X country flights with comfort and have lots of storage space unlike some of the competition. My biased opinion....

Hello Phil,

thank you for sharing your experience. I hoped that RPM will not be much higher than 5000. Do you think there is enough spare power for immediate climb (in case of strong down draft?). Have you ever experienced any difficulties with take-off? Is 400m (1300ft) runway length enough for configuration you used in your reply (2x90kg + 40l fuel)? I'm afraid of buying RST version, since no machine has flown not even 1000hrs with that engine, but on the other side is 100hp powerful enough for safe flying with 2 people on board?

What is your maximum take off weight on these beautiful birds, with the 100 hp engine?

I have flown all 3 and consider the 100 HP to be under powered for two people. I have over 300 hours in a 914 Xenon and it does a great job. For a real heavy hauler the RST is probably the best option.

Is 100 hp enough?

Is 100 hp enough?

In my case the 100hp 912s works well, I am 68 kg my gyro has the air box + 3hp making a true 100 hp if you believe the sales pitch, and prop spinner.
I climb out 50 knots and see 300 - 400+ feet / min climb rate depending on DA.

I have taken off in 3000'+DA without too much drama. Remember if you are trying to compare performance with a tandem forget it the Zeno had lot more drag so you won't get 4800rpm cruise. I can cruise at 50 knots around 4900 - 5000rpm.

If you have any fears about the RST engine don't worry, they seem to have proven themselves, I think that there is one in oz approaching 1000 hours trouble free. If they were playing up we would have heard about it by now.

Why does everyone want to take off in a 100 meters these aircraft are gyros they take a bit of getting of the ground....they can land short. If you do conservitave take offs to ensure that you don't flap your blades you use a bit more runway. The bonus there is you can reuse the aircraft next time you want to go flying.

Tweety you should be able to take off in 400 mts but it depends - slope, surface, wind, DA, aircraft weight, and Obstructions at the ends.

I tend to be conservative on take off distances, I started flying on a low powered VW years ago and go for safety. The runway behind you..........etc.

Near sea level I climb at over 1000 feet per minute at full gross weight. At 10,000 feet density altitude I can take off in approximately 500 feet with full fuel and passengers at or near gross weight.
The unbelievable power of the Zenon with Rotax Super Turbo RST must be experienced . 1 flight made me a believer. 2 flights made me an owner.

M

Performance of the 912S just so we can see what you have.
Maximum Power*
(5 minutes) 100HP / 73.5KW @ 5800 RPM
Maximum Power (sustained) 95HP / 69.0KW @ 5500 RPM
Maximum Torque 94ft-lb / 128NM @ 5100 RPM
*100HP maximum power when optional air box and tuned exhaust

Near sea level I climb at over 1000 feet per minute at full gross weight. At 10,000 feet density altitude I can take off in approximately 500 feet with full fuel and passengers at or near gross weight.
The unbelievable power of the Zenon with Rotax Super Turbo RST must be experienced . 1 flight made me a believer. 2 flights made me an owner.

M

Mark,

Sure you aren't oxygen deprived? I had no idea you could get 500 ft. Per minute at gross at 10,000. RST wins hands down.

I second what Mark says! I have 65-hours in the RST in Denver and everything he says is true.

Take off weight

Take off weight

NWA, sorry I missed your question on take off wt, my take off weight is usually around 469 kg (1031 lbs) I have taken off up to near 500kg.

I have flown with a 110 kg pax (242lbs) from a 2000' high grass airfield on a 30'C day, & climbed at about 250 fpm with a TOW around 498 kg (1098 lbs). Thermals help a lot as well.:)

FYI - In OZ under our regs the MTOW for a 2 place gyro is 600 kg (1322lbs), I am very happy with the performance of my 100hp gyro. Some others may not have been happy with the climb performance, that could be due to the set up of the machine (hp), the big one -> PAX weight, and rotor size, DA etc.

FYI - In OZ under our regs the MTOW for a 2 place gyro is 600 kg (1322lbs)...

Doesn't the manufacturer have a word to say about MTOW, too? Is the Xenon tested and certified to 600 kg?

Or are you saying that the maximum legal limit of the MTOW is 600 kg and it is whatever is specified in the POH -- but in no case more than 600 kg?

-- Chris.

...Is the Xenon tested and certified to 600 kg?
Hi Chris,

Xenon certainly isn't, ZEN1 certainly is.

The new cabin has been designed for the new European regulations
(at least German, Czech and Polish) of 560kg, but to fulfil the LSA
regulations in the US the cabin, mast, landing gear, engine mount etc.
are being tested for 600 kg.
This will do also for Oz and NZ.

You can see the load tests and drop tests here:

http://www.autogyro.eu/news/stress_tests?lang=en

http://www.autogyro.eu/news/proby_obciazeniowe_2?lang=en

http://www.autogyro.eu/news/proby_obciazeniowe_3?lang=en

Below, ZEN1 hanging by the mast with 2100 kg.

proby03.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, the POH for my model, Xenon R (2007), states the MTOW is 450kg with the 8.4 m (27') rotor. It also states it is also dependent on your countries regs.

The POH states that with the 8.6 m (28') rotor the MTOW is 500kg. The RST MTOW is listed at 525kg.

Our regs state MTOW 600kg for all Gyros, but I would think that the manufactures stated MTOW should take precedence as you stated in your post.

Mine has the 8.8 meter blades. Same blades, engine and prop as the 3 place Xenon.

Hi, A few months ago I posted a thread of WATCH THIS SPACE, with the mention who produced Xenon/Zen1 so I visited the Zen1 factory in Poland to my delight my question was answered, lets start with the Xenon, the talk is this manufacturer did at one time produce this gyro but if you order one now it could take up to two years for it to show its face according to the German Government that ordered two in 2011 but that could be hearsay as they say, Now the Zen1 has and is still being produced by Artur Trendek Avaition in Poland you order one now and you will receive it in two months time in fact I was so impressed with the quality of his Zen1 gyrocopter and the professional way he goes about his business I became the Uk distributer for Zen1 gyrocopters and parts, you can stop looking through the fence now and lets give Artur Trendek Avaition the support he needs.

Welcome Barry - glad to hear the product now has a UK agent.

At the moment there are no Xenons or Zen1 registered in the UK ( in fact I not aware of one even visiting the UK or being exhibited here ) - do you have plans to bring an example to the UK and obtain the necessary UK certs ? I hope so.

Cheers

Steve