XCOM Avionics Info - VHF Aircraft Radio

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
There should be no reason if installed correctly that the radio would not work. ...One of the biggest problems with gyrocopters is the installation, you can have the best radio in the world but it will not work with a crappy aerial, this is the biggest downfall in all gyrocopters..... many people use this aerial in gyrocopters because it does not need a groundplane and in some installations it works okay, if you are only transmitting at 124 MHz it will provide you with great performance.... There is no excuse to install a bad aerial into aircraft, there are so many good choices out there Many thanks Michael
Michael,

What would be most helpful here is a short list of what you consider the "good ones" and what you (as the radio manufacturer) would recommend for a Gyroplane installation (using your radio). I suspect most of us on this forum have a much more limited understanding of antennas than you do, so at the risk of offending some antenna manufacturers that don't make your short list, go ahead and give us some specific recommendations and tell us what makes them work better. Any direction you can give us would be much appreciated and may just drive a bunch of new business your way. :)

Another thing that would be very helpful is a short list of the biggest mistakes you see experimental builders make when installing your radios. It may help some of the rest of us from making the same mistakes and or give us some areas to focus on when installing our radios to make sure the installation is done right.

Thanks for your help,

Doug Barker

Last edited:

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
Again - Hello Michael:
As I stated earlier, I have a Xcom 760 purchased and in hand. I am waiting on Ernie to get back to Florida, so I can purchase a new (never drilled) panel. Then during the colder weather this winter I will be doing an install of the new equipment.
I am going to build and place a foot rest between the front and rear seat.
The foot rest can act as a groundplane if I choose to use a fiberglass coated antenna, or I can build a di-pole and orient it under the rear seat area with one radial in a parallel plane as the main keel and the other radial oriented down and sweeping to the rear. I realize that neither configuration is optimal for the radiation and reception of a signal.
Just trying to get some of your thoughts on what you think might give me the greatest satisfaction.
Here is a picture of my Dominator, this might help to visualize what I am talking about.
Just direguard the Bensen.
Thank You for your input!!!

Attachments

greeny

Aircraft
Gyro DF-02 HB-YPS
Total Flight Time
Where to put the antenna

Where to put the antenna

.. you are best to put the MGL unit as far away from any VHF radio as you can ..
Hi Michael

I have an MGL in my gyro, and sure enough, although all connections are blocked with big ferrite beads, it is still quite a source of RF noise all over the frequency bands.
Yet, in a single seat gyro, the choice where to put the radio antenna is extremely limited. The signal being polarized, it should stand vertically. That leaves us to: top of front pod, upwards; bottom of front pod, downwards; or some place on the rudder / stabilizer. Which improves the distance to radio and avionics but puts it close to the engine.
Do I understand you correctly that you consider the latter the best place to have it installed?

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
I was having radio problems until i made and installed a dipole anenna in the front of my RAF cabin,one antenna is up the windshield post and the other is across the front of the cabin,my reception is simply amazing,and there is no interference of the instruments or any problems transmitted to the instruments.the antenna is almost always the problem with our radios.
Best regards,eddie.....

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE and Air Command Elite
Total Flight Time
Eddie,

There may have been an explanation of the antenna installation you used but I can't find it.

Woud you explained in more detail what you used and how you installed it?

Thanks

500e

Aircraft
500c\d\e 300C & CBi
Total Flight Time
a lot more now
http://www.wallen-antennae.co.uk/images/basegp1.gif
Washer with 3 radials braised \ soldered on to ground connection, best if radials are strait but slight bends work ok. but still spot frequency sensitive
The problem is most antennas work on spot frequency's, when I put the Anritsu Site Master on most aircraft Ae. they are not good across the band some are real dogs.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
TJMAY: for a more information about the dipole antenna go to the avionic/instruments fourm and look up dipole antenna,there you will find how to make them and installation as well.Best regards,eddie.....