X-Plane gyroplane flight simulator project

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Greetings my friends.
PRA is starting a gyroplane X-Plane flight simulator project.
I'm uploading SDK and other tools to PRA website for our community.
I will try and post all the components I find here with links so you can create your own, ask questions and share what we all learn together.
As you wish.

You can download the free demo before you buy to see how it responds running on your computer.
https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/buy-it/
A popup window should appear asking to try the demo.

I'll buy it from them in hopes I can get technical support at least on their forum? $60.

However, found it cheaper here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Plane-11-PC-Steam-Gift-Digital-Region-Free/193359592531?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=225074&meid=4fdf13c7a8f84043b97f59117470b0fd&pid=100623&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=163937914892&itm=193359592531&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Here is a link to download an ELA-07 gyroplane for X-Plane 10, hope it runs on 11.2.

Here is a link to X-planes (SDK) = 'Software Developers Kit', DLL's. You will need to be a programmer or learn programing to use it but it is basically sub-routines (small program/functions) that you can call to access all the data and resources of X-Plane.

PRA is going to create its own stick, rudder pedals, throttle, Prerotator switch, etc as well as put it on a 3 axis platform movement with real stick shake for blade flap experience and how to stop it on the ground.

But 1st will buy off the shelf and get it all working then write instructions and publish it as another PRA Ed kit.

As far as hardware I could use your experience and advice as I'm just starting researching what is available off the shelf for the first version.

Most do not need the (SDK) download who just wants to use off the shelf stick and rudder.
You can download the ELA-7 and X-plane buy a stick and rudder and start flying.

PRA will develop both the off the shelf first and create metadata for different gyroplane models and no SDK is required.
First Ed kit will be mostly a video and instruction on how to use X-Plane and create your own metadata modeling if you want as A PRA Ed kit.

Also, I hope the community will work together and share the models we all create to add to the PRA library.

The end result are to create a gyroplane 3-axis rock and tip-over gyroplane with stick shake flight simulator program to help train and test pilots for the PRA group insurance program and to give to each chapter for training.

An instructor will be able to change the design to fix coupled nose gear which requires soft-field takeoff and landing procedures and put in cross-winds and downdrafts and let them tip-over safety in a virtual world until it's automatic to land in the worse case scenarios.
All emergency procedures including making the stick shake when the instructor slows the blades down on takeoff assuring they flap.
This 2nd 1/2 of the project will be given to two or 3 team of college seniors ME & EE students.
And publish as a PRA Ed kit.

I've written the new PRA Ed Kit project up and submitted it to UCSD Electrical Engineering Capa seniors.
It is to create a gyro specific flight sim with an instructor monitor station allowing the instructor to kill the engine, change the winds, and reduce the rotor blade speed assuring blade flap on takeoff with stick shake bruising their legs.

It will be proof in miniature using servos see picture and videos.
6AxisServo.jpg
This only has 6 degrees of motion.

Next semester I will have SDSU Mechanical Engineering students create this in full scale. It the same but much larger servo motors.
This has 20 degrees of motion.
DofReality6AxisAsIs.jpg

The price for this 6 axis is $3,799 here: https://dofreality.com/#h3

I believe PRA can build it for $1,500 or less which means you will be able to build one too with PRA Ed kit plans and software.

Last edited:
Here is what it looks like setup for a car:
DofReality6AxisSeat.jpg

I think this one for $1299 John would be suitable (Covid 19 sale). https://dofreality.com/ 2 degrees of freedom, pitch and roll, with shaker is off the shelf and well within the PRA's budget and could be assembled in a minimum of time. $for $1950 you could add yaw. It is plug and play. It would just need the software, a stick and rudder pedals, a VR headset, and the buttkicker for shake. probably could be assembled for much less than $3000. This is how I would envision us getting started. Yes you could add another degree of freedom and other extras, but you begin to pay more and more for a smaller and smaller increment of improvement. The training is the end result and you could get effective training on something like this in my opinion. It is more advanced that simulators we used in the military years ago.

Last edited:
Thank you, John.

That is simple and I considered the gimble design.
But they are hard to get in to and have a large footprint to store in your home and ship.

What I envision is the DFO like system but attached to part of a gyro Keel like Kb2, or the Genesis.
It will have a pod and stick like a gyro.

I'm going to let the wiz-kids select the servos. If we buy in quantity and buy at resale that should reduce the cost for our rotorcraft community who wish to build the kit. And PRA may sell these build as there is little liability.

Last edited:
Is this something you envision every club to have, or maybe several regional ones or ? Storage is certainly a factor, as well as accessibility. Having something available at the bigger events would be a draw. What would it/they do in between?

Yeah mon, John.
It goes hand in hand with testing members in our new group insurance savings account each year. These need to be accessible in every state at least.
For each chapter that all of their members join PRA, not a requirement now, PRA will give them a custom gyroplane flight simulator with a CFI console to provide virtual testings and training. Let them tip over in the worse cross-winds and downdrafts in virtual reality until they can land in the worst-case scenario. Then go fly. We need to create more chapters and a free flight simulator and next a free two-place trainer we send following the sun to train folks at 1/2 the cost will increase exposure and I believe safer much larger personal rotorcraft community in the USA.
PRA will advertize both available and for you to call your local chapter or call PRA to set up a chapter.
If I can get the donations PRA can make a major increase in our community and longevity. Without PRA new programs we may not have affordable insurance/training as it is not profitable for CFI's with these insurance high rates and too many tip-over accidents.

We have been warning the CFI's to train more in the heavier, more complex gyros with a hard coupled nose gears, for over 4 YEARS.
But no takers, as proof, 1/2 the Cavalon fleet has tipped-over and now two more insurance companies have canceled and one CFI's rates have doubled.

The solution is more training = Cavalon and all hard coupled nose gears should always use a soft field landing!!! Keep the nose gear up until it falls down with a lack of forwarding movement and no lift left in the blades. A CFI could explain it better but I do know-how in every category aircraft.

Last edited:
PS: Each chapter will have their own and will have them at their fly-in's and I hope they will take them to schools, fairs, fixed wings fly-in's, parades with real gyros and shopping centers on weekends will be part of the agreements with PRA. Marketing, education, training, safety, growth of our sport, all of PRA missions in one.

Also, the last step is to buy the FAA-certified version of X-Plane and get our PraSimulator certified and chapters can log the time as the big boys do when a CFI is instructing.

Please support the NEW PRA, only with the communities help can we make a real difference.

PRA also hopes we can break even on giving these DOF Reality Sim's away as raffle prizes. That will help train our community individually and they may share it with their chapters or better start a chapter using it as the main attraction at first.

Good day All.
We also support the idea of having a flight simulator. In our opinion this is a cost effective way to start learning and share experience and knowledge. We have started off with a Wagtail Trojan fuselage which we have fixed mounted, as a procedural trainer. We are three instructors and the idea with the procedures and work flow is to ensure that each learner does the same flight deck procedure every time. The physical controls is integrated to X-Plane via Arduino and Teensy. This includes ascending, engaging the brakes before start-up, throttle position, etc. The idea is then to grow the station into a full motion capable system. We are getting involved in commercial work and the intention is to fly a specific mission on the flightsim before the sortie is carried out. The sortie can also be downloaded and debriefed after the lesson.
1611228714822.png
We are also busy working on a few other ideas including Virtual Reality.
Safe flying
Braam
www.wagtail.co.za