wunderlich prerotator

hawhi

hi all

I assemble a wunderlich prerotator on my gyrobee
I have a rotor hade from starbee ,my blade need to turn counter clockwise. pilot seat view
but the prerotator is turning the rotor blade the opposite why.
is it possible to change the situation?
bay changing part of the prerotator?
thanks !!

(in my order I give all the detail engine turn? blade turn!)
I will post a pic" soon

Hi Hawhi

Have you had any dialogue with the manufacturer - what do they say ?

Are Starbee , Gyrobee and Honeybee all the same company ?

Hi you need to seek out Tom Milton, of Calumett air, He has everything you need to reverse the direction of wunderlich prerotator

Ilan,
I found you.

Need to know make of rotors, engine and redrive for a start.

Most rotors turn right to left sitting in the seat (CW).

Andy, Thank you !

hi Tom
the blade :dragon wing 21"
ROTAX 503
gear box :B
the bendix turning the head in the right direction but the bendix don't stay up he return down, after contact
if I turn the bendix the another direction he screwed up & stay up
(but it not the right direction)
thank a lot!!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 12
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 11
Alan is correct. If you had a rotorbrake, you could engage it and the Bendix will stay engaged. It's a safety feature. We have the Bendix manufactured for us without the lock that normally keeps the Bendix engaged.

Steve UK: To answer your question in Post #2: No, they're not the same.

The Gyrobee was a set of "freeware" plans posted for all to use by Ralph Taggart. A couple people over the years have made kits for this version available. Starbee Gyro still does.

The Honeybee was an offshoot of the Gyrobee developed by Jim Fields, with some cooperation by Ralph. The Honeybee II is also Jim's, but does not closely resemble the Gyrobee.

The Hornet is another variant of the Gyrobee.

All the "Bees" are based on the late Martin Hollman's Bumblebee, an early '80's utralight gyro design.

hi Tom
the blade :dragon wing 21"
ROTAX 503
gear box :B
the bendix turning the head in the right direction but the bendix don't stay up he return down, after contact
if I turn the Bendix the another direction he screwed up & stay up
(but it not the right direction)
thank a lot!!

Hawai

When I got my Air Command, I tried the prerotator with blades off. It did not matter what RPM I was at when I activated it. The Bendix popped up and spun the rotor head momentarily then dropped back down. It made no difference what I did this happened every time.

I never asked about this on the forum. I assumed it was because there was no load on the rotor head with no rotors on.

Is this what you are experiencing?

I don't know if I am right on this or not as my prerotator was a mess just like the rest of my gyro. I have never had the rotors on and am in the process of rehabbing or replacing my prerotator.

Mark

Last edited:
A bendix type pre rotator needs to have a load on the ring to stay engaged. Try "braking" the ring gear with a stick rubbing on it side (not your hands!) and you'll see the bendix stay engaged until you release friction from the ring gear.
Good luck.