Wrens GA Fly-in IS... yes IS... happening in 2020. Sep 18 and 19

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+
2020 has been a strange year, and there have been plenty of cancellations of all kinds of events.

However, the Wrens GA Fly-in IS going to happen this year.

A few more details here:

Peach State Rotorcraft has been coordinating with EAA Chapter 172 (who hosts this event) and although 'advertising' has been pretty much nonexistent, the event is ON and folks are planning to be there... some with aircraft

At present, we have a group of 3 who are planning to Fly-in from Cedartown (weather dependent) likely on Friday. 2 gyros and 1 fixed-wing.

And, at the moment, we have at least 5 other folks who are planning to drive-in for one or two days.

Vendor Tango Gyro will also be there with their wares on display for the public.

If you are thinking of dropping by, please post a note here, or call or PM me.

Yes, it is short notice, but that is par for the course in 2020. So, if you don't have other obligations, come on by and see us and take the edge of of that cabin fever!!

Mark

As soon as you post a picture PRA will batch email your text and will link them to your webpage above and we will let everyone know, it's a party!

I stopped going and I'm just right down the road. Nobody ever talks to me when I go so what's the point.

Maybe more public out reach and ambassadorship? Just sayin'.... say hi to the non-gyro people you don't recognize that show up. Offer them a hotdog or something. Talk about your gyro to someone who's not also a Gyro pilot.

In the end I would just go on the chance they opened the hanger to look at the Nieuport 11 covered in dust and with a flat tire back in the corner built by one of the local guys.

One year one of the Gyro guys flew in an Apache or something that was uncharacteristically out of place for Wrens and I took some pics. That was probably as interesting as it will ever get. Wrens has never exactly been hopping.

One year someone brought a static model flying toilet gyro, that was kind of cute.

choppergirl.air-war.org

fpv.air-war.org

UAV Flywoo 7" quad copter pilot, Volmer Jensen Vj-24w motorglider, Poorboy Ultralight, & Chotia Woodhopper

Last edited:
I stopped going and I'm just right down the road. Nobody ever talks to me when I go so what's the point.

Maybe more public out reach and ambassadorship? Just sayin'.... say hi to the non-gyro people you don't recognize that show up. Offer them a hotdog or something. Talk about your gyro to someone who's not also a Gyro pilot.

In the end I would just go on the chance they opened the hanger to look at the Nieuport 11 covered in dust and with a flat tire back in the corner built by one of the local guys.

One year one of the Gyro guys flew in an Apache or something that was uncharacteristically out of place for Wrens and I took some pics. That was probably as interesting as it will ever get. Wrens has never exactly been hopping.

One year someone brought a static model flying toilet gyro, that was kind of cute.

choppergirl.air-war.org

fpv.air-war.org

UAV Flywoo 7" quad copter pilot, Volmer Jensen Vj-24w motorglider, Poorboy Ultralight, & Chotia Woodhopper
I encourage you to try again. I've heard nothing but how friendly and helpful they are answering questions.
Try walking up to them and asking questions.
Fly-ins the ones who could be ambassadors are usually the ones running it so distracted can't notice newbies.
I've heard this complaint at all PRA fly-ins but there is no person free to look for new/old people. But ask a question even their name and where they are from I'll bet they are friendly and then you will have new friends next time that know you.

I have to walk up and start talking to them and I know them and surprisingly many know of me when I don't know them. But I have to initiate the conversation.

Last edited:
Did the recent rains from Sally affect the plans for this weekend? It appears that Wrens was right in the path of the heavy rain.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for asking. Slowly but surely all the folks who told me they were going have thrown in the towel and I heard from the last person a little while ago. So, from the perspective of Peach State Rotorcraft... and also from VP of EAA 172... WRENS 2020 IS CONSIDERED A WASH-OUT/CANCELLED.

So, if you were thinking about going, please consider your weekend freed-up for other pursuits and definitely set your sights on Barry's always awesome Fall Wing Ding in NC, in October: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/barnstormers-fall-2020.1145638/

Mark

Choppergirl "Nobody ever talks to me when I go so what's the point" Prior to going to the KBFF in 2009 everywhere I went where there was a group of ultralight pilots they seemed to take you in and treat you like family even if you did not have a machine. At the KBFF they were happy to sell you a T shirt or coffee mug but engage in conversation not much. Oh if you had a specific question they would answer it but it just seemed they were not really interested in talking to you if you were not a member of Chapter 1. I even noticed one guy who had a nice looking dominator who was from Phoenix and parked up at the end of the line seemed to be ignored. I got there Friday but left early Sunday about an hour before Mike S. wiped out on a motorcycle. The experience just wasn't that enjoyable and I had driven from New Mexico to attend. There was one member of Chapter 1 that was friendly though. Marion Springer and I had a chance to talk to her about her book (which I had) and flying gyros. But her family members did not want her to talk too long and become tired and I respected that. So I wonder if the old Bensen/Ken Brock crowd dead and gone. I met Ken at Marysville once and he was eager to talk about his gyro and experiences. It seems now a days if you don't have one of the new factory jobs from Europe you have been left behind in the gyro world of this forum. I haven't felt the need to attend any gyro events since and haven't taken my plans built KB2 out in several years. Or maybe I am just getting too old.

Maybe more public out reach and ambassadorship? Just sayin'.... say hi to the non-gyro people you don't recognize that show up. Offer them a hotdog or something. Talk about your gyro to someone who's not also a Gyro pilot...

choppergirl.air-war.org

fpv.air-war.org

Hey ChopperGirl,

I hate to hear anyone felt that way after Wrens or any event that Peach State and other gyro folks attend in force. I do personally try to address anyone who I see looking close at our gyros, and I know others do to too.

But, like All_In said, a lot of folks do fall through the cracks, especially on busy events (some years).

One thing is for sure... we love to talk about our gyros, so all it takes is a question or two and we may talk your ear off, so All_In was right on target with that as well.

Matter of fact, you can read my first post from my very first Wrens in 2008. I officially started my gyro journey after I approached Ultracruiser41 upon landing. He barely got his helmet unbuckled before I started asking him a billion questions. https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads...ormerly-known-at-roc.18314/page-7#post-395508

By the way, I enjoyed reading about the aviation projects on your website. Very exciting that you are chasing your flying dream so aggressively. I hope you will consider coming back some year (when there is not a hurricane wash-out) with one of those in tow. Then it will be you answering OUR questions! :) We love aviation projects!

If you do attend another Wrens. Ask for me (Mark from Peach State), or ask for Barry from Barnstormers, and we'll do what we can to get you a gyro ride. I bet it will put a perma-grin on your face, almost guaranteed! (regardless of what you say on your website.)

Hope to see you there some year.

Mark

Its always been something people complain about.... how they showed up to a fly in and didn't feel like they got a warm welcome.

You have to understand that these fly -ins are a way for people who are already " in the group " can spend a few days hanging out, flying, and being social together. Most of us are not neighbors, many times back at home we are the only gyro person around, so meeting up at Bensen days, or Wrens, or Barnstormers, Mentone, El mirage, etc.... is a chance for us to be around others like us for a few days and have a good time.

Strangers are welcome though. We were all strangers at one point ourselves.

But one thing about this sport, is it attracts a lot of wack job type people, and dreamers, and talkers.... Personally speaking for myself, but I am sure many others feel the same way, I really don't want to spend too much time talking to a wacky person who almost certainly won't be showing up at a future event with a actual flying machine. I don't mind talking to anyone for a few minutes, and if the person has the right attitude we can talk for hours, but I feel like I wasted a lot of time over the years at events talking to people who you never see again.

If you want to attend one of these events and get " in the group ".... then just persist and go out of YOUR way to start conversations, be observant of whats going on, maybe ask if you can get a flight in a gyro, etc... It is on YOU to break the ice and get a conversation going.

We say these events are to attract new people to the sport and they do... but really we do it for ourselves so we can hang out with each other for a few days and have some fun.

Yeah Ron and some of us just go home and play with ...... our toys. And thanks Ron you just made my point.

Attachments

• july 3 2007 001.JPG
    july 3 2007 001.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 2nd try 001.JPG
    2nd try 001.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I heard that Wrens has been Cancelled due the the hurricane.
Yes, it was canceled. However the good news there is another one in the area.

Carolina BarnStormers 2020 Fall Extravaganza!
October 22-25, 2020
Anson County Airport KAFP
Wadesboro, NC​

choppergirl.air-war.org

fpv.air-war.org

As a founding member of the Carolina Barnstormers I here by officially invite you to our fall wing ding. October 22-25 I believe. Barry, aka Ultracruiser puts on a hell of a good show, food, fun, flying possibly a T shirt or some goody bag items ... depends...! everyone leaves happy or you don't leave !! We even have our own short bus that takes everyone to dinner in the evening..!!! KAFP, Anson County NC. Friday / Saturday usually the busy days...

Carolina BarnStormers 2020 Fall Extravaganza!
October 22-25, 2020
Anson County Airport KAFP
Wadesboro, NC

Last edited:
As a founding member of the Carolina Barnstormers I here by officially invite you to our fall wing ding. October 22-23 I believe. Barry, aka Ultracruiser puts on a hell of a good show, food, fun, flying possibly a T shirt or some goody bag items ... depends...! everyone leaves happy or you don't leave !! We even have our own short bus that takes everyone to dinner in the evening..!!! KAFP, Anson County NC.
Now that is what PRA has heard from all who called back to thank us for telling them about it. It's a party, it's a party, it's a party if you let it be. Be brave, step up ask questions or just introduce yourself and make the party happen it requires your participation by stepping up to have a good time.

Last edited: