WRENS GA Fly-in 2022 - Fri, Sep 30 & Sat, Oct 1

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
300+
It's official folks... EAA 172 has committed to hold the annual Wrens (GA) Fly-in this year on Friday, September 30 and Saturday, October 1st.

Wrens Airport - 65J

Leading up to last year's event no one was sure what would happen given a couple of recent hurricane wash-outs and a change in airport management... But the 2021 event turned out to be a great time nonetheless!

More details on the 2021 event:
https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/make-wrens-great-again-wrens-ga-fly-in-2021-oct-1-2.1146467/

In 2021, due to recent hurricane challenges, the event was moved from it's previous mid-September slot back to early October. Although there were not a ton of gyros in attendance like in some previous years, the weather was great and we had a blast with over 30 or 40 or so gyro-folks in attendance!

Wrens 2022 is going to repeat that same early October slot and is already on the calendars of many Peachstate Rotorcraft and Carolina Barnstormers club members!

Drop a note here if you are planning to attend or if you have questions.

In the meantime, please enjoy some pix from last year...

Mark

20211002_134445.jpg20211002_131546.jpg20211001_190632.jpg20211001_101043.jpg
L

Last edited:
I’m planning on attending- new gyro owner so this will be my first- is this a camping event? What does the event normally entail? Thanks Dan

Great Dan. Looking forward to meeting you!! Hope you will bring your gyro!

Yes, on camping. There are elec and water hook-ups available. RVs and Tents have been common over the years. The FBO has restrooms and a shower for campers as well. Renovations were underway last year, and expected to be done once the event starts this year.

While we are on the topic of accommodations, many folks agree that the Western Motel (706) 547-3021 is the best motel choice if you decide not to camp. The motel is essentially at the end of the runway along with a Huddle House and an Ingles.

Mark

Yes I’ve got a Magni M24 on order which I hope to be flying in the next couple of weeks so looking forward to flying that in. I fly out of Canton Ga and I’m looking forward to connecting with some other fellow gyro folks.

Fantastic! (y)🚁 It will be great to see a Magni back in the lineup!

I am going to reserve this spot in the thread for a potential attendee list.

May or may not fill it in if time allows.

M

Looking forward to Wren's , always a fun time !

Hi Red! Looking forward to seeing you there. Very cool rig. Don't think I have seen a gyro setup like that before!!

Mark

Hi Dan0756, you previously asked: "...What does the event normally entail?"

Well, this is an existing EAA (172) general aviation Fly-in which has gone for many years that just happens to be a good central spot for the gyro groups Peach State Rotorcraft (from Georgia) and Carolina Barnstormers (from the Carolinas) to meet up once a year in the Fall and look for gyro folks from all over to join in on the fun. We usually see folks from Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama, but sometimes get folks from states like Massachusetts, Michigan, Louisiana, etc. etc. etc.

So, the event is often heavy on gyros... sometimes up to 30 or so... but also we typically see a good many other aircraft types like fixed-wings, trikes, powered-parachutes, helicopters, etc. So, it is often very well rounded with lots of different aircraft. See some previous year event VIDEOS in last year's post linked above. 2015 and 2016 were particularly active years.

There are typically dozens of gyro owners there, some with their gyros, and many are there, gyro-less, just to enjoy the fun. We also see a lot of 'gyro-dreamers' and a lot of local-ish folks just curious about those flying lawn-chair contraptions. Sometimes over 200 folks milling around on Saturday.

For the gyro folks it is a low key... laid back... drama free(!)... place to:
  • Fly in an area that is just awesome, littered with wide open fields and great Eastern Georgia vistas!!!
  • Meet old gyro friends and make new ones.
  • Share the wonderful world of gyro flight with folks who are interested or curious.
  • Have our gyros checked-over by multiple sets of eyes to help find any concerns that we may have missed.
  • The above item often happens spontaneously, but is quickly obliged when asked for.
  • Share tons of gyro, aviation, and flying tips-and-tricks.
  • Share untold amounts of gyro-talk and shootin'-the-breeze.
  • Plot and plan the next events and projects and new cool fun stuff!
  • Find or give gyro rides. (not guaranteed, but often happens)
  • Meet gyro instructors who are there to either discuss instruction and/or actually give instruction on-site.
  • Meet gyro vendors who are usually there to interact with potential buyers.
  • Get an event T-shirt if we can get one made up.
  • Sometimes get a gyro club T-Shirt if we bring those along.
  • Attend a Saturday awards ceremony if one materializes. (they often do... like I said, this is a low key, low stress event.)
  • On Saturday, the EAA 172 folks have a cookout with burgers, dogs, etc., and such, for a nominal donation. (see pic above)
  • Sometimes folks show up as early as Wednesday or Thursday these days.
  • Last but not least, variably sized groups of gyro-heads often head-out to a small but unique assortment of Wrens local restaurants for breakfasts and dinners for eatin' and more gyro-talk... plotting and planning... and shootin' tha breeze! ...The Mexican restaurant has good margaritas! jus' sayin!

I probably missed something, but that is the gist of it... Just a dang good time for gyro and aviation-minded folks!!! :D(y)

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Dan0756, you previously asked: "...What does the event normally entail?"

Well, this is an existing EAA (172) general aviation Fly-in which has gone for many years that just happens to be a good central spot for the gyro groups Peach State Rotorcraft (from Georgia) and Carolina Barnstormers (from the Carolinas) to meet up once a year in the Fall and look for gyro folks from all over to join in on the fun. We usually see folks from Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama, but sometimes get folks from states like Massachusetts, Michigan, Louisiana, etc. etc. etc.

So, the event is often heavy on gyros... sometimes up to 30 or so... but also we typically see a good many other aircraft types like fixed-wings, trikes, powered-parachutes, helicopters, etc. So, it is often very well rounded with lots of different aircraft. See some previous year event VIDEOS in last year's post linked above. 2015 and 2016 were particularly active years.

There are typically dozens of gyro owners there, some with their gyros, and many are there, gyro-less, just to enjoy the fun. We also see a lot of 'gyro-dreamers' and a lot of local-ish folks just curious about those flying lawn-chair contraptions. Sometimes over 200 folks milling around on Saturday.

For the gyro folks it is a low key... laid back... drama free(!)... place to:
  • Fly in an area that is just awesome, littered with wide open fields and great Eastern Georgia vistas!!!
  • Meet old gyro friends and make new ones.
  • Share the wonderful world of gyro flight with folks who are interested or curious.
  • Have our gyros checked-over by multiple sets of eyes to help find any concerns that we may have missed.
  • The above item often happens spontaneously, but is quickly obliged when asked for.
  • Share tons of gyro, aviation, and flying tips-and-tricks.
  • Share untold amounts of gyro-talk and shootin'-the-breeze.
  • Plot and plan the next events and projects and new cool fun stuff!
  • Find or give gyro rides. (not guaranteed, but often happens)
  • Meet gyro instructors who are there to either discuss instruction and/or actually give instruction on-site.
  • Meet gyro vendors who are usually there to interact with potential buyers.
  • Get an event T-shirt if we can get one made up.
  • Sometimes get a gyro club T-Shirt if we bring those along.
  • Attend a Saturday awards ceremony if one materializes. (they often do... like I said, this is a low key, low stress event.)
  • On Saturday, the EAA 172 folks have a cookout with burgers, dogs, etc., and such, for a nominal donation. (see pic above)
  • Sometimes folks show up as early as Wednesday or Thursday these days.
  • Last but not least, variably sized groups of gyro-heads often head-out to a small but unique assortment of Wrens local restaurants for breakfasts and dinners for eatin' and more gyro-talk... plotting and planning... and shootin' tha breeze! ...The Mexican restaurant has good margaritas! jus' sayin!

I probably missed something, but that is the gist of it... Just a dang good time for gyro and aviation-minded folks!!! :D(y)

Mark
Mark:

Can I add this great description to the PRA upcoming events page? Wish I could make it!

Bobby

Mark:

Can I add this great description to the PRA upcoming events page? Wish I could make it!

Bobby
Hi Bobby,

Absolutely! Please do!

Mark

Hey folks, I got a call last week from @Phil_Ruffin who always makes our event T-Shirts (when we have one) and he is currently planning to print some up and bring them.

He'd love to have a head count for how many to make so please chime-in if you'd think you would like to have an event T-Shirt.

Maybe Phil will chime-in as well to give more detail or let us know what he cooks up for the design.

Below is a SAMPLE of the 2018 shirt (the last one that materialized due to hurricanes and such). Love this shirt!! Simple... striking colors... and to the point! If Phil can find any of these left-over he will bring them and sell at a discount!

Mark20220826_170424.jpg

Looks like Herra or Himma Cane Fiona may be dissipated by the Event time .I HOPE !.....whats the deal on tent camping ? Is there a charge ?