Would you let a Navy pilot fly?

Bumperdog

Aircraft
KB3
Total Flight Time
200 +
My neighbors brother and his wife and son, a Navy pilot, were staying with the neighbor. I taxied my gyro up my driveway on my way to my air strip and I saw them all watching. I did what I always do and I flew away for about 20 minuets. When I landed the pilot came over to talk about this crazy thing I was flying, you know you all have been there and done that.
He wanted to know all about how it worked and how to get it airborne, how to land. In a few days I flew again and when I landed he wanted me to let him fly and I said I didn't think that was a good idea because he had no Gyro training. He said he flies off an aircraft carrier in a jet and he could easily handle my gyro. I asked him how he takes off and lands on a ship and after a long explanation and a lot of questions I asked him if I could go back to base with him and take his jet for a ride. He never came around again.
www.sunvalleykennel.net

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
I said I didn't think that was a good idea because he had no Gyro training. He said he flies off an aircraft carrier in a jet and he could easily handle my gyro.
No "good" pilot IMHO should EVER say they can fly a new Cat/Class without at least some training.

That statement has been the last words of more than one gyro fatality.

You did the right thing.

Dave B

Aircraft
Cherokee 160, Challenger II, P-5151 Mustang (building), Mitchell U-2 (covering), Pitbull Gyro (rebui
Total Flight Time
3800+- PIC. 7k+ Total
NO!!

As a chopper jock (military) we often got a chance to take the jet jocks for the ride of their lives, and always had them want to get up front.

Tho the actual 'flying' is similiar, the playing in the trees, and hovering is not.

Their 'Deck' might be 200ft AGL, but ours was always scrubbing the dirt, or green on top of the blades. :eek:

Dave

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,JetGyro,Titan T51,TwinStar, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Didn't a Navy guy crack up Kenny J's J-2 a few years back?

GyroCFI

Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
yeah

yeah

That's the story I got from Kenny too... that a navy pilot who though he could handle it after only some short lessons got behind the power curve and crashed it. He sent me a picture of the wreck and it truly saddened me as I spent a lot of time and money restoring that ship.

Oh well... thinning of the herd I guess...

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,JetGyro,Titan T51,TwinStar, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
I was there right after Kenny's gyro crashed and hauled the trailer over to pick up the pieces.

We were standing there looking at it and the guy who owns the farm said, "Well, I got a bobcat over there.....I could just scoop it up and drop it on the trailer".

Wasn't a whole lot left of it......surprised the Navy guy got out OK.

Shame.....that was a nice machine!

Last edited:

GYRO J

Aircraft
BENSEN ,BROCK
Total Flight Time
?
Yes you did good a gyro can be destroyed by someone who just wants to taxi it

phantom

would you let a navy pilot fly your gyro

would you let a navy pilot fly your gyro

if all the gyros that were wrecked by pilots that thought they could fly them because they had experience in real airplanes was put in one pile it would probabelly take all day to walk around it, there would be a smaller pile that was caused be people who while teaching them selves to fly took advise from fixwing pilots. I saw that happen to a man who got into gyros a few years after I did and he was doing quite well with crow hops until he was told by a high time bush pilot that it would be better to take it up where he had some room to recover if he made a mistake, he was lucky he didn't get very high, on his first climb out he got behind the power curve and rolled it into a ball but was able to walk away but wanted nothing more to do with gyros. He later died of cancer without ever knowing the true freedom of flight that only a gyro can provide.

okikuma

Hi Bumperdog,

Your story had me ROTFL!

Every so often even a hairy chested, ego the size of a 15 megaton nuke, Navy Fighter Jet Jock needs a healthy dose of humility. You did and said the right thing!

There are volumes of stories of fighter jocks thinking they can fly anything and soon after getting into trouble. Sometimes, all that gets hurt is their back account and ego. Often times, it's their life or career that suffers.

By the way, our fighter jocks do need to be hairy chested with an inflated ego so they can easily fight and fly in harms way against all kinds of adversaries to keep all of us safe and free.

Wayne