Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
today I took the compression on the Continental A65

#4 92

#3 90

#2 91

#1 82

This is not perfect but is very good for a engine that has not ran in over a year.

I will Run the engine some time in the next free week and keep you posted

on compression result on a warm engine.

I tested the dual magneto spark system and they work perfectly.

The Impulse one with 9 volt batterie fires at it's 0 tdc

and the right mag fires at it's 20 btdc so we got all this working

so I will drain the old gas clean tank and re fuel it with 93 octane and fire it up.

Drain Fuel tank clean with brake cleaner and a brush on a stick.
clean fuel/Gas filter with brake cleaner and a brush.
Gap and anti-size pugs.
fill with new 93 octane fuel well 1 1/2 gallon
open fuel valve get primer primed and gave it 3 shoots
and turn the prop with all my might after over one hour of
trying I gave up and all I got was 2 puffs and a burp.
I have compression and spark so if it won't start then it's ether
I'm not strong enough to turn prop fast enough or something wrong with the carb.

any opinion?

I have no experience with the A65. My other experience with Continentals has been to prime the heck out of them. If flooding is suspected, open the throttle full and crank again. Obviously, with a hand prop, you should have a competent individual at the controls. --Lots of older videos of hand propped planes that get away from the fellow doing the propping by him self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTM-paAXCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWzc7MSrFUs

If the impulse coupling is working you don't need to spin it fast, I have started larger six cylinder condental engines in Cessna 180 by getting it almost to the firing position and giving it one last little push and it will start, the A 65 is very easy to start normally, l remember seeing august Carlow start it in three pulls from cold and on the first pull after that, these engines require more prime than many are use to giving, my Subaru needs less than half the prime that my A 65 did.
norm

My impulse work I tested all that last week,
I have a different type of impulse it needs a 9 volt battery to work
and it works fine tested all that.

I had my Gyro tied my owned telephone pole and someone at the controls.

It sounds like your carb needs a good cleaning.
And don't use brake cleaner. get yourself a can of carb cleaner and some tip cleaners like for cleaning out a welding /cutting torch. Gently poke them into every hole you can find and flush it out with carb cleaner.
I also use Sea Foam on fuel systems after I clean them. It'll dissolve any remaining varnish in the system.

<--- Old Mechanic Carb clearner is the best.
I have Everything needed to do the carb.

I never used seafoam but i was told a few times it was good My go too is Gunk Carb Cleaner.

Thanks for your Support I so did not want it to be the carb LOL

Is the impulse magneto a shower of sparks Bendix unit?

Is the carburetor a Stromberg NAS series?

With the engine over primed fuel will run to the ground. To un prime; switch off and with throttle wide open pull the propeller backwards at least six revolutions. Reset throttle to idle and switch on.