Wooohoooo! Soloed the soma!

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
WHOO HOOO! Well I just got back from Macon, went down late this afternoon to fly the Soma, I was just going to do some crow hopping and get used to it, Well I ended up flying it around for better than 30 min, I was getting cold. But I was having Too Much Fun! It was a little windy, but it was blowing right down the runway, and steady, Fly's great! Those Dragon wing blades are awsome, incredibly smooth, the thing climbs like a monkey, I was able to bring the rpm's back to about 5000 and still maintain good level flight at 60 mph.

I went down with a friend from work, and I picked up Phil Ruffin on the way, Dan Leslie met us out there, and he flew for a little while too.
I was worried I would have forgotten alot, but I could still hear Steve's voice, "power, pedal, balance, don't look at the ground, power, balance"
SWEEET!
Man I am so happy! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congrats Scott!!!!!!!! Sounds like a great gyro!!!!!!

Alright!!! :) :) :)

How was the pump stick for ya? How did you like the stability? Seemed to need a good bit of rudder at slower speeds but was pretty solid otherwise, but it has been a while since I flew it.

The pump stick was a non-issue, flew very sweet, nice and stable, no nose-up pitching like the old kb-3, just all around NICE, might fit it for a trim tab, But no complaints, The engine purred, all temps were right in range, no stick shake, and nice soft landings. everything went very smooth. I am a happy camper now, Now to get Phil back up in the air......Then John Stevens.

Man ... I am happy for you! You got a rare bird there, try to keep this one in one piece. Just kidding!

Great News Scott. It sounds like you've found a great machine there. I'm sure you've got a fantastic summer ahead of you!

Screw-Out

Chris aint kiddin :D

I am so glad everything went so well. Scott was as giddy as I've ever heard him over the phone. For the first time, I wasn't able to get a word in edgewise. I can't think of anyone who diserves a break more.

Good on you Scott. I am so excited for you.

Screw-Out

Scott, next project is to fill in the holes on the runway and make it smoother.

Ron you are right about the runway maintenance, The only problem is that I have been trying to get ahold of the property owner about repairs. I don't mind doing them, but I don't think I should have to be the one to pay, if it is comunity property out here, But I will see what I can do, and save receipts, if nesesary.
I did take the tractor out the other day and ran over all the ant hills I could find.

Looks like rain today, But I will put the blades back on the soma, so it will be ready when the weather is nice this week.

It is hard for me to explain. Basically the stick goes to a universal joint under the seat and then goes on to become a fork behind the U joint, and the control tubes go from the fork to the rotorhead.

Maybe someone can post a pair of good pictures of a pump stick and how it works. Also a normal stick to compare it to....

Try again. Last two pics show for and aft attachment points ...stick to pivot.
We now have a long bolt carry through the attachment encased in a alum tube.
Cheers.
Mitch.

Attachments

• Cnv0007.jpg
    Cnv0007.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Cnv0018.jpg
    Cnv0018.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAGE011[1].JPG
    IMAGE011[1].JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Cnv0055.jpg
    Cnv0055.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 4
  • Cnv0056.jpg
    Cnv0056.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4
Great photos and nice looking parts, Mr. Mitchell. Do you happen to have any photos that show a side view of the cyclic assembly in 1 shot? The close-ups of the hinge points are nice, but without seeing the control yoke in relation its difficult to get a visualization. I visited the Butterfly site which has been moved here. Nice money-shots but couldn't really perceive much detail from the highly JPEG compressed images.

Thanks,
Brian Jackson

Mr Mitchell.

Mr Mitchell.

G'Day Brian,
I prefer Mitch and Mr Mitchell...well, that would be my Dad. :eek: :D Truth is I'm already a Grandfather. :confused: :cool: :D I see your approaching the Big 40...Mr Jackson. :eek: :p All in good fun....taking the 'mikey' that is, not turnin 40, that's no fun at all. Guess that's why we 40 plus mob are into gyro's. :cool:
This pic should give you more idea. Let me know I can take some pics tomorrow of my Butterfly if you like.
Scott, I have a few pics of Soma gyro, nice Mate. Happy Days, Fly Safe.
Mitch.

Attachments

• Monarchcontrol.jpg
    Monarchcontrol.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 8