Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
$500 bucks.
Yeah right!
He needs to donate them to the Archimedes Museum!

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
They should be in a museum. If I didn't already have so many projects, I would get them just to make sure they are preserved.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Wouldn't they just make a nifty ceiling fan for a large hangar???

I have a set of wooden rotors and they are way cool to look at, but I sure wouldn't be comfortable trying to fly under them

Monarchist

MTO Sport Owner
Aircraft
MTO Sport, R22/R44, Cirrus SR22-G3 Turbo, Bonanza B35-N (dead engine), Aurora Butterfly
Total Flight Time
I flew under wooden rotors on a Bell 47...and if I'm not mistaken, even a Huey pilot I know flies wooden rotors. The pilots I've talked to swear by them.

But for my own ship, I can't imagine flying wood.

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
I flew under wooden rotors on a Bell 47...and if I'm not mistaken, even a Huey pilot I know flies wooden rotors. The pilots I've talked to swear by them.

But for my own ship, I can't imagine flying wood.

Pound for Pound wood is stronger than steel. Many famous airplanes were made of wood and cloth. Wood is more resilient.

GyroGeorge

Speaking about wood blades on eBay.

Speaking about wood blades on eBay.

Does anyone have a set of plans for wood blade construction they would let a new guy have for cheap?

Trackwelder

I would be interested also, the cost of the aluminum blades is about the same price as the price of wings, I have been interested in flying Gyros, but there isn't much savings that I can find. If I want to learn to fly a Gyro I would have to build either an ultralight and teach myself, or build a 2 place and use an instructor I have found. Personally I prefer the instructor, but nobody around me has a 2 place for instructing in.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Two place instructor

Two place instructor

Personally I prefer the instructor, but nobody around me has a 2 place for instructing in.

You are "near" an instructor with a two place gyro...a enclosed tandem one, a Calidus. He is located in Galena, IL, 240 miles east of Lake City. Name is Chris Lord. Most gyro folk have to travel that distance or much more to find a gyro cfi to train with.

One of our local PRA chapter members (we are in the Portland, OR, area) went there for additional instruction, after travelling over 700 miles to attend Rotors Over The Rockies at Brigham City, UT for his initial gyro instruction. And, this wasn't a guy new to flying. He already held a PPL in airplanes, and had helicopter instruction previously.

I travelled about 2,000 miles twice to finish up my training/gyro license in Arkansas. How hungry are you?

Last edited:

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
TWO (or more) travelling CFI's ....

TWO (or more) travelling CFI's ....

We have TWO(at least) Gyro CFI's who advertise they will "travel-to-train" Chris Lord (Calidus) Desmon Butts ( when he's back in full CFI action) & Craig Mcpherson (MTO's).
Any of them can train for sport pilot add-ons ... if you need to have PPR-G to fly a "heavy" .... or have ambitions to go on to become instructor etc ... you'll need to choose the one that is Full CFI rated!

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
I was going to repost these on our Mohawk Aero Craft website as a curiosity item. I kinda liked the idea of having them in an ad, along with another set of three I saw there for a helicopter. One of the gyros I have re-posted in there is possibly sold. I found out yesterday, it's the guy selling a machine with a set of Skywheels and other stuff in VA for $5k.

I gotta get Jon to help me install a hit counter on the site...

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Does anyone have a set of plans for wood blade construction they would let a new guy have for cheap?

Hey, I am in the business now of looking up stuff and relisting it on the Mohawk site for people like you who are look look looking.

I'll keep my eye out and let you know. I think I found a set of blade plans included with a Bensen info pkg the other day.

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.