Winter mods of my KB-2

The black 1/2" impac wrench u joint swivels are a lot stronger than the basic swivels.

more grease

more grease

I cannot tell from the pictures; does the square, telescoping pre-rotator tube have a grease fitting?
Does the drive mechanism (wheel at prop) disengage or is it always (and thus the pre-rotator) turning?
Thanks for sharing.
Brian

Last edited:
I cannot tell from the pictures; does the square, telescoping pre-rotator tube have a grease fitting?
Does the drive mechanism (wheel at prop) disengage or is it always (and thus the pre-rotator) turning?
Thanks for sharing.
Brian

No, There is no grease fitting on the telescoping sections.
I did not see a need for it there since it is only used once in a flight.

The only grease fitting is on the Bendix bearing and I grease that before every flight.

And no the pre rotator is not always engaged.
Only during pre rotation.

Rick

Roundwing,

Any chance you could provides specific part #'s , sources and specs used in your pre-rotator setup?

Price would also be helpful. I suspect there are a lot of ppl who would benefit from this information.

1.)Bendix Gear and bracket mods w/ bearing (#Teeth,Source,bearing type,$) Calumetair.
2.)Ring Gear (#teeth,et al) Calumetair.
3.)Telescoping shaft_ parts needed for assy. (source,$) Inner shaft 3/8in ID X 1/2in OD Outer shaft 1/2in ID X 5/8in OD. Local welding shop.
4.)Angle bevel gear (Amazon_http://andantex.com/products/right-angle-gearbox-anglgear/) Model R3200 1:1 ratio
(ratio, $) About $170.00
5.)Transfer shaft to transfer wheel w/ universal joints (source,$) Calumetair.
6.)Transfer Wheel assy. (source, size of wheel,$) Calumetair.
7.)Power transfer Ring for Wheel from Prop (source,size,$) Calumetair.

Please fill in the blank info for ease of answering and any other info pertanant to a complete pre-rotator system as designed.

MANY, MANY Thanks from all of us who are interested in this design.

I do not have prices other than my estimate on the bevel gear. I already owned most of the rest but they can be purchased from Calumetair.

The mounting bracket for the bevel gear I designed and built.

I made the mounting bracket for the drive wheel to also make a better oil breather/filler.

Rick

Here is how the tail turned out.

Attachments

• DSCN2871.jpg
    DSCN2871.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 3
Got a VW KB2 gyro my self, just had an accident and starting to rebuild, will love to have the "T" tail that you had, if there any way that you can made another one and sell it to me, or at list sell me all the pre-cut pre-vended tubes?
I can be contacted by email at puchepu at hotmail.com

Got a VW KB2 gyro my self, just had an accident and starting to rebuild, will love to have the "T" tail that you had, if there any way that you can made another one and sell it to me, or at list sell me all the pre-cut pre-vended tubes?

As I mentioned in post #20 above, Ron Herron makes tail assemblies similar to this.

The original tail was sheared out of 1/8 inch aluminum. It did the job but is very heavy.

That was one of the reasons that I built the new tail out of 4130 chrome moly.

The other reason was to get practice with that fabrication technique and covering process.

I am very happy with how it turned out.

I was shocked when I reweighed it after all of the modifications were complete.

I got rid of 28 pounds!

Can't wait to fly it and see the performance change.

I would recommend getting the new tail from Ron Herron. It will probably be your best bet.

Rick

Nice mods Rick!!!

Ron does not make the tail assemblies . He sales a plans package unless he changed his
mind sinse I last spoke with him about one for myself :)

Thanks John.

Hopefully I can get it to Mentone this year and join the flying fun there.

Rick

Sweet look forward to seeing your ride... Oops I mean you!!! :lol:

Finally got everything done and flew it today.

New prerotator works great.

I have a couple of minor adjustments to make tomorrow.

Over all I am happy with the effort.

Definitely met the FAA criteria for educational purposes. I learned a ton.

Fun meter pegged.

Rick

Congratulations Rick!

Congratulations Rick!

So often when I work on a big project I take three steps forward and two back.

You worked on divergent systems and to have it come together so nicely is something to be proud of.

Thank you, Vance

I see I had not posted a picture of how the whole thing now looks.

Problem solved.

Attachments

• DSCN2923.jpg
    DSCN2923.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 2