Wind Ryder Gyro

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
I flew both the one that Harry died in and also Jerry's. The Windryder is a fine stable design. Just like any cabin gyro, you should fly them in coordinated flight, in trim. Most "cabin" gyros are not happy with a lot of slip. I personally like the aircraft. I even experienced an engine failure in one and it was a piece of cake. Even the 18A has slip limitations.

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Jerry had the need for speed and moved on to a Pulsar f/w at 160mph+. Here are a couple old photos to ponder. One taken near Kill Devil hills NC (1989) before that one was sold to Harry and one taken at Frederick MD (1990) the day Jerry left everyone in the dust with his while he landed somewhere else and then caught back up to us still "chugging" away to the first destination. Map in hand looking for another place to go. Yeah, that's me (1989) when I was 40. A CFI still wet behind the ears with hair and dressed weird.!!!

Attachments

• N81754 Windryder 1990.jpg
    N81754 Windryder 1990.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 7
  • 1989 Nags Head NC.jpg
    1989 Nags Head NC.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 7
  • N81754 Windryder Jerrys.jpg
    N81754 Windryder Jerrys.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 6

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
It is not the enclosure that makes enclosed gyros lethal; it is the low center of drag.

Enclosed gyros with lateral drag center on the CG can be flown sideways as well as open frame gyros.

Euro-Bensen designers may very well know that but in order to have a marketable product, a gyro must be low slung and look like a Lamborghini.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
It is not the enclosure that makes enclosed gyros lethal; it is the low center of drag.

Enclosed gyros with lateral drag center on the CG can be flown sideways as well as open frame gyros.

Euro-Bensen designers may very well know that but in order to have a marketable product, a gyro must be low slung and look like a Lamborghini.

Chuck, which models are you speaking about ? Could you do a photoshop picture of what it would look like if it was properly designed ?

Thanks

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
When the center of drag and CG coincide, there is no rotational moment about the CG, permitting sideways flight without slip-roll coupling.

Drag center can be approximated by balancing a cardboard cutout of a profile on a pencil point; -the centroid of area.

Attachments

• drag.JPG
    drag.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 4

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Yup, Jerry Eastman was the Windryder pilot I remember.

The principal design problem with "high riders" (no comment on the need for a Lamborghini look) is the vulnerable and/or very heavy and draggy nose gear leg. It's not too much of a problem on pavement, but it badly wants to bend back when flown off imperfect grass runways.

The nose leg design on Vance Breese's machine appears to employ a triagulated fixed strut with the wheel swivel on the bottom instead of the top. That's better than the usual setup, I think.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Low thrustline machines often have fragile nosewheel struts.

But CLT machines generally have manageable nosewheel struts; -the Aviomania series of gyros is an example.

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Jerry had the need for speed and moved on to a Pulsar f/w at 160mph+. Here are a couple old photos to ponder. One taken near Kill Devil hills NC (1989) before that one was sold to Harry and one taken at Frederick MD (1990) the day Jerry left everyone in the dust with his while he landed somewhere else and then caught back up to us still "chugging" away to the first destination. Map in hand looking for another place to go. Yeah, that's me (1989) when I was 40. A CFI still wet behind the ears with hair and dressed weird.!!!

Chris,
LOVE the green shorts man !
Randy :D