Why the "Flames"?

DougKspokane

I don't fly, yet.  I will, one day.  I eagerly read as many posts as I can but "dump" the flames as just ego-blasting rhetoric.  When they start out with name-calling, I just go on to the next one in hopes of finding the TRUTH.<br><br>Strictly from the many "scientific" comments, how many have taken the time to look at this website?<br><br>http://taggart.glg.msu.edu/gyro/rb1.htm<br><br>It is extensive and takes time to read, but it appears to be a great summary of both science and experience.  Am I wrong?  Is he wrong?

Re: Why the "Flames"?

As it's been my experiance about "Flames," It is a simple combination of about three elements:<br><br>1.  A free discussion forum based on Science and opinions.  Both can vary greatly which, by itself, can cause friction.<br><br>2.  Because we are communicating via keyboard, there is sometimes a problem trying to determine meaning of the typist. When people speak, they can use inflection, tone, some people talk with their hands while speaking.  Eye contact and interpersonall communication skills (body Language) also help people establish meaning of the speaker.  When typing, that's all you got, and the reader determins tone and meaning.  That's why one person will read a post and say, "That sounds a matter of fact."  While another may interpret it as being arrogant."  This also cause alot of friction.<br><br>3.  Because this is an open forum, and alot of people read these forums, ego's are bruised very easy.  People react very differently when they feel like someone is personally attacting them, rather than attacting there stance.<br><br>My two cents.<br>

Flame are cool! I have flames painted on my truck, and my welding helmet, and have painted flames on lots of motorcycles.<br>OOPs sorry, "THOSE" types of flames..<br><br>I agree with John, plus some people just get cocky behind a keyboard. And somebody will always get pissed off at somebody else and sometimes people keep it going just to see how far they can push someone.    Have a great day, You too John! ;D

It is extensive and takes time to read, but it appears to be a great summary of both science and experience.  Am I wrong?  Is he wrong?
<br><br>You ain't, and he ain't. Ralph Taggart is the guru of ultralight gyroplanes, a phrase that would embarrass him. However -- there's a lot more to it than that. <br><br>If you want good and accurate information, ALL sides in the various debates would suggest that you get with a good instructor (of course, naming that instructor may kick off another debate. I would say pick one familiar with the sort of gyro you want to fly. And... if you haven't decided yet, keep reading and learning). <br><br>Now, if you want a lot of great information and don't mind reading, I can recommend a book that is all fact and hardly any opinion: The FAA's Rotorcraft Flying Handbook. All it costs, too, is the time to download the .pdf and the disk space to keep it. (mind you, it's 10.5 MB).<br><br>http://av-info.faa.gov/data/traininghandbook/faa-h-8083-21.pdf<br><br>(also, many other good FAA docs are here. There are VERY few errors of fact or even typos in FAA training documents! You can trust them. Yeah, there are some exceptions we old goats argue about, but... for most of us, flying is life; we're passionate about it):<br><br>http://afs600.faa.gov/srchFolder.asp?Category=traininghandbook<br><br>IMPORTANT: don't skip straight to the chapters on gyros, read the helicopter material. The reason is, whoever wrote the gyro chapters didn't bother to reintroduce concepts that were already covered in helicopter-land. Besides... it's interesting. <br><br>If you're not in the USA, don't worry. This is a book of knowledge for airmen, and it isn't too tied to American regulations (and the regs everywhere in the free world are more alike than they are different). It's a dry government document, so you might find it heavy sledding. <br><br>And if you don't "get" something, ask. Keep a can of Halon handy, though... you know how we get. <br><br>cheers<br><br>-=K=-

Wow,<br><br>I bought that book, sent away mail order...I'll be darned.<br><br>

I too have been reading that book. It is very comprehensive. I remember the stack of FAA books I bought to study before taking my A&P test, I still reference them for technical information.<br>What other books would be good to study before taking the pilots written test?

Re:Why the "Flames"?

Thanks hognose,

I also just purchased "The FAA's Rotorcraft Flying Handbook" for $15.00. I wish I would have known sooner. Any other books, videos, websites you might recommend. I Appreciate any suggestions to further my learning on gyro planes. I just purchased a Magni M-16 trainer and getting started on the build. Hope to be done by spring time. I know I have a lot to learn to become a good safe pilot.
Thanks,
Darren Twellman

[quote author=skyflea73 link=board=6;threadid=75;start=0#msg1740 date=1070920757]
I also just purchased "The FAA's Rotorcraft Flying Handbook" for $15.00. I wish I would have known sooner.[/quote]

Hey, Darren. It's kind of handy to have the paper book. In fact, I printed the .pdf off and put it in a loose leaf binder.

Any other books, videos, websites you might recommend.

I wish that Jim Mayfield would put some of the stuff on the AAI website like Greg does. Jim gives a fantastic "chalk talk" on gyro stability. You know about Greg's site... do you know about rotorcraft.com? This forum actually started as an alternative to a forum there.

There was a magazine called "Fly GYRO!" in the UK that was great. Unfortunately Mel Morris-Jones fell ill and the mag folded. But the website is still there and still has a lot of good info.

There is an internet newsgroup, rec.aviation.rotorcraft. Signal noise ratio a little weak, but many knowledgeable people post there. Mostly helicopters.

I will try to think of some more sources of information. I believe (and I think that Chuck E. will back me on this) that knowing fixed wing and helicopter aerodynamics will help you with learning gyro aerodynamics. SOME of the skills of flying transfer, some do not transfer, and some have negative transfer, meaning, if you react in the gyro the way you would in a fixed wing, we'll be posting a memorial thread! I believe you need to understand every machine you fly... but there's knowing and then there's knowing. You can only go so far in aerodynamics without a good grounding in physics. (the more physics the better). However, you can go far enough to fly safely with a shade-tree-mechanic's understanding of how forces act on "stuff," and no "book physics" at all.

On the bright side, if quantum physics puzzles you, that's OK, cause it's no help in a gyro.

I just purchased a Magni M-16 trainer and getting started on the build.

Excellent choice, excellent machine. How about keeping us posted on the build?

cheers

-=K=-

Cost of Rotorcraft Flying Hand book

Cost of Rotorcraft Flying Hand book

Darren, Where did you find the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook of $15?

I checked the GPO site at http://bookstore.gpo.gov/ and the Goverment price Is $32.

I did download the PDF file. But I'd like the book also.

Hi Chuck,

I bought my Rotorcraft Flying Handbook from Greg Gremminger. I called Greg and he said you can buy the book for a lot less on Amazon.com. He said that you might even get a better deal if you buy in bulk.
Darren Twellman

Thanks guys, I'll try Amazon.com