Why Gyros are not Welcome at Airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota_Mike

gyroplane accidents remain far more numerous per flight hour than almost any other type of registered aircraft
QUESTION:
...is this statistic skewed due to the limited range (fuel) and therefore typical flight time (limited) of these (our) Sport Aircraft..?

Or...is it compiled based solely on "logged pilot hours"..?

This is one Stat. that seems to me to stand out due to an "Apples" vs. "Oranges" comparison....since Gyros would typically perform far more take offs and landings vs. FW per hour (since total Gyro flight time is very limited by comparison).

Thinking about this....wouldn't a better standard be a comparison per numbers of pilots flying...?
Clearly, the number of FW accidents is HIGHER per year than in Gyros (since there are more of them).
If divided by the number of pilots (of each category)...could it very well be that Gyro's are actually statistically SAFER than FW in "crashes"...?

We DO know that we are flying the safest aircraft by design...but also One wherein a higher Pilot "error" rate was common (before regulations required training in most cases).

I'M JUST ASKING....not shooting any messengers here.

Last edited:

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Mike...

Mike...

I always got a kick out of the airlines skewed stats about the safest mode of transport per person per mile..common sense will tell you trains are FAR safer, if the engine goes quiet yoou sit there till another one comes along, but they always make it seem like planes are the safest. Remember 97.2 percent of statistics are made up on the spot!
Ben S

johnifly

Aircraft
Robinson R44, R22, & Mini 500
Total Flight Time
Hi Paul,
Like I said I don’t agree with the see and avoid radio rule I think there should be communications in the area. We have problems here with the same things lack of communication. The airport I fly in and out of when working flying power line inspection has several gyros to powered shuts to gulf streams. Are rules here are just common and we have an airport pilots meetings a lot to make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music here. Aircraft follow approach at 1000 agl and helicopter and or rotor craft is 500 agl. Aircraft have left hand patterns rotor craft have right. Aircraft go to the runways we go to compass rose or the nearest part of the taxi way to our destination. Every one here communicates with radios. As you said some times see and avoid doesn’t work well. We also know the tail numbers of all the training aircraft here and when there up flying we watch out more carefully because we now that they are mostly students with poor radio skills. Yes all of us here have radios and announce our intentions.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I don't understand aggressive flying at low altitudes around airports, whether you get complaints or not. Perhaps some folks crave an audience, need the aggravation of enemies to feel alive, or just have really small fuel tanks. There are plenty of wide open chunks of airspace for testing the edge of the envelope. The most dangerous place for aircraft, statistically, is in or near airport traffic patterns or near navigational aids such as VORs.
Amen to that. Hot-dogging around an airport can be illegal as well. I've seen pilots bust 91.303 and 91.119 without ever having thought about whether they even apply. If you're doing tricks in a gyro, you may very well be producing an "abrupt change in attitude", or an "abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight", which makes it aerobatic for section 303 purposes (forget the bank and pitch angle stuff elsewhere in the regs - those rules are for parachute purposes, not 303). If so, then you're illegal if you're below 1500 feet which is almost always the case for hot-doggers, regardless of the airport you're at. (It's also illegal if there's class E airspace at your airport, which is pretty common even without a tower.) Fooling around low at an airport, even an uncontrolled one, is an invitation to get a violation. The FAA guy who cites you is likely to have a very narrow view of what is "necessary for normal flight", and he may very well consider your yank bank pedal and crank tricks to involve abnormal accelerations.

And even at an airport, you're still subject to 119(c) meaning you can't be within 500 feet of any person, vehicle or structure. The regs excuse getting lower/closer only when necessary for takeoff or landing. If that's not what you're doing at the airport, you'd better have at least 500 feet separation from everything on the surface.

Airports are a dumb places to fool around. There are other places to play.

Fl90

Gold Member
It's not often I appreciate my place here, it's a lot of work, fair amount of agrevation, and sometimes I don't get to use it much.....especially the short days of winter. (like now)

THANK YOU ALL, for showing me the upside of my work/play ground!

Peace, Phil

Passin' Thru

It's not often I appreciate my place here, it's a lot of work, fair amount of agrevation, and sometimes I don't get to use it much.....especially the short days of winter. (like now)

THANK YOU ALL, for showing me the upside of my work/play ground!

Peace, Phil
I perfectly understand exactly what you mean. I stay away from public airports and expect to be left alone around my goat path.

Tina

Total Flight Time
400+ FW 100+ GYRO
We have two kinds of people here that fly gyros, one that follows the rules and one that thinks he is a renegade and has to answer to no one. I see this a lot in many gyro pilots. Myself I like to be apart of the aviation club and follow the rules but flying a gyro can be tricky sometimes. Our gyros will do things that other aircraft would call dangerous. But I would say flying above people and buildings low is always dangerous and I have seen this on many occasions with other gyro pilots. I don't understand why they don't get it or they just don't worry because they have no license to protect. When someone works hard to get a ticket and keep it current then they may have a little more concern not to loose it. I think there is a lot of gyro pilots too that just do not know the rules because they where never taught.

When I see Scott fly at the fly-ins at El Mirage he has the rules in mind, he flys high and away from the crowd and can do some amazing things with his gyro. On the other hand I also seen Dennis fly for a sort time this last El mirage fly-in. I had lots of concern to how close he was to the crowd and and flying directly over the flight line doing maneuvers to close to where people land and take off. Watching Denis fly was very uncomfortable for me to watch because I was worried and had concerns someone may get hurt. That maybe the difference in their style of flying. I personally like watching Scott fly and only hope to achieve that kind of perfection someday in my flying.

DennisFetters

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
582 Commander Elite
Total Flight Time
Stopped counting years ago after 5,000
When I see Scott fly at the fly-ins at El Mirage he has the rules in mind, he flys high and away from the crowd and can do some amazing things with his gyro. On the other hand I also seen Dennis fly for a sort time this last El mirage fly-in. I had lots of concern to how close he was to the crowd and and flying directly over the flight line doing maneuvers to close to where people land and take off. Watching Denis fly was very uncomfortable for me to watch because I was worried and had concerns someone may get hurt. That maybe the difference in their style of flying. I personally like watching Scott fly and only hope to achieve that kind of perfection someday in my flying.
Tina, I don't know what fly-in you were at, but we all took-off and landed in the same place, which was coned off away from the crowd, and never once did I fly over that line or over the campers or people, like some others did. I flew in the same places where everyone else flew.

What is up with you to write such a blatant untruth?

Tina

Total Flight Time
400+ FW 100+ GYRO
Tina, I don't know what fly-in you were at, but we all took-off and landed in the same place, which was coned off away from the crowd, and never once did I fly over that line or over the campers or people, like some others did. I flew in the same places where everyone else flew.

What is up with you to write such a blatant untruth?
Dennis I do not have to defend what I seen and I am not the only one that seen it, so there!

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
Both Dennis and Scott are excellent flyers. Dennis did fly lower than Scott (for the most part), but I never once saw him cross over the crowd or cross the line while flying. He may have come closer to some people when they were at the line looking at other gyros
(though he was clearly well on his side of the line) - which allowed me to get one or 2 really nice pictures of Dennis in his gyro - but IMHO, he never once put anyone to risk flying at El Mirage. Just my 2 cents.

Riff Raf

Aircraft
Air Command 503 & RAF 2000 GTX SE (with some mods.) Tierra W/ Tri-Gear
Total Flight Time
16 dual in Sparrowhawk and a few more in other Gyros, 250 in FW
The fly-in at El Mirage
I was there for three days all day long. and saw Dennis with his new rebuilt AC doing pretty much some test flights and a few non aggressive side slips and far enough away I had to use zoom on my camera to get a photo.

Dennis and Scott both flew their gyro's very professional those days.

I'm with Terry on this one

Someones trying to cause more trouble:lalala:

Dirtydog

Best seat in the house!
Aircraft
Dogbee / Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
18 duel/ 55 hrs in the Dogbee
Again this is why I posted this! Don't have to say anymore

Originally Posted by Dirtydog View Post
Chuck Roberg :
Might be better to delete it before it gets started!

Status
Not open for further replies.