Which iPad to use for ADSB in & out?

Kevin_Richey

Staff member
Apple products lovers: Our local PRA Chapter 73 president's name is Bill Totten.
He'd like to know what version of the iPad tablet that works best for use in a gyroplane cockpit & would like to hear from anyone re: their experiences w/ using the iPad.
He wants to tie into the ADSB in & out. He is familier w/ the Avare aviation softeware & has used that.
Please contact him, not me.
[email protected]
503-701-6178-C

I use iPad mini with Foreflight since it also works with iPhone as backup device. Only had one issue with the touch screen interface when flying in very humid conditions causing screen to get damp and not responding to touch, but this only happened once.

Avare supports ADS-B in. He'd need something like a UAvionix Echo UAT for ADS-B out... that's not something an iPad can do.

In my Cavalon I have the UAvionix Echo UAT with both ADS-B in and out, and I use an iPad Mini 4. I started out with a 12" iPad, but it was simply too large to fit on my panel. I created a home-grown iPad holder for it and it is also hooked into my audio system so I can hear alerts. The EFB I use is iFly GPS... their lower-cost VFR subscription includes an obstacle database, something that on Foreflight would require a much higher cost subscription.

panel1.png

I use the same system as rlaird above. Ipad mini 4 running iflygps and uavionix for ads-b in and out. Works superbly. Besides the terrain database the iflygps software also excels as you can make the text blocks very large which is nice for senior eyes in a bouncy gyroplane cockpit. I also did a short video on my system which you can view here:

I use my old 10 inch ipad pro.
Only because I have it. I used to use a mini with my ELA but gave it to the new owner.
On mine, i have two 1” velcro strips adhesived to the ipad back side.
The corresponding longer strips I use as leg straps.
I simply lay the ipad on my leg where it aits comfortably and securly.
I have onboard dash Garmin but i dont use it because (A) its too complicated for a gyro, and (B) I’m older now and cant see the screen in the garnin.
FlyQ is in my opinion, way easier to master than Foreflight .
Integration between devices is seemless.
Files transfer to my ipad at home.
Uvionix adsb in out. Nice set up

Thanks to all who responded to Bill's request for advice! I forgot to add in Post #1 above that he is particularly interested in what different type of aviation software you have used & how you have liked them using an iPad/Mini. He is quite comfortable w/ Android, so The Bitten-Apple stuff is new territory to him.

He is extremely busy as the full-time care giver for his handicapped wife (including cooking all the meals, grocery shopping, bill-paying, etc.), & he has to try very hard to carve out time to do his aviation/rotorcraft love-interest! Whew! I don't know how he does it...

Bill also has endured ridicule from the airport rats as well as friends who think airplanes are the only sane way of fly. He loves all thing rotorcraft, and, particularly, avionics & associated wiring. He spent decades in the local Guard & is the only one allowed to restore some of the old helicopters for display.

So, thanks again on Bill's behalf. He simply is too busy to monitor this forum daily, so he asked me to place this request for him.

Last edited:
Since I'm in an enclosed gyroplane, display brightness -- while still a concern -- isn't nearly as important as those in an open cockpit. So it should be noted what display brightness is available for the equipment you're using. (And some kind of shield/sun blocker is almost required for a display in open cockpit.) So here is some info:

iPad Mini 4 = 450 nits
iPad Mini 5 = 500 nits
iFlyGPS 740b = 1100 nits

I put the 740b in there because it's unmistakably one of the brightness displays out there that I'm aware of. (Full disclosure: I do not work for Adventure Pilot nor get anything from mentioning their products... I'm just a big fan!) I use both the iPad Mini 4 and 740b in my cockpit. Most of the time I can see the iPad, but there are situations where it's *very* difficult to see it, whereas I've never had issues seeing the display on the 740b.

While Foreflight is definitely the king of EFBs, IMO iFlyGPS provides 100% of what a gyroplane pilot needs for navigation, cross-country or local.

Last edited:
Since I'm in an enclosed gyroplane, display brightness -- while still a concern -- isn't nearly as important as those in an open cockpit. So it should be noted what display brightness is available for the equipment you're using. (And some kind of shield/sun blocker is almost required for a display in open cockpit.) So here is some info:

iPad Mini 4 = 450 nits
iPad Mini 5 = 500 nits
iFlyGPS 740b = 1100 nits

I put the 740b in there because it's unmistakably one of the brightness displays out there that I'm aware of. (Full disclosure: I do not work for Adventure Pilot nor get anything from mentioning their products... I'm just a big fan!) I use both the iPad Mini 4 and 740b in my cockpit. Most of the time I can see the iPad, but there are situations where it's *very* difficult to see it, whereas I've never had issues seeing the display on the 740b.

While Foreflight is definitely the king of EFBs, IMO iFlyGPS provides 100% of what a gyroplane pilot needs for navigation, cross-country or local.
Brightness aside, the iPad can easily overheat under the California sun, but the 740b is a tank...

I have an iPad Pro and WingX which is free to veterans.
SparrowHawk I N8982C Phase 1 Testing to begin very soon.
Trained by Bob Snyder at W29 and Proficiency Check Ride with Tom McKnight.

WingX is great. I only switched to integrate with my GTX345 and Foreflight supported it. Hard to go from WingX to Foreflight. I prefer WingX for in flight nav, but Foreflight is better for integration with weather. Nice to see crosswinds reported in Foreflight, but not always accurate.

I downloaded the I fly app to my phone and it seems to work well. Going to try it tomorrow

Don't download it till you are ready to use it. It starts a 30 day trial.

My phone works Great. I have a arm strap and I can see it well. Got an hour flight and only used 20% of the battery.

Apple is pretty much the device of choice for most apps. Foreflight is most popular aviation software.
Agreed. As much as Android and their software have tried to catch up, Apple and Foreflight were the "first movers" and it shows. Really seamless.

My phone works Great. I have a arm strap and I can see it well. Got an hour flight and only used 20% of the battery.
If you fly in humid conditions and the touch phone screen gets damp the touch control may not work. Just FYI flying in open cockpit. Had this happen while flying along coast of Maine and was a pain.

Thanks for the info. I have it in this case. I hope it will keep it dry.

Attachments

• 16491140007828439681837573549432.jpg
    16491140007828439681837573549432.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 9