Wheres that moron now?

Is this my friend?

Is this my friend?

While reading thru this post I am wondering if the author is my friend Dave Seace out of Fla. If so, I am glad to see that you are doing okay Dave. I had really great flying experiences with you, down dere in WaChuLa.
In my mind Davey Seace rates as one of the most skilled tutors and overall thoughtful and kind personalities that a newby could ever hope for.
I have had training with several CFI gyro's and it ALL has been good for me. I wish that Dave Seace would also would have been a CFI gyro. He really could be all that any student would ever hope to have, or ever need.
Thank you very much,
M J Daly.

Different Air and Different Aircraft?

Different Air and Different Aircraft?

Vance:
It's important to get smooth conditions to measure glide ratio but it is not important to have 0 wind conditions to do it.
You don't measure it directly. You measure descent rate and true airspeed using calibrated airspeed chart. You can have a 10 mph headwind as long as it is decently smooth. You need a stop watch, sensitive altimeter, a decent static port (which isn't present in MTO or in Cavalon btw), a good airspeed calibration chart done previously.

You must have a different ten knot wind than we have at SMX or U77 Abid. I would not describe it as decently smooth. The indicated air speed is typically bouncing through around seven knots at both airports.

How many thousands of feet do you measure your glide ratio over? I have found it takes a bit for a gyroplane to settle down and I have not had repeatable results with less than three thousand feet of measured descent.

It seems odd that the Cavalons you have seen don’t have static ports. The Cavalon I am flying has a static port on each side as does The Predator. I can’t imagine getting an accurate indicated air speed without static ports.

I was impressed with how little the indicated air speed compared to ground speed changed with the doors off indicating to me that the static ports are well located. The come off quickly enough to where the air had not changed much.

Thank you, Vance

And he probably hasn't done dunker training either. :(

You must have a different ten knot wind than we have at SMX or U77 Abid. I would not describe it as decently smooth. The indicated air speed is typically bouncing through around seven knots at both airports.

How many thousands of feet do you measure your glide ratio over? I have found it takes a bit for a gyroplane to settle down and I have not had repeatable results with less than three thousand feet of measured descent.

It seems odd that the Cavalons you have seen don’t have static ports. The Cavalon I am flying has a static port on each side as does The Predator. I can’t imagine getting an accurate indicated air speed without static ports.

I was impressed with how little the indicated air speed compared to ground speed changed with the doors off indicating to me that the static ports are well located. The come off quickly enough to where the air had not changed much.

Thank you, Vance

Hi Vance:
You do not need to do many thousands of feet glide at all. If you can get 500 feet of steady air at a given airspeed with a steady sink rate for say one minute or even 30 seconds and you can record altitude at start and end of that 30 second period and calibrated airspeed then derive true airspeed from it. You got a descent start of a polar. You can repeat this data point say 3 times to see if data is valid.

Yes high above the earth's surface very early in the morning or late in the evening, you can get steady wind. It may be 20 knots but it isn't not smooth. If you are in the mountains you can still get that on the right side above the peaks out of the rotors.

Did you do an airspeed calibration test yet on the MTO? You should try it.

I rode with Dave at Bensen days one year. Awesome pilot. But then he went and parked on a runway. Oh well. He was good until that.....

Ain't skeered

Ain't skeered

Hey, that looks a lot like my style of flying....something Davie always says "It's going to bite you one of these days." Gotta love that low over the water, and vertical drop stuff. Wish I had my gyro down there. Good job Dave :yo: