Where to get fiberglass fairing

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Lets just say I wanted to build a 2 place tandem, and put a body (fairing) on it. where would I find a trike body like this?

Attachments

• sport.jpg
    sport.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
pod

pod

Scott, if you are asking for an exact body like the one in the photo, that is an Apache North Wing trike made by North Wing in Winatchee (sp), Washington state. Contact Cameron Blevens there. I dont know if they will sell just the fairing. Good luck....

Scott
If you locate a good company that would produce a pod maybe there would be enough of interest that you could take orders for x amount of pods.
I contacted Dennis Fetters about the company that made the air command pods but he did not have much information as it was all hand laided stuff on small scale.

Scott
If you locate a good company that would produce a pod maybe there would be enough of interest that you could take orders for x amount of pods.
I contacted Dennis Fetters about the company that made the air command pods but he did not have much information as it was all hand laided stuff on small scale.

Mark, the company that made our pod and pants were in Kansas City MO, called Drakes Designs. They went out of business shortly after I sold Air Command, and after Red Smith acquired it from the brothers I sold it to. Red pulled the molds from Drakes Designs and they make the pods in Texas themselves.

Making a pod is not a big deal. You just need to design it, build a plug and make a mold. The old AC design was and is solid wet-layup. A little heavy for what we do in fiberglass now. Now any fiberglass parts I make are from Pre-Preg materials, and are 1/4th the weight and twice the strength. The problem is designing a pod that would fit on enough airframes and not adversely affect the flight characteristics, and to sell enough to make it worth while.

Making a pod is not a big deal. You just need to design it, build a plug and make a mold. The old AC design was and is solid wet-layup. A little heavy for what we do in fiberglass now. Now any fiberglass parts I make are from Pre-Preg materials, and are 1/4th the weight and twice the strength. The problem is designing a pod that would fit on enough airframes and not adversely affect the flight characteristics, and to sell enough to make it worth while.

Right, for the amount of work required it would be easier to just buy one.

Scott, Pm me if interested in the pod Tim's motor was attached to. It's a full pod, with the wrap arounds at the mast.

Phil