What's the Status?

okikuma

What's the status of the Phenix Autogyro? The phenix.aero website no longer exists. I was really hoping this tractor autogyro go into production. Even better, become a kit aircraft for the USA experimental amateur built market. It definitely would sell here in the USA as a kit.!

Wayne

GyroCFI is correct; the aircraft has not entered production. Development is stuck at 99.999%, With the certification test flight remaining. We've had a tremendous run of bad luck, with personal tragedies and other setbacks. We are trying to move forward and I hope that we will eventually get to a point where something positive happens.

The website is still up at www.phenixgyro.com and the FB page too. But no new news, so no updating.

We are trying and hope to reach a positive point, But it won't be quick.

I hope you are successful at bringing that gyro to market. It really is probably the only gyro I would consider shelling out the money for, really striking design.

I'm trying, hell, I've BEEN trying for the past 9 years! If it was solely up to me, there'd be a hundred of them flying in the US

I'm trying, hell, I've BEEN trying for the past 9 years! If it was solely up to me, there'd be a hundred of them flying in the US
Status check. Any GOOD news?

I cannot help but wonder the status of the Phenix Gyroplane that was originally designed in Spain.

We all know the stability and safety benefits of the tractor configuration. With that in mind, Carlos and his team so eloquently designed one of the most attractive, modern gyroplane to date. I definitely think if the Phenix was offered as a Light Sport compliant EAB kit it would sell very well here in the USA. I certainly would like to own one.

After some search, I found the current website.

Hopefully if enough renewed interest and positive comments about the Phenix are said on this forum it might inspire the current owner/manufacture to push forward with the design.

Wayne

We've had a tremendous run of bad luck, with personal tragedies and other setbacks. We are trying to move forward and I hope that we will eventually get to a point where something positive happens.
Very sorry to hear that.

Some of us manage to move forward on projects without too many hiccups, others, not so lucky, as I and other are painfully aware.

Wish you luck on your project.

GyroCFI is correct; the aircraft has not entered production. Development is stuck at 99.999%, With the certification test flight remaining. We've had a tremendous run of bad luck, with personal tragedies and other setbacks. We are trying to move forward and I hope that we will eventually get to a point where something positive happens.

The website is still up at www.phenixgyro.com and the FB page too. But no new news, so no updating.

We are trying and hope to reach a positive point, But it won't be quick.
Cobus: So many loved the design of the Phenix. Apparently a good flying gyroplane.
Could you elaborate as the reasons why it disappeared?
What kind of personal tragedies and set backs?
Did they simply run out of money to finish it? Blew through all investment funds?
Was too much spent on attempting European Certification?
I thought I remembered reading of some issues w/ the lack of sufficient rudder authority...a few landing or takeoff issues/minor accidents related to that?
My wife saw a video of it this AM and said she really liked the looks of it! She added that it looked like a helicopter, which is what she thought it was initially.

Wayne, a tractor gyro has certain safety advantages over a pusher in nose-down crashes. The tractor engine hits the ground first, so its mass dissipates its energy directly against the earth instead of against the occupants.

Stability? Not so much. There is a fallacy out there that a tractor aircraft is more stable because the engine "pulls her out straight," like a kid's wagon pulled by its handle. (We all know that the same wagon, if pushed by its handle, will try to jackknife.) The wagon analogy doesn't hold up, though. The wagon handle is hinged to the wagon, and hence the wagon can either line up with the pull or not. The aircraft's engine OTOH is rigidly mounted, so that engine and aircraft always point the same way, pusher or tractor.

The tractor's fast prop blast impacts the cabin, creating more cabin drag than a pusher of the same design. You must streamline the tractor's cabin fully to minimize this effect. The full streamlining results in a lot of side area that can create slip-roll coupling if not addressed.

A tractor config. is almost mandatory if using aerodynamic controls -- i.e. wings with ailerons for roll control. If the ailerons are full-span, they will be energized by the tractor prop blast and work at low speeds. in contrast, you'll lose aileron at low speeds in a winged pusher gyro.

Both configurations face challenges in tail volume. The fact that a gyro's rotor tilts aft reduces the practical length of the tail boom and the allowable height of the vertical tail surfaces.

All practical machine designs involve tradeoffs.