What's been through your prop

Had a washer go through through that I thought had been lost on the hangar floor.

Another gyro that I know of had a washer go through even though it was bolted down. The head of a bolt was safetied but the bolt broke just below the head liberating the washer. How do you safety wire a washer?

Used to keep my helicopter along side a farmers field and used the field for departing and landing.
The corn had just been cleared and one nice fall day I took off and flew right over a number of pigeon who had taken off because of the noise, the ones below made it but the ones right over head were hit climbing up through them, it all happened in a moment, nothing hurt on the copter but there was several thump, thumps, feathers flying, pieces and parts to several pigeons on the bubble.

It's not a good idea....

It's not a good idea....

To try and use a sectional in an open cockpit gyro. I had one go through the prop on a Denver to Wauchula, FL flight one time. Good thing I had a GPS and a moving map display. Highly recommended for making confetti.

Bill, I shredded a sectional as well

Kind of screwed my prop ..

Kind of screwed my prop ..

.. by a M4 screw (some 3/16") that seems to have dropped in my engine cowling.

The nick displays the screw's thread. No other damage - no point to even bother to mend that nick.

Attachments

• Prop_Schraube.jpg
    Prop_Schraube.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
June of 2011, Wunderlick drive cable went through my prop. I was at about 10' agl and about 80mph, fixing to do a zoom climb for the onlookers. Jeff Tipton being one of them. As I rolled wings level over the parallel taxiway, I heard a LOUD boom, and my but was coming off the seat. I left a 100 yard debree field on the taxiway as parts come off the gyro. Here is a picture of my prop after 90 hp Mac a full throttle eat my drive cable. The second picture is the piece we found over by the runway, which was stuck in the ground and it was like it was standing up waving at us.

Attachments

• IMAG0794.jpg
    IMAG0794.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0795.jpg
    IMAG0795.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0
Debrie on runway after a gear up landing the night before. Wheel must have picked it up and threw it in. I never did see it on the runway, must have been a nut or a bolt.

The top of a palm tree once leaped off the ground and through my rotor while my brother (aka El Douche) who was flying behind me laughed.

June of 2011, Wunderlick drive cable went through my prop. I was at about 10' agl and about 80mph, fixing to do a zoom climb for the onlookers. Jeff Tipton being one of them. As I rolled wings level over the parallel taxiway, I heard a LOUD boom, and my but was coming off the seat. I left a 100 yard debree field on the taxiway as parts come off the gyro. Here is a picture of my prop after 90 hp Mac a full throttle eat my drive cable. The second picture is the piece we found over by the runway, which was stuck in the ground and it was like it was standing up waving at us.

Those things need to be safety wired, both the crimped metal end and the rubber flex housing. I only had mine wired around the crimp, Chris Burgess warned me about my hose not being wired when I had him inspect the Arrow Commander after I finished the CLT conversion.

Now I see why, both crimped ends on one of my 3 Wunderlich flexshafts is cracked!

The airport manager here (before he was manager) had JUST finished his Long EZ powered by 6-cyl Lycoming, and was doing fast taxi on the RW. It was parked by the pumps so I walked by to look it over up close and personal. It was beautiful and pristine...almost.

I found a nick in his nice new prop. He said, "That's impossible!", and had a look for himself. As he stood there scratching his head, and insisted no loose nut had ever been lost during the build, so he felt it was impossible that it was a leftover. He also insisted everything was tight and tidy before he ever started the engine first time. I told him he'd better go through the entire engine compartment and figure out which nut had been lost, cuz it defintely looked like a nut ding. He seemed to not agree, but the very next week he came over to my hanger and thanked me: he did find a nut missing on a header stud.

Gyro Jockey Gerg:
It was safety wired, but the lower unit failed in a way which allowed the flex hose to move over about 1 inch, and the inner drive cable (assisted by gravity) went out the end.
It was one of those friek things that comes up and bites you.