What's a KB4?

Noticed some pics of a KB4 on one of the club's post(Marksville '07 fall flyin). Is it a new clt version?
Thinking of driving over from Tyler, TX to the Marksville flyin '08. Hope to see a KB4 there as well as many others.

How many gyros do you think will be there?
Thanks,
Gary

Timchick

Tim Chick
Gary,
A KB-4 is what Mark calls his CLT modified KB-2 or 3. It's not an official model designation from the factory, just what Mark decided to call his. It looks pretty nice from the photos and videos.

Friendly

Platinum Member
Hi Gary
Thank you for your interest in my gyro.
Tim is correct, the KB 4 is a CLT version of a KB2 or KB3. I think it is Neal Carnes that sells a conversion kit for the Bensen/Brock type gyros. Bogman can tell you more about it. The KB4 is what I came up with to make a KB3 a CLT. Basically it just has the keel cut into and the cluster plate extended 6 inches. I did other things like used round tubing instead of angle aluminum for bracing and I added a pod that is higher than most pods for my EIS.
It uses the Dominator Tail rather than the Brock/Bensen tail and currently I have a scooter wheel which is raked 8 degrees for steering. Also I added independent brakes.
I used an electric prerotor initially to save time while I tried to figure how to adapt a mechanical drive to the EBox. I should have it installed for Marksville Flyin. It is probably the lest expensive CLT that can be built using old factory gyro parts.
Here a link to some videos of it flying.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6KKDGnfaY&feature=related

Friendly

Platinum Member
Does anyone know what parts you get with the conversion kit?
Bogman, Miles Manson can tell you more, or maybe Mike Gaspard, (he knows a lot about everything except Gaspardometers, well he knowns alot more than I do about things) . I think it includes the cluster plates, brackets, and nose wheel assembly.
Guy Segurs has a KB 4 with 503, Maybe he will post a picture. Miles modified KB2 has a Hirth, I think, There is another KB 3 modified in our chapter which has not be seen yet, but from what I know of the owner, it will be a beautiful machine, good flying machine.
Also Richard Kenndy, who I belive led the way down here in South has a modified KB3 and it was a conversion kit if I remember correctly.
Hope this helps.