What were you thinking?

okaneco1

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
TwinStarr Lycoming O-032B2c
Total Flight Time
a few
You have passed your ground school and FAA knowledge test, completed 20 hours of dual instruction, your CFI has drilled you on your light weight gyro, you have worn out a set of tires balancing on the mains--
You are sitting on the runway with your rotors up to speed
Your first solo
What were you thinking just before you pushed that throttle to full power?

K. O

Almost a year ago!!

Almost a year ago!!

Dawn .... Thanksgiving Saturday 2012.

just warmed up with a low runway flight & nice landing .... wind is perfect .... just power up when balance is established & keep going ..... just do the turns & hit all the numbers ... just as we did the pattern in the instructors trainer a couple of weeks ago! repeat x2 ..... & I FINALLY remembered to hit the record button on the Gopro ...... with all I've been thru this last year .... if I hadn't recorded it ... I'd athort it was just a dream! :rolleyes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=MxMeVoWJpJU

What I thought....

What I thought....

when I got to pattern altitude ..... "crap this is a LOOONG way up" ...."What a gorgeous sunrise" "Focus on the task" :)

BTW ..... I HATE heights! :eek:! ...... at least ladders , roofs, grainbins & catwalks! ...... sitting in a gyro has never given me trouble ... must be a standing up thing! :lol:

I believe that there are a lot of pilots who are afraid of heights,I'am one of those.

Being in a fixed wing never bothered me,my RAF scares the crap outta me when I go above just a couple of hundred feet.

Best regards,eddie.....

i

YEP ... I've discovered that

YEP ... I've discovered that

I believe that there are a lot of pilots who are afraid of heights,I'am one of those.

Being in a fixed wing never bothered me,my RAF scares the crap outta me when I go above just a couple of hundred feet.

Best regards,eddie...
i

an amazing # of pilots are goosey about heights!!!

:lol: You sound like Birdy!!!! ...... <200ft!!!!!!!!

My Altitude Trepidation

My Altitude Trepidation

I only recently discovered my trepidation about heights.

When the wind is gusting and we are several thousand feet above the ground; I find the lack of ground reference disquieting and feel I over react to my sensory input.

When we climbed to 12,800 feet above the ground I began to wonder how long it would take to get down if we caught fire. I shut the engine down and it took a little over sixteen minutes to reach the Santa Maria Airport runway from that altitude over Oceano. I was left with a renewed confidence in autorotation and loved the sound of the rotors without the sound of the engine.

In my early solo flying experience I felt like my tool box was empty when I needed to fix something. As I gained experience I found more tools to manage things until I have several ways to fix most piloting errors I have made.

I enjoyed a little altitude in my early solo days because it meant that the accuracy of my flight path was less important.

Thank you, Vance

I never really felt any worries about height until I took a hot air balloon to 5,000 feet (early in my balloon training) and was standing there in a small slightly swaying wicker basket that came up to about thigh level, with no belts of any kind. I got over it, but it had my attention for a little while.

I really couldn't fly a single seat open gyro like all of you do,you have my admiration and respect,and how you realize what your attitude is at any altitude above several hundred really amazes me.

Best regards,eddie.....

Altitude is your friend

Altitude is your friend

Hello all,

Heights, they can uncertain me. Skyscrapers like the Willis (Sears) tower in Chicago. Chicago's Hancock Building. And New York's Empire State Building... It all somewhat bothers me to be up there so high. You know, no sure way down but the stairs... alot of stairs. Height in an aircraft is not like being up in a skyscaper, on the outside of a silo, or up in a tree, (remember that fear kids?) Goodness, get over heights. Fly the gyro up high and enjoy your time. It's coming down low is where the s. might hit the fan. Most of us know what I am saying. Practise your landings, ask to be taught to fly smart while low. Take alot of time to learn and appreciate your aircraft's limitations. Best advice for now is to stay high and have a landing spot. Your gift of common sense and respect, combined with a deliberate gradation of experience will guide you along safely. Take Your Time.

I never really felt any worries about height until I took a hot air balloon to 5,000 feet (early in my balloon training) and was standing there in a small slightly swaying wicker basket that came up to about thigh level, with no belts of any kind. I got over it, but it had my attention for a little while.

My skin is crawling just reading about it...:eek:

heights are a natural fear of man no matter how much we don't admit it, only a gradual exposure to the fear, especially in a gyro requires an instructor not only knowlegable in aeronatics but a lesson in human physiology. making the student as calm as possible and teaching him is utmost importance.

You started this.....

You started this.....

You have passed your ground school and FAA knowledge test, completed 20 hours of dual instruction, your CFI has drilled you on your light weight gyro, you have worn out a set of tires balancing on the mains--
You are sitting on the runway with your rotors up to speed
Your first solo
What were you thinking just before you pushed that throttle to full power?

K. O

Kevin ....... why don't YOU share What YOU were thinking!!! When????

just curious!!!!:)

I'm still waiting to push the throttle to the stops, I'm close.
I started this post from a video I was watching from Tim Chick on his first test flight of his new Sport Copter. As I was watching his method for his first take off, I was wondering what he was thinking. (holy crap- here I go!)

K. O

Every time I've gone up in a gyro, the height had never bothered me at all - I think it's the fact that I'm secure in the knowledge of how the gyro works. BUT - here is one thing that I could NEVER do - in this case the height DOES bother me - Stairway to Heaven - YouTube

highest Ive ever been up on a tower was 995ft I changed the beacon lamp once. Was paid very well for it. But passed the second time they called.

I'm older now.

I just paid a guy to clime by 100ft tower at my house.

I am one that is kinda queezy at first when climbing a really HIGH ladder or walking on a catwalk really UP IN THE AIR... however it goes away in a few minutes when I 'adjust'. Flying has never bothered me... probably too much faith in the machine... <grin>

Here is a place I would NOT go:

http://io9.com/these-breathtaking-cliffside-walkways-will-give-you-ver-1425631631

Thanks for sharing that. I have been on Angles Landing. Great hike. it would kill me now that I am older. And I would go on the glass ledge. Love that stuff. The other stuff with the rotten boards....no way.

Mark