What video setup to buy

Dan0756

I’m in the process of getting a Magni M24 and would like to be able to create videos of my flights. I’m definitely not in the geek category and would like to get something that was quality but the software was easily understood. I’m considering the Garmin VIRB. I’d like to be able to capture atc audio, be able to type comments on the screen and to fast forward the video in parts and to include still shots in the video.

Is the Garmin with it’s editing software my best bet? Thanks Dan

I don't know if it is the best, as I have not used anything else yet, but I'm happy with the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 and I'm OK with Garmin VIRB Edit soft.

Great video! Thanks! Regarding the learning curve- were you able to tap into an online community or how to videos? Thanks

I’m in the process of getting a Magni M24 and would like to be able to create videos of my flights. I’m definitely not in the geek category and would like to get something that was quality but the software was easily understood. I’m considering the Garmin VIRB. I’d like to be able to capture atc audio, be able to type comments on the screen and to fast forward the video in parts and to include still shots in the video.

I don't know if it is the best, as I have not used anything else yet, but I'm happy with the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 and I'm OK with Garmin VIRB Edit soft.
Well - I went to the Garmin site and it looks like they’ve discontinued the Ultra 30 - as far as I can tell it looks like they’re getting out of that line of product.

Has anyone tried the Telemetry software? It appears to work with most of the newer cameras. They have a well hidden trial download, but only good for 3 days I think. I was thinking about giving it a try for the Insta360 One RS camera.

Rusty

That looks a pretty comprehensive package, and with good instructions on how to use.

I believe (haven't tried yet) that you can get telemetry on the Insta360 by connecting it to your phone (or GPS remote, or, of all things, Apple Watch) and then using the application on your phone to add it to the video. It doesn't look comprehensive, but it's something that can be done.

Insta360 does have a "stats" feature that allows adding an overlay, but it doesn't work with their PC software. I can't imagine using a phone to do anything related to video editing. I guess I'm officially old :)
Rusty

Yeah, I haven't used the phone stuff (yet), but I was figuring it was going to be a pain. I thought I'd probably get it sort of close to what I want (mostly the tracking or key framing) and then edit it on my PC, with its nice big screen.

I have a Tascam DR-10L, stand alone audio recorder. I stick the mic in my ear cup and it picks up all ATC and intercom. To keep the mic from rattling around in the ear cup, I simply pull the wire gently until the mic bottoms out in the ear cup. Using a noise cancelling headset, this provides excellent audio. You do have to sync the file to your video in post, so I recommend a good percussive at the start of the video. I usually make sure both the audio and video are going, then clap loudly so the video can see me do it and the headset mic picks it up (it has to be fairly close to the headset's mic). This creates a large spike in the audio that I can easily sync to the video. If you do this before engine start, the camera will pick it up as well (assuming the camera is in the cabin). You can see the spike in the video's audio, making the sync even easier.

Well - I ended up buying a Gopro Max - have a feeling it's my first of several cameras. I've discovered the tools aren't as important as the skills in editing - just posted my first attempt.

Dan

Nice job Dan. I flew with Mark last fall, and it was fantastic. Loved that M24, but haven't won the lottery yet :) I'm from Pensacola, and we used to fly over to Dauphin Island for supper. The local restaurants would come get you at the airport. Departing south over the bay at night, with overcast might as well be IFR, because it's pitch black.

As for video, I did end up buying the Telemetry Overlay, and it's pretty nice. The Insta360 One RS needs a separate GPS device, and the gyro data is only embedded if you have the stabilization turned off. I ended up asking the software guys a few questions, and the discussion turned to sending them a log file from my Dynon. They already support many other flight logs, and they think they can provide support for the Dynon as well. If so, I'll be able to add actual instrument data, rather than GPS derived data. I tried a Hero10 earlier, but I didn't keep it due to the video stuttering in turns, and overheating issues. The 9 and 10 both have all the sensors built in for the overlay, so I ordered a 9 to try next.

Rusty